Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2020, 02:20 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Samsung Icemaker Updated Repair Kit.

There have been many complaints posted about the Samsung icemaker freezing up with large deposit of ice forming in the back and below the ice tray. Also I heard complaints about the amount of noise the Samsung refrigerator generates. In my case both of these problems were related. The noise was coming from the cooling fan which is located on top of the auger assembly. My theory ice formed on the fan causing it to fail. I believe the ice formed because the water tube was not properly positioned and/or the water flow into the ice tray was not metered correctly. However, the fan continued to try to start replicating a type of noise you hear when motor tries to start but is unable. This fan circulates the air and is a very important part of the ice cube making process. I should note I was not able to tell where the noise was originating until I placed magnetic’s on the door switches because when you open the doors the noise stopped.

I have had my Samsung refrigerator icemaker worked on several times under warranty and out of warranty. The first time they did the icemaker service bulletin repair it included sealing the compartment with a special no odor silicon, replacing the ice tray, auger assembly, checking water fill hose placement, and checking the ice discharge flap for air leaks. WHAT IT DID NOT INCLUDE was replacement of the main control board which is located in the rear of the refrigerator. This revised board according to Samsung has new software to fix the icemaker issue. The new revised icemaker service bulletin parts list include’s the main control board. I just had that board installed, new icemaker tray and auger assembly, fill tube adjusted, and I am hopeful this will fix the problem. My refrigerator is super quite as it was when we picked up the motorhome.

When I had the refrigerator pulled out I also cleaned the cooling fins which are located right rear bottom of the unit. They were filled with dust which Is not good for overall refrigerator efficiency and could cause premature component failure.

One other point I believe can contribute to ice build up. If the ice tray happens to fill with water just before you start down the road it could slosh out. I make it a practice to turn the icemaker off the night prior to travel.

Replacing a refrigerator in one these motor homes is a big deal with certain amount risk, so may be this information can be helpful.

Ray
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2020, 04:07 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ray,
Thanks for your detailed account. How did you move the frig out from it’s location? Where are the bolts holding it in located? I’ve looked but can’t find them.
We are going through issues with our Samsung now. We defrosted the main cooling coil by followed a few uTube videos when the frig stopped cooling. I’m in the process of replacing the ice maker assembly but ran into a snag when the new assembly didn’t close completely even though it is the correct part #. So will be on the phone with Samsung tomorrow to try and resolve. I wasn’t aware of the revised service bulletin showing the main control board. Could you post it or I can PM you with my email. Thank you
Old 03-23-2020, 04:02 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grower15 View Post
Ray,
Thanks for your detailed account. How did you move the frig out from it’s location? Where are the bolts holding it in located? I’ve looked but can’t find them.
We are going through issues with our Samsung now. We defrosted the main cooling coil by followed a few uTube videos when the frig stopped cooling. I’m in the process of replacing the ice maker assembly but ran into a snag when the new assembly didn’t close completely even though it is the correct part #. So will be on the phone with Samsung tomorrow to try and resolve. I wasn’t aware of the revised service bulletin showing the main control board. Could you post it or I can PM you with my email. Thank you

In my case removing the refrigerator out in a 44B model is no easy task. It was posted by another member the process, but basically you need to remove the top facia trim, unscrew the top bracket from the ceiling, remove the plastic feet covers to reveal the floor hold down screws, and in my case drill out the center of the foot. The foot has a shaft going toward the carpet which dragged on the carpet so I drilled in out. This shaft may have been some type of screw but I was unable to find a way to get it out. Also remove the freezer drawer lock bracket screwed to the right side trim. In my case I had to be very careful not to cut the ceiling as I moved the refrigerator out. I protected the ceiling with some thin plastic covered paper. The clearance between the bracket and ceiling is minimal. Also I used a piece of 1/2” plywood with a 45 deg beveled edge to protect the tile. As you move the unit out retracting the slide 1” or 2” inches helps in the transition from carpet to the board.

When I replaced the refrigerator I drilled a new hole in the top of each bottom feet and screwed it to the floor.

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE ICEMAKER PARTS. There is a U-shaped cooling tube,aluminum color, if damaged makes your refrigerator unrepairable. It moves up and down slightly allowing the tray to be removed. I did not remove the parts but watched the tech during the repair.

Ray
Old 03-23-2020, 05:08 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. Our Samsung at home has given us many problems with the ice maker. I will check this out.

If you turn off the ice maker about an hour before you pull out of a spot, you shouldn't experience any sloshing of water. Just add this to your set up and break down procedures.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:05 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Alec,
I should have also so mentioned that when the tech removed the ice cube tray he had to take out 1 screw then pull down on the bottom of the tray to expose the cooling coil so it could be moved down slightly. Then he had to release the top locking tabs so the ice tray could be pulled straight out. When he replaced it he had to push hard toward the rear of the refrigerator until it snapped in place and then reversed the other procedures. I can not over stress the importance to be careful around that cooling coil.

This is the way I remember it however, I may have missed a step. The icemaker area must be completely free of ice build up before anything can be removed.

Ray
Old 03-23-2020, 08:54 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorr1821 View Post
Alec,

I should have also so mentioned that when the tech removed the ice cube tray he had to take out 1 screw then pull down on the bottom of the tray to expose the cooling coil so it could be moved down slightly. Then he had to release the top locking tabs so the ice tray could be pulled straight out. When he replaced it he had to push hard toward the rear of the refrigerator until it snapped in place and then reversed the other procedures. I can not over stress the importance to be careful around that cooling coil.

This is the way I remember it however, I may have missed a step. The icemaker area must be completely free of ice build up before anything can be removed.

Ray

Ray,
Thank you for the details on removing the frig. I’m not at that point yet but it always helps to be prepared. I’ve watched a UTube video from PartsDr (several times) which shows each of the steps you describe for the ice maker. I definitely don’t want to damage that coil. Thank you again for your info.
Alec
Old 03-24-2020, 06:28 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Ray and I have been communicating about our similar experiences with the Samsung fridge and icemaker. To add a few bits to his excellent info here are some photos of the fascia removal on my Aspire 44B.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/r7H9QdCSe4DY9Cez8

When viewing the photos open the info window to see any comments for that photo. Other models will have different woodwork but the process should be similar. In most cases the center trim piece should be pin nailed and fairly easy to remove, in my case the center trim had been removed previously several times for other reasons and was glued on with silicone which made removal very difficult.

It should also be noted that others that needed to remove the fridge on a 44B had sufficient clearance and did not need to remove the fascia. Apparently there is some variance in the slide room dimensions and/or perhaps the construction details of the fascia.

In regard to the hold down hardware, my fridge had a screw thru each of the front feet into the plywood floor. I suspect in Ray's case the screws were overdriven and the heads snapped off leaving the screw shaft in place with drilling the only way to get it out. My fridge also has a plate at the top that is screwed into the ceiling.

Once those attachments are removed the fridge should move fairly easily. I was able to pull mine out about a third of the way before it jammed against the fascia. The water supply line has plenty of slack.

Instead of plywood I used thin sheets of tempered hardboard to protect the floor. Ray's suggestion to retract the slide slightly to raise the slide floor should make things a bit easier.

My original Samsung icemaker repair was done 1/2018, it has since reverted to rapid ice buildup. I do know the fan on my Auger unit has again failed, I get an error code 40 when checking diagnostics, but I have also physically inspected it. Ray's info about a new control board has prompted me to see if Samsung will make good on this issue again, rather than trying to repair myself.

Also note that Samsung techs will use a steamer to help defrost a frozen ice chamber. Never use a hair dryer as the temps are much higher, this will warp the plastic parts and inner liner and that is not repairable.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Ray,

Alec, An A floor plan also requires removing wood fascia above fridge to pull out of the cabinet. Our Samsung issues were plentiful during our first 20 months with 6-7 tech visits before being replaced with a Whirlpool at our 2 year factory service visit.

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
Alec, An A floor plan also requires removing wood fascia above fridge to pull out of the cabinet. Our Samsung issues were plentiful during our first 20 months with 6-7 tech visits before being replaced with a Whirlpool at our 2 year factory service visit.

Brian,
Do you know how the frig is attached to the slide floor on an “A” floor plan? I inspected the underside of the slide and could not find any screw heads at all. Thank you
Old 03-24-2020, 08:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Brian,
Do you know how the frig is attached to the slide floor on an “A” floor plan? I inspected the underside of the slide and could not find any screw heads at all. Thank you
Ours isn't attached to the floor, only at the top. Believe me it's not an easy pull to get it out nor pushed back in !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:25 PM   #11

We have a Samsung refrigerator in our house in which the ice maker iced up 15 months after we bought it. Out of warranty, of course. Forcing it into defrost mode had no effect. I called the place where we bought it. They wanted $179 just to look at it, which wasn’t going to happen. As it was a known issue, they suggested calling Samsung.

When I called Samsung Customer Service, they looked up the serial number and told me it was out of warranty and that I’d have to pay for parts and labor. I did a little schmoozing, they put me on hold, then came back and offered to pay for parts. More schmoozing, more time on hold, after which they said they give me a one time exception, and cover both parts and warranty.

The repair guy replaced the ice maker, the main circuit board in back, and the auger motor as well. He also advised not to use eco-mode.

I hope this helps someone. My advice is to be nice, be persistent, and to keep in mind that they want to keep you as a customer.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:28 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
Ours isn't attached to the floor, only at the top. Believe me it's not an easy pull to get it out nor pushed back in !

Got it. I’ll bring the big slide in and check the top for screws. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #13

The screws are easy to see if you open the fridge door, they are screwed intot he ceiling of the slide through a metal plate that is epoxied to the top of the fridge.

I had multiple breakdowns of the Samsung including the $300 worth of parts to "fix" the icemaker. When the compressor went out and dumped oil on the floor, that was the last straw.

Replaced with LG, couldn't be happier.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post
The screws are easy to see if you open the fridge door, they are screwed intot he ceiling of the slide through a metal plate that is epoxied to the top of the fridge.

I had multiple breakdowns of the Samsung including the $300 worth of parts to "fix" the icemaker. When the compressor went out and dumped oil on the floor, that was the last straw.

Replaced with LG, couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the location of the screws. Needless to say, I never noticed them before (-:

Tags
air, repair