Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2023, 05:53 AM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If it burnt out with a hair dryer, it was on deaths doorstep anyway.

What do you run on it now ?
I agree…. It should not have failed.
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2023, 07:08 AM   #72

Regarding the generator. The absolute worst thing you can do is NOT use your generator. I don't care if you MH is wall-to-wall solar, the day will come when you'll need that generator and if it's been sitting for weeks or maybe months will little to no use, you've just increased the odds of your generator letting you down. Also, generators love a "load", don't run them without one for a long period. We stay a month at a time in locations if we like where we are. I'll start the generator every other week and put the A/C's on line (heat if we need that) and let the generator do it's job by burning out old fuel and bringing in new fuel. This is true of a diesel generator but much more of an issue for gasoline generators due to fuel shellac. I retired from the marine industry and worked on both gas and diesel, folks would call me with a 10 year old boat and say; "It's only got 200 hrs on the generator and it won't start, or it starts and shuts down" A totally avoidable issue by simply running it regularly. I've seen diesel generators 20 years old with 4,000 hrs that run like a champ. Good maintenance and use.
Banjoman47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 07:18 AM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoman47 View Post
Regarding the generator. The absolute worst thing you can do is NOT use your generator. I don't care if you MH is wall-to-wall solar, the day will come when you'll need that generator and if it's been sitting for weeks or maybe months will little to no use, you've just increased the odds of your generator letting you down. Also, generators love a "load", don't run them without one for a long period. We stay a month at a time in locations if we like where we are. I'll start the generator every other week and put the A/C's on line (heat if we need that) and let the generator do it's job by burning out old fuel and bringing in new fuel. This is true of a diesel generator but much more of an issue for gasoline generators due to fuel shellac. I retired from the marine industry and worked on both gas and diesel, folks would call me with a 10 year old boat and say; "It's only got 200 hrs on the generator and it won't start, or it starts and shuts down" A totally avoidable issue by simply running it regularly. I've seen diesel generators 20 years old with 4,000 hrs that run like a champ. Good maintenance and use.
I don’t think anyone is saying don’t use the generator, but whether it is a good thing to run a generator for short periods like heating something up. And whether you can run short loads off your inverter. I 100% agree to run the generator at least monthly with a load to keep it running well, but for light loads, you are better off running off the inverter.
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 07:19 AM   #74

National RV Owners Club
I have a 3000w inverter connected to (2) GC batteries. Not sure on the amp hours but it is not high. We routinely use the coffee maker (10-11amps @ 120V) and run the microwave for a few minutes with no problems. I installed the inverter and ATS myself as our 1998 National Seabreeze did not come with that option installed.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:01 AM   #75

Although I am just a newbie learning my class A and generator, in our class B I beefed up the 1000 watt inverter that came with the van to a 2000 watt. Installed 100 watt solar and did just what the post questioned. We would have a Keurig coffee each morning and pull over for heated lunches each day by inverter. The panel would easily charge the batteries for our next meal. I am also a firm believer in working the gennie. I do love the stealthiness of solars/inverters however and still miss it.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:29 AM   #76

Send a message via AIM to Our05Winneba
You never said what batteries you have (battery type, and total capacity), so cannot reply exactly to your situation.

In our 2005 Class A I have 1 1500 watt inverter powered by 400 Ah of Lithium batteries. We have always used the microwave as much as we wanted using this setup with out ever a single problem. Even use the microwave to run for 6 - 8 minutes on full power when needed for cooking frozen dinners, etc.. We love it. Yes - it can draw down the batteries a bit, but then we don't have to use the microwave for hours either. And we love having those 4 BB batteries - they are fantastic! So much better than the 4 deep cycle lead acid batteries we used to have - which just did not work well at all.

For your situation - the 3000 watt inverter is more than enough. It's the batteries you have which will determine actual use of your microwave
Our05Winneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 04:54 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
I don’t think anyone is saying don’t use the generator, but whether it is a good thing to run a generator for short periods like heating something up. And whether you can run short loads off your inverter. I 100% agree to run the generator at least monthly with a load to keep it running well, but for light loads, you are better off running off the inverter.

Not sure why a few people think some/many of us who use inverters don't completely understand generators and their health and care?

Maybe we use inverters because we really DO understand generators and their use.

As I posted before, if you are stopping long enough to start the genset, let it warm up, use it, let it run under pretty good load till the oil temp comes up, let it cool then shut it down...sure...use it. My lunch stops are rarely that long.

I have other reasons per month to use it or do the manufacturer suggested monthly exercise to keep it healthy.

But to go through all that for a leftover warm up? Nope.....not me...the batteries, inverter and microwave have all been pretty well perfected through the years to handle that job. The 4-8kW genset is wayyyy overkill in my experience
Psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 05:23 PM   #78

Another good reason to use the inverter to heat up lunch at a rest stop is so you don't send your generator ehxaust into the RV next door.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 05:41 PM   #79

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Another good reason to use the inverter to heat up lunch at a rest stop is so you don't send your generator ehxaust into the RV next door.
Now if we just can convince all the truck drivers not to run their engines in rest stops.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 06:21 PM   #80

Why have an inverter if you don't use it for short (microwave) uses?
If you run a gennie for those short uses you are likely doing more harm than good... similar to very short car trips not being good for an auto.
Yes every use of a batty detracts from. It's overall life.... if you don't use it why bother... leave it on the shelf and you never have to replace it.
For that matter, every time you use your MH it detracts from its "life" park it home and don't use it. You will save fuel costs. If fact, why bother buying a MH at all... it will only cost you $?
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:18 PM   #81

I have a 700 watt microwave and run it just fine with a 100ah Chins LiFePO4 battery with a Reliable brand 1500 watt inverter.
jvanhare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, microwave