Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2020, 04:01 PM   #15

Gary, a couple of weeks ago during a tornado threat in North Carolina, had planned an escape route while watching the radar and readied the coach for a run. Thankful the storm parted and went around us. In those situations, I just can't sit around and not do nothing.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #16

Tim

I understand completely. Glad it missed you.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:49 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
I subscribe to a paid weather radar service, my display updates as fast as the NWS data can be streamed, typically about 30 seconds or so for hi-def TDR.
Okay, but the NWS data itself is not real-time. Signals must be gathered from numerous weather radar sites and combined in a sophisticated computer network to make those individual local radar images into the one continuous one that you see on your screen. All this is not instantaneous and results in a delay of up to 15 minutes.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:54 PM   #18

Why not cut in a dedicated pad?
Let the covered shelter take the pounding and save the coach, at least while you are home.
For the same reasons, we’ve left the coach in Phoenix so I don’t have to deal with the same weather phenomenon here.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
BTW, since you mention your motorcycle, underpasses on the interstate can protect from hail, but they are NO PROTECTION from strong winds and tornadoes. They create funneling which can significantly increase the actual wind speeds. If there is hail, there are also likely strong winds somewhere under the storm. Safe driving in the Spring weather.

Back roads, no over passes until I go to I-95, which was about a 30 mile ride. Plains area of Georgia. Flat for miles.
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
BTW, since you mention your motorcycle, underpasses on the interstate can protect from hail, but they are NO PROTECTION from strong winds and tornadoes. They create funneling which can significantly increase the actual wind speeds. If there is hail, there are also likely strong winds somewhere under the storm. Safe driving in the Spring weather.
exactly, we are supposed to get some big storms tomorrow here in central/south Oklahoma with golf ball to baseball size hail with that comes very high winds. I will just stay put here at the house and watch it I guess.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:42 PM   #21

Hail storm years ago.

We had fifteen minutes of hail the size of tennis balls.It destroyed the aluminum siding on our house. Broke windows and put holes in our roof. Something like 21thousand dollars worth of damage. Find a good contractor that can take pictures and knows how to itemize the damage. Fought with our homeowners for a year and a half. Got all new siding ect. Many got only half their roof replaced. This was wrong as all the roof got damaged. Best of luck with your insurance co. Get a good contractor and all will be well.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #22

Hail storm years ago.

We had fifteen minutes of hail the size of tennis balls.It destroyed the aluminum siding on our house. Broke windows and put holes in our roof. Something like 21thousand dollars worth of damage. Find a good contractor that can take pictures and knows how to itemize the damage. Fought with our homeowners for a year and a half. Got all new siding ect. Many got only half their roof replaced. This was wrong as all the roof got damaged. Best of luck with your insurance co. Get a good contractor and all will be well.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:52 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Okay, but the NWS data itself is not real-time. Signals must be gathered from numerous weather radar sites and combined in a sophisticated computer network to make those individual local radar images into the one continuous one that you see on your screen. All this is not instantaneous and results in a delay of up to 15 minutes.
You actually can get near real time Doppler radar data at weather.radar.gov Select the site of the radar closest to you on the map and on the left side there is a menu of different views. Scans are automatic and when severe weather threatens the individual radars go into rapid scan mode. A composite of all sites is available there, but not as pretty.

That said, it is not made for consumer consumption as Congress passed laws to prevent the NWS from putting out products that compete with commercial companies. The data also requires some level of interpretation...but obviously if it is dark red that is headed your way, it is time to take cover.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:05 AM   #24

Dave

I put in all combinations of the URL that you wrote about for the RADAR image and my browser will not bring up any of them. Have you tried it recently? Maybe it is my connection for some reason.

Gary
Old 04-28-2020, 08:22 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Dave

I put in all combinations of the URL that you wrote about for the RADAR image and my browser will not bring up any of them. Have you tried it recently? Maybe it is my connection for some reason.

Gary
Try radar.weather.gov
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:25 AM   #26

Thank you.... that did the trick.

Gary
Old 04-28-2020, 08:36 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Just before posting above. Just try google search then, “NWS Doppler weather radar” and go to the “.gov” site. There are six alternatives. select “National weather service Doppler weather radar sites”. This gives you a map. Select the blue dot closest to where you are interested and touch it...try LaCrosse WI as I know they have weather today. Then on the left side select under “observations” select “Doppler radar”. This will give you the most current scan. Note on left, there are now alternatives like “base” or “composite”. Could not get “Loop” to work this AM. Velocities are also offered, but there is some interpretative knowledge to use some of these other products.

Note, it is not very user friendly...our Congressional friends barred that, as stated earlier.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:17 PM   #28

Away from Hail

Sorry to hear about your troubles guys but sure glad I live in the NW where we only have to worry about rain, the wet kind not the solid type.
Craneboy302 is offline   Reply With Quote