Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
RVP/Airxcel/Coleman MACH 8 A/C Quiet Outside Fan Kit

Regarding the newer RVP/Airxcel/Coleman MACH 8 Low Profile air conditioner units found on most Entegra models since about the mid-2013 model year. These units have an outside cooling fan that blows straight upward and to many is noticeably noisier outside the coach than most other older style AC units.

The noise may not be an issue for some, although we have found the acoustics of the campsite do seem to have an impact on how the noise is perceived. The noise from the fans in these units for some reason seems to carry longer distances in many situations. In our case, one day the noise precipitated a nasty turn of events in the form of a "hostile response" from a campground neighbor (100' away no less) complete with verbal and physical threats. The police were called and the hostile neighbor removed. While this is probably a rare case, going forward we absolutely have every desire to minimize the possibility of attracting that type of negative attention again.

Well fortunately there is a fix. After a call to RVP it turns out they have recognized the noise issue and have redesigned the outside cooling fan. The old fan has 6 narrow blades, the new fan has 3 wide blades. Both move the same amount of air so there is no reduction in cooling capacity.

The new fan kit can be purchased for about $18 each directly from RVP. Three kits are needed of course for our Entegras. The part number is 1472B5041 and the kit includes the new blade and a support bracket. It is very easy to install. You will need a T-25 Torx bit and about 5 minutes per AC unit. RVP service can be reached at (316) 832-4357.

The photos attached show the old fan, the new fan and the installation instructions that come in the kit.

The old fan makes a readily noticeable "wooshing" or white noise kind of sound, the new fan noise is much less noticeable and lower pitched with a slight "hum" element to it.

The sound from the new fan, for whatever reason, does not seem to carry over distances like the sound from the old fan. To my ears, at ground level it sounds perhaps even a bit quieter now than most of the typical older RV AC units. When we stand directly next to our coach we can barely hear it at all, although some may perceive the slight "hum" more than others. Further away from the coach when in line of sight with the AC unit it is a bit louder of course but still significantly quieter than with the old fan.

It is a huge improvement over the old fan in my opinion and is worth a try if the outside AC fan noise is an issue for you or your neighbors.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG8112.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	66877   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG7971.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	66878  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG8113.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	66879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG8114.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	66880  

voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
That's great info....makes you wonder though about the noise complaint...if it was noise or mis-placed envy. Anyway...i agree that the external fan is a little noisy...have to look into the new fan. Thanks.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Regarding the newer RVP/Airxcel/Coleman MACH 8 Low Profile air conditioner units found on most Entegra models since about the mid-2013 model year. These units have an outside cooling fan that blows straight upward and to many is noticeably noisier outside the coach than most other older style AC units.

The noise may not be an issue for some, although we have found the acoustics of the campsite do seem to have an impact on how the noise is perceived. The noise from the fans in these units for some reason seems to carry longer distances in many situations. In our case, one day the noise precipitated a nasty turn of events in the form of a "hostile response" from a campground neighbor (100' away no less) complete with verbal and physical threats. The police were called and the hostile neighbor removed. While this is probably a rare case, going forward we absolutely have every desire to minimize the possibility of attracting that type of negative attention again.

Well fortunately there is a fix. After a call to RVP it turns out they have recognized the noise issue and have redesigned the outside cooling fan. The old fan has 6 narrow blades, the new fan has 3 wide blades. Both move the same amount of air so there is no reduction in cooling capacity.

The new fan kit can be purchased for about $18 each directly from RVP. Three kits are needed of course for our Entegras. The part number is 1472B5041 and the kit includes the new blade and a support bracket. It is very easy to install. You will need a T-25 Torx bit and about 5 minutes per AC unit. RVP service can be reached at (316) 832-4357.

The photos attached show the old fan, the new fan and the installation instructions that come in the kit.

The old fan makes a readily noticeable "wooshing" or white noise kind of sound, the new fan noise is much less noticeable and lower pitched with a slight "hum" element to it.

The sound from the new fan, for whatever reason, does not seem to carry over distances like the sound from the old fan. To my ears, at ground level it sounds perhaps even a bit quieter now than most of the typical older RV AC units. When we stand directly next to our coach we can barely hear it at all, although some may perceive the slight "hum" more than others. Further away from the coach when in line of sight with the AC unit it is a bit louder of course but still significantly quieter than with the old fan.

It is a huge improvement over the old fan in my opinion and is worth a try if the outside AC fan noise is an issue for you or your neighbors.

Rob
Ordering 3 Monday. Thanks for the heads up. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you for the great information. Did RVP happen to give a date of when or if they switched over to the 3 blade fans?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #5

Ironic of the timing of this thread. We arrived in Bend Or a few days ago. Yesterday a neighbor asked me if I could not run by a/c so much because its so noisey. We sit outside with it on and dont notice much difference from the other ac's around us. This is the first time its happened but I will order the new fans. I was on the roof today with them running and they are very loud when you are next to them.

Thanks for the info.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
You know, I'm going to get the new blades...but com on...it is low 90's in Bend. Of course AC is going to be on. Crap the Canadians are mowing grass in this campground. Don't they know it is our holiday...or really, there is going to be AC running in campgrounds in the Summer! And there is going to be some noise during the days.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
You know, I'm going to get the new blades...but com on...it is low 90's in Bend. Of course AC is going to be on. Crap the Canadians are mowing grass in this campground. Don't they know it is our holiday...or really, there is going to be AC running in campgrounds in the Summer! And there is going to be some noise during the days.
Yeah I was taken back by it. I said I am sorry but i would like to keep cool just like everyone else. I also told him I sit outside at night and watch tv, doesnt bother me at all. Honestly I hear my neighbors ac on both sides of me and they sound the same as mine. When I got on the roof it was a whole different story. Some people must have boring lives i guess
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Thank you for the great information. Did RVP happen to give a date of when or if they switched over to the 3 blade fans?
That would be good to know, I started looking at the Mach 8 when they first came out for an Airstream Trailer I have and the noise issue surfaced right away. I think it effects some people more than others. I may look at the Mach 8 again since I still want to replace the old AC and see what I can find out.

Good information thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman62 View Post
Yeah I was taken back by it. I said I am sorry but i would like to keep cool just like everyone else. I also told him I sit outside at night and watch tv, doesnt bother me at all. Honestly I hear my neighbors ac on both sides of me and they sound the same as mine. When I got on the roof it was a whole different story. Some people must have boring lives i guess
Yeah...next thing you know, you are going have to turn that outside TV down...might disturb the local beer bust:( I just sat hear and listened to my #3. Didn't sound bad at all...but when I walk down the hill 50 yards away, I hear lauder than directly below it, so maybe the sound radiates out horizontally. As I said, I'll order the new fan blades and install them. It is good for folks to open up the covers and see what is under there anyway (pop four star or phillips screws with your drill and appropriate head).
Old 07-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I'd love to have someone come to me complaining agressively about normal a/c noise when itīs 80+ outside...

Dumb people, they're everywhere...
JoyalRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #11

I had made a post a few months back concerning the noise made by my AC units as I had also received complaints from neighbors. No one else seemed to have any issues with theirs at that time. Naturally my dealer could not hear any difference when taken in for some service. Somewhat relieved to know it wasn't just me. Undoubtedly a big enough issue for them to redesign the fan. Sorry it has to be at our expense though.
sweetandsour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #12

We have a 2013 Winnie 40U Journey. ,with three 13,500 Coleman's.
Suppose they could be the same? We also have a lot of noise!
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
i put two of these on my motorhome last sept our motorhome is low profile
and the noise is bad i will need to order the kits
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:51 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Didn't think to ask that. Not sure if they have switched or just offer the 3 blade as an option on new production. Maybe one of the folks ordering the new blades can find out and report back. I'm pretty sure you can see which blade you have without even removing the AC unit cover.

Rob
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan