Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2020, 09:38 PM   #1

Sani-con

I don't have the sani-con now. I hook up my stinky and leave the gray valve open. How do you do that with the sani-con?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2020, 04:11 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
No need to leave the grey open, and it’s beneficial to have that grey water to flush the system after dumping the black, so I’d use the same procedure with the sanicon. I just bought a flow-jet macerator pump, and I definitely want that grey to flush the system after pumping the black stuff through the pump and hose.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:50 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As far as I know, if you have a macerator, you also have a bypass, which is just a regular sewer hose fitting. If you wanted to leave your grey tank open all the time, you'd just use the bypass and not use the macerator. Of course, you can use the bypass even if you don't leave your tanks open; I believe it's there so you can dump even if your macerator is broken or clogged.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:40 AM   #4

This has been the subject of a friendly disagreement of opinions on the forum here about 2 weeks ago. It was my understanding that you can bypass the macerator most just as someone said immediately above, and the contents of both tanks just flow through the stinky slinky just like in the pre-sanicon days.

However, I was informed by two or three owners who generally know their stuff and are accurate in what they say, that I was wrong, and that at least on 19s to the present (but I think all of the sanicon systems), that the macerator is never bypassed, and that everything passes through the macerator. The thread that this issue came up on was a thread that the owner was lamenting that his macerator pump was not working, probably full and clogged, and wondering what to do. Owners who feel they know this issue intimately, said that you cannot just bypass the macerator, and if you leave your valves open, what makes it through is just what makes it through the macerator.

Now, I really dont know the answer because I never leave my gray or black valves open for long periods of time. I open the valves to dump, dump through the macerator, and close the valves as soon as the tanks are empty. The macerator is run each time I dump the tanks and is used to force the fluids out of the vertical pipe that runs from the macerator up to the sanicon hose compartment and out to the dump system. I dont try to bypass any step. It takes just a few minutes and I am able to watch the process, which I think avoids problems.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:34 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by schad View Post
As far as I know, if you have a macerator, you also have a bypass, which is just a regular sewer hose fitting. If you wanted to leave your grey tank open all the time, you'd just use the bypass and not use the macerator. Of course, you can use the bypass even if you don't leave your tanks open; I believe it's there so you can dump even if your macerator is broken or clogged.
Yes, two coaches ago, I had one with a macerator, and this made me remember that it had both options.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm not sure what the point to the big pipe would be if it's not actually bypassing the macerator. I'm not saying your knowledgeable owners are wrong, mind you, just that I don't understand the reasoning if they're right.

Maybe when the plumbing was designed it was with the expectation that the macerator would be an option, and they didn't bother changing it when they decided to make it standard instead. Or maybe this is just one of those head-scratchers.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
On mine the macerator hose was in the wet bay, and the 3” bayo connection was out the rear. Not sure about other units, but my 3” by-passed the macerator. I would think any unit with both would be plumbed this way. Otherwise, as you point out, it would make no sense.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflabrkr View Post
I don't have the sani-con now. I hook up my stinky and leave the gray valve open. How do you do that with the sani-con?
You should Never leave any of the Sewer Valves open :(
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:27 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
My sani-con has a by-pass option. It's a 1/2 OD hose that by-passes the macerator itself, so it goes from the input hose just in front of the macerator and connects back in to the output hose just past the macerator. The intent of this hose is to let you drain the grey tank via gravity. It's VERY low flow, equivalent to a small leak, and wouldn't take much of a chunk to plug the hose.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:20 PM   #10

Gary is now correct. On an Entegra everything goes through the macerator. Our macerator is a box that has two discharge ports. One for the pump and one for the three inch slinky. Each discharge port has a shutoff for the respective port, one and half inch for the pump or three inch for the slinky. There is no direct bypass for either tank.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Any idea what the point is to having two different connections to the same thing?
Old 10-23-2020, 02:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by schad View Post
Any idea what the point is to having two different connections to the same thing?
You can either pump it out or gravity dump it from that collection point.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Gary is now correct. On an Entegra everything goes through the macerator. Our macerator is a box that has two discharge ports. One for the pump and one for the three inch slinky. Each discharge port has a shutoff for the respective port, one and half inch for the pump or three inch for the slinky. There is no direct bypass for either tank.
So why have a sanicon hose at all?

BTW, my gray tank gravity drains through my sanicon.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
So why have a sanicon hose at all?

BTW, my gray tank gravity drains through my sanicon.
You don’t have to have a sanicon hose if you want to connect the three inch hose to the macerator three inch drain.
Bruce, the macerator is a sealed box with an inlet and two outlets. I guess you can say the slinky hose bypasses the pump, but it all goes through the macerator box.