Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Safe T Plus steering shock

For those of you that have installed the Safe T Plus steering shock, I would appreciate everyone's opinion on how much it really helped.

I have a 2017 Aspire 44B that tended to wander back and forth and constantly adjusting the steering to keep it straight. If i was on a flat good road, it would run straight. After reading a number of the post about others having the same steering issues and seeing a number of folks installing the Safe T Plus steering shock, I decided to bite the bullet and had it installed by them.

Prior to having it installed i had to move the steering wheel considerably (3 inches to each side) while going down the road, depending on how bad the road was. As everyone knows this becomes very tiring after 5 or 6 hours of driving. After the steering shock was installed, I'm still having to correct a lot maybe 40-50% less. I guess I had assumed it would have improved the steering more.

I don't know if the steering box has an adjustment, like on a car, that can take some of the play out. I will have Spartan service check the steering on my next maintenance.

Just curious is the steering just a problem on Spartan Chassis in that it is loose and an honest opinion about the effect of the steering shock after installed.
rlwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
You most likely need to grease the grease zerts on the chassis. This will help with the steering. Make sure you get all of them. I have about 30 on mine. After you do this drive it for several miles for it to work in then you will see a difference.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #3

I Googled on the iRV2.com search button, at the top of this page, and received 14,400 hits for Safe T Plus. I would suggest you start there in your quest for information.

Good luck

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwhite View Post
I don't know if the steering box has an adjustment, like on a car, that can take some of the play out. I will have Spartan service check the steering on my next maintenance.

Just curious is the steering just a problem on Spartan Chassis in that it is loose and an honest opinion about the effect of the steering shock after installed.
Just my experience with the steering box. It was found to be 180 degrees out of "timing" causing my steering to wander like your are experience. That did not correct it 100% but sure helped. It was Perry Legands front end shop that knew how to align a Spartan Chassis that finally solved the problem. My next big improvement was installing Koni shocks.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #5

Check your toe in. Use a tape measure from right to left tire at at 3 and 9 o'clock. The wheel should be pointing IN, towards each other, going foward about an 1/8". If they are not, they tend to wander.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:35 PM   #6

The Safe-T-Plus is a steering dampener. As such, it will only reduce steering inputs, both from the driver and feedback from the road (or blowout.)

Expecting any steering dampener to solve an inherent steering issue is unlikely to produce the best result.

For example, our coach had too much toe out. The result (among others) is a coach that wanders. A Steering dampener will help mask the symptom, but will absolutely not solve the root cause.

My suggestion is to remove the dampener, get a GOOD alignment, and then have the dampener reinstalled if you wish.

I have a Safe-T-Plus sitting in my shop, because after a good alignment, I don’t feel the need from a handling perspective. I typically drive 10-18 hours so I’m kinda picky about how a coach handles.

Eventually I would like to install it as an aid if we ever have a steer tire blow. But before that, I needed to ensure the alignment was spot on.

Best Regards,

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #7

As twinboat said, it can be your toe-in. My Aspire wandered a lot. Entegra agreed to pay for an alignment. The shop found the toe-in to be way off and fixed it. After that, it drove straight and true.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree with comments above. Ensure alignment, tire pressures set by weight, and all steering and suspension components are operating properly - then add any third party adds.

We recently added safetyTplus to our Freightline with straight front axle. All was goid before install. After install the steering wheel return to center is improved in around town driving. Straight line tracking is somewhat improved needing fewer steering inputs. The most noticeable improvement is in very windy conditions - huge improvement in resisting being pushed around. Plus there is of course the safety factor in the case of a front tire failure. Overall I am very pleased with the add of the SafetyTplus to our coach. IMHO and YMMV.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:50 PM   #9

"I have a 2017 Aspire 44B that tended to wander back and forth and constantly adjusting the steering to keep it straight. If i was on a flat good road, it would run straight."

As others have stated, I would certainly look for other issues that may be affecting your steering.

We also have a '17 Aspire 44B, and - especially after an alignment and chassis lube - I could easily drive with one hand on the wheel, through curves, hills etc...
[This is just for comparison - I do NOT EVER drive that way...] Thanks,

BG
BobG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #10

Check the toe in as mentioned above. The tape measure at the front and rear of the tires cross coach is as accurate as any alignment. This will quickly confirm if the toe is set correctly.

Grease the king pin zerks. Get the weight off the front tires when you grease the king pins. Lots of people have discovered dry king pins from the factory that cause the wandering due to the added stiction. It causes you to turn the wheel further than necessary when you correct. It also inhibits the natural on-center reaction because of the caster built into the front suspension. The caster should cause the front wheels to naturally find center. Friction from too little grease will inhibit this.

Front end alignment seems to be a continuing problem with Entergra (unfortunately.) The Spartan chassis will drive straight effortlessly if the alignment is correct. I found mine was not correct at all and drove much like you describe but worse. Entegra has to align the front end after they build the house on the chassis so the ball is in their court. You should be getting an alignment under warranty. Demand it...politely!

Like Chuck said, when the alignment is all correct and the coach has a good on-center fell then swap out for the Koni front shocks to get the ride quality you deserve for that much money.

I had a huge problem with this and finally chased it down with the alignment, etc. as described. Then I was further surprised at the additional improvement when I raised the front wheels and greased the zerks for the king pins like described. This was at 20,000 miles...surprise...when the greasing helped.

The steering stabilizer will not compensate for any of this.......
Old 01-09-2018, 07:19 PM   #11

Safe T Plus steering shock

rlwhite
I have an antique 09 Roadmaster, bought at age 5, now 9.
It was NEVER properly aligned for the first 5 years. My chassis and alignment shop adjusted the toe-in for about 100 bucks.
No Safe T Plus required when you get what you really need right off. No guessing. Bandaids are not relevant when true solutions are available.
Happy Trails!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I will agree with the others. If properly set up your coach should steer beautifully with no band-aids needed. Mine does, and I know of others who had issues like yours which completely vanished when they got the right service performed. I think a phone call or better yet a visit to Spartan is in order.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:11 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor 37GT View Post
You most likely need to grease the grease zerts on the chassis. This will help with the steering. Make sure you get all of them. I have about 30 on mine. After you do this drive it for several miles for it to work in then you will see a difference.
have already done that as I stay up on the required maintenance
Old 01-10-2018, 04:23 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks everyone for your replies, I will definitely get over to a shop to have the alignment and steering box checked.

I have heard pro's and con's about raising the front wheels before greasing but if I remember right (which isn't often these days) it seems Spartan said not to, so I have not done that. Will check with the shop when I take it in.

Thanks again and wish everyone safe travels and hope to meet up sometime down the road.

Tags
steering