Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2015, 07:29 AM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
That's silly , you can not blame the system on one stupid driver. My guess is they somehow put it on a step deck, in which case would be over height. I will trust professional heavy haulers over tow truck guys any day ! The golden rule is if in doubt as to your height, do not proceed, stop and hold up traffic, but do take the time to measure the load and the overpass. For the most part it would be an oversize load, state permits would not route driver over a road with a low overpass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
May be silly but it happened and it was the tow companies Landoll roll back hydraulic low boy. You are assuming a LOT if you think all tow truck drivers go through all the proper steps that you outlined. This happened in Texas and I doubt anyone bothered with permits, it happens all the time. Besides I did NOT blame the system, just pointed out that as the owner you should check everything and take nothing for granted. Yes, the responsibility falls to the tow company but you are the one who could be without a coach while dealing with insurance companies, repairing or replacing the coach etc. all JMHO

2016 Cornerstone 45B
Formerly 2011 & 2013 Anthems and 2015 Cornerstone
2014 Lincoln MKT towed
Not to get sidetracked here but the one thing you have both commented on here is the "human factor". One person's good experience with a towing system can be another's bad experience based on only one difference, the actual person doing the task.

This is no different than all of the threads on the forum discussing people's poor experience with a certain mechanic or shop. Some people have good experiences whereas others have terrible experiences, some with the same shop.

When my friend's Newell had to be towed the driver of the low-boy was very professional and consciencious of the job he was doing. Also because the owner and I were standing there watching the loading but I think this guy would have been the same regardless based on what I saw.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #72

Exactly my point Mike. Proper equipment helps but it still depends on the operator.

2016 Cornerstone 45B
2014 Lincoln MKT towed
Old 11-14-2015, 11:33 AM   #73

Quote:
May be silly but it happened and it was the tow companies Landoll roll back hydraulic low boy. You are assuming a LOT if you think all tow truck drivers go through all the proper steps that you outlined. This happened in Texas and I doubt anyone bothered with permits, it happens all the time. Besides I did NOT blame the system, just pointed out that as the owner you should check everything and take nothing for granted. Yes, the responsibility falls to the tow company but you are the one who could be without a coach while dealing with insurance companies, repairing or replacing the coach etc. all JMHO

2016 Cornerstone 45B
2014 Lincoln MKT towed
First, a Landoll roll back is no low boy. They are good and provide a great vehicle for a towing co. They are much higher off the ground than a detach neck lowboy.
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #74

They are a little higher for sure but a detach neck lowboy long enough to hold a 45 Ft coach is very rare even here in oil country and believe me you do not want an oily loading you coach. All JMHO

2016 Cornerstone 45B
2014 Lincoln MKT towed
Old 11-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #75

Quote:
They are a little higher for sure but a detach neck lowboy long enough to hold a 45 Ft coach is very rare even here in oil country and believe me you do not want an oily loading you coach. All JMHO

2016 Cornerstone 45B
2014 Lincoln MKT towed
We do not know what really happened , so any point is mute. Yes a 45' in the belly DD would have to be a streach and considering the wt. of these big coaches, not all trailers that can open up to 45' could handle the weight. There are a lot more today than ever before. We still have a carrier that hauls a lot of our big loads and they have 25 in their fleet that could do a motor coach.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Not to get sidetracked here but the one thing you have both commented on here is the "human factor". One person's good experience with a towing system can be another's bad experience based on only one difference, the actual person doing the task.

This is no different than all of the threads on the forum discussing people's poor experience with a certain mechanic or shop. Some people have good experiences whereas others have terrible experiences, some with the same shop.

When my friend's Newell had to be towed the driver of the low-boy was very professional and consciencious of the job he was doing. Also because the owner and I were standing there watching the loading but I think this guy would have been the same regardless based on what I saw.

Mike.
True, to a point, then if you take a look at the Companies track record you can learn a lot more ! We soon learn what shops to stay away from, and if you have been at this a long time....the list is long.Trucking today is a lot different than in the old days when I was on the road. The industry was deregulated in 1980 and following years. The outcome has been a mixed bag and the choices are many to choose from.