Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2022, 02:59 PM   #1

Samsung refrigerator repair or replace

We have a 2016 Cornerstone 45A and have been having refrigerator problems on and off for several months. The refrigerator portion will quit cooling and then sometimes the salesman mode will start. We have replaced the condenser fan motor and it worked fine for about a month. At this point I don't know whether to continue to try and fix it or replace it. Has anyone had a refrigerator replaced and if so what brand model did you buy. Are you happy with it? What is entailed in getting the old one out and the new one in? Is there someone you would recommend to do this? This is not something that we would try and do ourselves so any help or direction will be appreciated
Shebrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2022, 06:02 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Tough call on repair vs new. I believe we will see appliances becoming more available as the containers continue to get unloaded from abroad, so keeping an eye on a model that will fit the coach may be the best route to go. There have been several posts on here about replacing refrigerators, some have removed the doors and been able to get them out the entry door, and many seem to remove the drivers window and replace it that way. Of course that takes able bodies to help, and equipment able to lift, position in and out of the window, or door, and the new one back in.

I would always ask NIRVC as well and see what options you have. I have the equipment and personnel to try this if my refrigerator goes out, but not sure I would.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 01:46 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shebrak View Post
We have a 2016 Cornerstone 45A and have been having refrigerator problems on and off for several months. The refrigerator portion will quit cooling and then sometimes the salesman mode will start.
Our home Samsung frig is doing the same thing "going into demo mode on both sides". Will be serviced next week. If they get it fixed - will post what they did.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:59 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to PatMann
Recently my Samsung stopped cooling, then the freezer would work, but the fridge would not. Finally neither cooled. It was diagnosed that both boards needed to be replaced. Parts and labor for the repair was approximately $600, but I also had the added expense for my repair shop to first pull the fridge out for the appliance repairman. So far, so good.
PatMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 04:47 PM   #5

Many thanks for everyone's response and please let me know if the repairs fix the problem. Don’t mind the costs as much as I am afraid it won't fix the problem. Seems like several of us have these gremlins in our fridge but pulling it out and putting a new one in seems like a monumental task in our 45A. Will advise what we end up doing and how big a pain it is
Old 07-16-2022, 02:24 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Here is the route we took with our Samsung refrigerator just over a year ago. I'm confident your model and mine were/are exactly the same. Our issue started with the icemaker and overtime included the refrigerator portion not maintaining temperature.

After spending a couple of hundred dollars replacing parts, with all fixes being temporary if at all, I stumbled upon a thread on Facebook regarding Samsung refrigerators. I don't know if this is still applicable or not, but might be worth a try.

Reach out to Samsung, explain the problems you are having. Hopefully they will dispatch a repairman to you. They will change out a motherboard and if you are having icemaker issues, they will change out everything in the icemaker. There was no charge for this, they know there is a problem.

If it solves the issue, great. If not, the next step is to file a complaint, on-line, with the BBB in New Jersey. This is the corporate headquarters location for Samsung. Within 2 days, I heard back from the BBB. About a week later, Samsung contacted me and offered a prorated refund of $917.46. Long story short, I took it. The sum just about covered the cost for NIRVC Atlanta to remove and dispose of the old refrigerator and install the new one.

I located a new LG refrigerator at US Appliances in Michigan. It was reasonably priced and we opted for a model with no ice or water dispenser in the door, as this is a huge failure point for these things. Coordinated a delivery date with the shipping company directly to NIRVC. Everything worked out great and couldn't be happier with the refrigerator. Icemaker is in the freezer where it belongs and we still have a water dispenser next to the sink.

Hope this helps, Brian
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 03:05 PM   #7

Samsung

Many thanks for your response. NIRV changed out our ice maker in November at our cost. Worked for a couple of months and then the ice wouldn't freeze thru. Refrigerator started not cooling in March and now stops and starts intermittently cooling. At times the freezer will now do the same. Do you mind sharing the LG model that you went with as we do not care either about ice and water in the door. Also could you tell me the approximate number of labor hours to do the swap? Thanks in advance. We may try calling Samsung but as we have already had and paid for 2 repairs I'm not sure it would do any good
Old 07-16-2022, 05:18 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
This is the model we ordered. Very happy with it. If I remember correctly, it was 4 or 5 hours. They had to remove the drivers window to remove the old unit.

LFCC22426S LG 36" French Door Counter Depth Refrigerator with Smart Diagnosis and Smart Cooling System - PrintProof Stainless Steel

I would still contact Samsung. Tell them what you've done and it still isn't working. I know from the Facebook post I was referring to, Samsung was pretty eager to offer a settlement. They weren't willing to reimburse for lost food items, previous out of pocket repairs, or removal and installation of a refrigerator in an RV. Their offer at the time was just a prorated number. I checked with Entegra to see what the original purchase price was for the Samsung. It was $1929.00. I thought Samsungs offer was fair for a 5 year old refrigerator.

I just checked US Appliance. The unit we ordered is in stock and on sale.

Hope that helps, Brian
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 03:20 PM   #9

Samsung refrigerator

Thanks for responding Brian. I will let everyone know the route we take and the results.
Old 07-19-2022, 04:10 PM   #10

I purchase a Samsung fridge in my house and it was a gigantic POS. Repaired 3 times in the first year and still had issues. The customer service was abysmal. Convinced the store to exchange it. Got a Whirlpool on the advice of an appliance repairman who said “buy only Whirlpool, Frigidaire or Maytag”. No issues since.
BD104X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 06:59 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I had to repair our Samsung fridge twice. last year I decided to replace it. I chose a GE GYE22GYNFS fridge. Technically it has less space than the Samsung (22 cu ft) but Leann actually finds it roomier because it's more useful space rather than just cubic inches and it's easier to find room to put things. It does have a smaller ice maker so it does have less ice capacity than the Samsung but that is part of why we have more useful fridge space. Plus the freezer drawer is more useful and doesn't have that deep taper at the rear that the Samsung does.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 12:07 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
Our home Samsung frig is doing the same thing "going into demo mode on both sides". Will be serviced next week. If they get it fixed - will post what they did.
The control board was replaced and no issues for the last three days.

If you can get to the back of it "middle right if you are looking at it" was really easy to replace - just 3 or 4 screws has 8 or more PC like wire connections.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 06:33 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I did read about Samsung making cash settlements that Brian posted on an appliance board looking for a fix for another appliance. Since you have paid for repairs and it still doesn't work, Brian's suggested has been posted on other site with checks received. The LG has been popular with a few forum members, one liked his so much he had another one sitting in his hanger waiting to bring his new coach home. The swap was made when his coach was brand new.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 02:14 PM   #14

Samsung refrigerator

Well we have finally found a mobile repairman to look at our refrigerator. Evidently he is very familiar with Samsung as he calls them a piece of crap. After going thru all the codes he has diagnosed the problem as the control board. He has found one in Nashville and is returning on Thursday to replace it. Now new problem!! We are attempting to pull out the refrigerator to give him access to the rear and are having great difficulty in accomplishing this.. We have taken out the 2 screws that hold the refrigerator to the floor and have attempted to walk the refrigerator out. The refrigerator tilts and the door hits the cornice. In talking with Entegra customer service they are telling us we need to remove the cornice to get the refrigerator out. There has to be a better way so has anyone actually pulled their refrigerator out and if so how did you do this.?

Tags
ace, air, refrigerator, repair, replace