Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2016, 05:52 AM   #1

RVibrake2 Experiences?

Hello Everyone,

- We are thinking about purchasing the RVibrake2 to tow our 2016 Lincoln MKX with our 2013 Anthem. Our RV service center is recommending this solution as opposed to other solutions we were considering. We are researching the RVibrake2, watched several videos as their website, and reviewed many reviews.

- Please let us know if anyone has any experiences with the RBibrake2

Thx Very Much!

Stan and Vee
Stan Boddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2016, 05:58 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Have it in a wrangler for 2 years and it works great for us. I lost the monitor unit that goes in the RV but I don't need it. It pulls out quickly when you want the toad for transportation and I've driven 3 days with no negative effects on starting or operations. It just runs off the wrangler battery when sitting on the driver floor. You can move it to the next toad if and when you have to. I like it. hope my opinion helps, mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:34 AM   #3

We've had our RVi2 for several years. No issues with the exception of occasionally loosing monitor connectivity. This rarely happens and It usually resets quickly. I especially like the the ease of set up, low profile design and lite weight of the unit. Get the optional carrying case for the unit (size of a briefcase). Additionally the folks at RVI are great to work with if you have any issues or need parts or accessories.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Boddie View Post
Hello Everyone,

- We are thinking about purchasing the RVibrake2 to tow our 2016 Lincoln MKX with our 2013 Anthem. Our RV service center is recommending this solution as opposed to other solutions we were considering. We are researching the RVibrake2, watched several videos as their website, and reviewed many reviews.

- Please let us know if anyone has any experiences with the RBibrake2

Thx Very Much!

Stan and Vee

HI Stan,
As with my new 2016 Ford Explorer, I'm sure you will need to disconnect the negative terminal battery cable when towing your Lincoln. The RVI brake2 requires a hot 12 volt receptacle when towing. That might be a problem. Have you considered an Air Force One braking unit? That's what I use and it works great.
https://smibrake.com/index.php
Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Stan,
Just my experience with brake systems requiring 12V to operate. They will draw the battery down if you forget to recharge for an overnight stop. (I did that a lot) If your tow vehicle requires the battery to be disconnect (my new one will) it is kind of a pain to work around. It also limits the brake system to be moved if you change toads.

I went with a 100% mechanical brake system for those reasons after my experience with a power required brake system.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #6

Hi Mark,

- Thx for your insight! We are attracted to the portability of the unit and are seeking to understand aspects that might have unforeseen preventable consequences. We value your insight and opinion!

Thx Again!

Stan and Vee
Old 04-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #7

Hi Bam,

- Thx for your insight! We also are attracted to the apparent simplistic set up, portability, light weight (8 pounds), and apparently wonderful customer service. We do desire to learn more about any drain on the tow car battery and will continue to research this aspect of the RVibrake2. I learned from the website there is a battery charger accessory that we can get that might address any tow car battery drain concerns. More research in store for us.

Thx Again!

Stan
Old 04-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #8

I haven't bought my brake system but sure like the simplicity of the M&G system. Perhaps I'll start a thread on that but if anybody has thoughts on that vs. RVi it would assist me and possibly the OP. Boxes in the floor in my toad just seems "awkward" to me.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #9

Hi Sammie,

- Thx for your note and insight! Congrats on your new Explorer! We are researching the extent to which we will need to disconnect and reconnect battery cables. We, especially my bride, are hoping not to need to disconnect or reconnect battery cables during our travels. I will be addressing these concerns with our service center. We also will be researching other solutions including the Air Force One solution.

- Thx again for your valuable insight!

Stan
Old 04-01-2016, 10:52 AM   #10

Hi Brobox,

- Thx for your valuable insight! We are hoping to invest in a solution that has minimal drain on the Lincoln MKX battery. We are also hoping that the solution will not require the tow car battery to be disconnected although we need to research this aspect more. The RVibrake2 website has a video on a battery charge accessory and we will research this accessory. I believe we will learn a lot with the solution that we select during our first few travels with the tow car.

- Thx again for your valuable insight!

Stan
Old 04-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
To me, it is a pain in the a** to have to install and remove any brake system each time you tow. I have a USGear Unified Tow Brake system that is permanently installed in my car. It operates through the umbilical cable that works the tail lights, and it requires zero time at all to prepare for or to stop towing. The only thing that I have to do at all regarding the brake system is to clip on the breakaway cable to the baseplate of my car, which takes me less than 5 seconds. It automatically charges the car battery from the MH while towing, so you will never have battery problems. There is noting to store away when not towing.

Yes, this system requires installation in the car and MH, but you do it once for the life of your MH and toad and never have to touch it again until you change cars or motorhomes, then you can install it in the new vehicle.

There are other systems that require only a one-time installation and are nearly as easy to use as the USGear. One is M&G, another is the SMI Stay-In-Play, and a very popular one is SMI Air Force One.

If you get one of these you will spend a little for installation up front, but will save gobs of time and annoyance thereafter for as long as you own your vehicles. The only way I would use a portable braking system is if I intended to switch tow cars often, and then it would be with a great sense of loss of convenience.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #12

I vote for the Airforce one. I've had the same one since 2008 and xferred it between vehicles and mh when we trade. Directly proportional to mh brakes and all there is to hook up is air line and break away cable. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:56 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I have the Simi Air Force braking system with a blue ox tow bar. I have had one instance one the interstate where a car change lanes in front of me trying to make a exit we were passing. I really had to stand on the brakes to avoid hitting them. The proportional braking kept my jeep wrangler tracking perfectly straight behind me. Once installed, there is noting to remove or install except air hose connection in the bumper. It uses no power.
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #14

As respects to your concern about the battery my friend places one of the jump start type units on the passenger floor and plugs in the 12 bolt adapter into it. He says the battery needs to be topped off upon arrival, however, zero impact on the automobile battery. I thought it was genius.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Tags
brake