RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2020, 10:26 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sanicon Hose Vacuum Breaker

Sometime in the past, perhaps about a year ago, there was a discussion regarding draining the Sanicon hose for storage before travel. My experience confirmed that the hose regularly remained fully charged with waste liquid after pumping the tanks and it required a few minutes of "milking" the hose to evacuate that liquid before stowing the hose. Not a big problem; more of a minor annoyance.

In an attempt to find a solution, I assembled the pieces shown below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	271593

Name:   Left.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  14.8 KB

Name:	Center.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	271591Click image for larger version

Name:	Right.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	271592

to make a device that accomplished automatic drainage of the Sanicon hose following activation of the macerator pump to empty the black and gray tanks.

Basically, I installed the male and female Banjo fittings on opposing ends of the T fitting and a Watts vacuum breaker in the remaining opening of the T.

I got all the parts from Amazon.com. It's been about a year and I'd have to dig to get the exact item numbers and prices...but...IIRC, it was about $50 total. The Watts vacuum breaker was the most expensive part.

So, I put it all together and installed it (reach far back into the compartment to detach the Sanicon hose using the Enterga OEM Banjo female fitting, insert the male fitting of my device into the now vacant female receptacle and then insert the now free male hose end fitting into the female fitting on my device). Is that all clear?

Well, it worked. Run the macerator pump and the instant the pump was turned off, the hose drained.

Now, before you run out and buy the parts to build one of your own, be advised that there are a couple of issues with this setup.

First, the device adds 8 or 9 inches of fittings inside the compartment. That makes it impossible to route the Sanicon hose down through the deck plate in the hose storage compartment. Not a big deal, but, the hose must be routed out thru the compartment door. Mostly just an "appearance" thing.

Second, some people leave the gray tank valve open while parked long term to allow the gray tank to empty without running the macerator pump. It's my understanding that that strategy benefits from maintaining a vacuum in the hose to facilitate a siphon from the tank up into the hose compartment and back down to the sewer drain point. The vacuum breaker precludes that. I was unable to get the "gravity/siphon" empty of the gray tank to work with my device installed. However, I never completely filled the gray tank with the drain valve open. It's possible that, had I waited until the gray tank level rose above the fitting in the Sanicon hose compartment, the gray tank could have drained. Perhaps I just didn't wait long enuogh.

So, my bottom line hasn't, yet, been established. I'm still under warranty so I'm not inclined to make any permanent changes to the sewer system. Right now, as soon as I'm out of warranty, I'm seriously considering the modification that has been suggested to route the sewer discharge down from the macerator output, under the coach to a Banjo fitting on the bottom side of the coach.

Take care,
Stu
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2020, 05:23 AM   #2

I just unhook the cam lock inside the housing compartment. Then the hose drains 100%. Easy Peasy
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:33 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
That is a great mod, please post the part numbers if you come across them. I really would like the mod where the entire Sanicon plumbing line is relocated below the bay, but would still do something like this in the meantime. Like Buddy, I disconnect and walk our Sanicon hose after dumping, but this still would make life easier. As far as routing through the floor deck plate, wouldn't the hose have to be disconnected anyway, or can that massive Sanicon head fit through the deck plate (I've never routed mine this way)? My only concern and question is do you have any problem keeping the vacuum breaker upright? Vacuum breakers can tend to leak or at least seep if they're not kept upright.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Sometime in the past, perhaps about a year ago, there was a discussion regarding draining the Sanicon hose for storage before travel. My experience confirmed that the hose regularly remained fully charged with waste liquid after pumping the tanks and it required a few minutes of "milking" the hose to evacuate that liquid before stowing the hose. Not a big problem; more of a minor annoyance.

In an attempt to find a solution, I assembled the pieces shown below:

Attachment 271593

Attachment 271590Attachment 271591Attachment 271592

to make a device that accomplished automatic drainage of the Sanicon hose following activation of the macerator pump to empty the black and gray tanks.

Basically, I installed the male and female Banjo fittings on opposing ends of the T fitting and a Watts vacuum breaker in the remaining opening of the T.

I got all the parts from Amazon.com. It's been about a year and I'd have to dig to get the exact item numbers and prices...but...IIRC, it was about $50 total. The Watts vacuum breaker was the most expensive part.

So, I put it all together and installed it (reach far back into the compartment to detach the Sanicon hose using the Enterga OEM Banjo female fitting, insert the male fitting of my device into the now vacant female receptacle and then insert the now free male hose end fitting into the female fitting on my device). Is that all clear?

Well, it worked. Run the macerator pump and the instant the pump was turned off, the hose drained.

Now, before you run out and buy the parts to build one of your own, be advised that there are a couple of issues with this setup.

First, the device adds 8 or 9 inches of fittings inside the compartment. That makes it impossible to route the Sanicon hose down through the deck plate in the hose storage compartment. Not a big deal, but, the hose must be routed out thru the compartment door. Mostly just an "appearance" thing.

Second, some people leave the gray tank valve open while parked long term to allow the gray tank to empty without running the macerator pump. It's my understanding that that strategy benefits from maintaining a vacuum in the hose to facilitate a siphon from the tank up into the hose compartment and back down to the sewer drain point. The vacuum breaker precludes that. I was unable to get the "gravity/siphon" empty of the gray tank to work with my device installed. However, I never completely filled the gray tank with the drain valve open. It's possible that, had I waited until the gray tank level rose above the fitting in the Sanicon hose compartment, the gray tank could have drained. Perhaps I just didn't wait long enuogh.

So, my bottom line hasn't, yet, been established. I'm still under warranty so I'm not inclined to make any permanent changes to the sewer system. Right now, as soon as I'm out of warranty, I'm seriously considering the modification that has been suggested to route the sewer discharge down from the macerator output, under the coach to a Banjo fitting on the bottom side of the coach.

Take care,
Stu
When I did the mod and put the drain underneath Mh I accomplished the same thing by installing a 3/4 inch manual ball valve. Close the 11/2 in drain from macerator, open the ball valve for a couple seconds and hose is empty.
Not as fancy as yours, but cheap and very effective.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:41 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
I just unhook the cam lock inside the housing compartment. Then the hose drains 100%. Easy Peasy
Hi Buddy,

No doubt, that works! But, it is a "Luxury Coach", right? Gotta have fancy to keep up the appearance.

Take care,
Stu

P.S. It appears, from discussion on a different thread, that before model year '18, the Sanicon hose connection to the fixed coach plumbing is a screw in fitting, not the Banjo cam lock that I have on my '18.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:46 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
That is a great mod, please post the part numbers if you come across them.
Hi Dewey,

Here's a parts list from Amazon:

Name:	Vacuum break.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	271647
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VHIEMG...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Name:	Reducer.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	271648
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0079JYB2S...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Name:	Left.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	271649
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074QVC3XW...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Name:	Center.JPG
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	271650
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0079JTRRC...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Name:	Right.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	271652
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GLUML4...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Quote:
As far as routing through the floor deck plate, wouldn't the hose have to be disconnected anyway, or can that massive Sanicon head fit through the deck plate (I've never routed mine this way)?
IIRC, if you remove the gray, screw on cap from the sewer end fitting, it will fit through the deck plate without disconnecting the hose.

Quote:
My only concern and question is do you have any problem keeping the vacuum breaker upright? Vacuum breakers can tend to leak or at least seep if they're not kept upright.
The Banjo cam-lock fitting is secure enough that it's easy to lock the device in a position that keeps the vacuum breaker upright.

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #7

Some of the vintages of Entegra coaches do not have a removable camlock fitting in the back of the Sanicon and other vintages have a hard connection which cannot be disconnected. To my knowledge, the removable camlock first appeared in 2019 (which is why I never thought to remove the coach side to get the hose to drain). I might be wrong. That is why some like JH re-routed t he whole deal. To each his own, but I did not want my discharge hose hanging below the coach so that it could be ripped of by some road debris that I could not avoid).

So, if the disconnectable camlock is repeated on the 2020 and later, frankly,l that is about as good as you can get. There is no mess. I have never gotten any liquid (nasty or otherwise) on my hands disconnecting the camlock. As soon as you move one of the "ears" the vacuum is lost and the hose begins to drain. Just hold up the hose and in maybe 15 seconds, the hose is completely empty and can be reconnected again to his home connector and stuff the hose back in the compartment and you are done. Could not be easier or cleaner.

If you have an earlier iteration of this Sanicon system that does not disconnect at the back of the storage compartment, then a mod like JH's or the pressure relief valve might really help, but for '19 and after, you need to do nothing more than is already there. Clean, quick, and simple.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
When I did the mod and put the drain underneath Mh I accomplished the same thing by installing a 3/4 inch manual ball valve. Close the 11/2 in drain from macerator, open the ball valve for a couple seconds and hose is empty.
Not as fancy as yours, but cheap and very effective.
Hi J.H.,

I'm about 80% convinced that your solution is the best. The 20% is mostly because I'm too fiscally conservative to pay somebody to do the mod and somewhat averse to facing the installation challenges myself.

The ball valve is, in my opinion, superior to the vacuum breaker in that you can maintain the vacuum when you want and eliminate it when you don't want it.

I do like fancy on my "luxury" coach. Maybe I'll have to fancy mine up with a little Krylon (No drips, no runs, no errors).

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi J.H.,

I'm about 80% convinced that your solution is the best. The 20% is mostly because I'm too fiscally conservative to pay somebody to do the mod and somewhat averse to facing the installation challenges myself.

The ball valve is, in my opinion, superior to the vacuum breaker in that you can maintain the vacuum when you want and eliminate it when you don't want it.

I do like fancy on my "luxury" coach. Maybe I'll have to fancy mine up with a little Krylon (No drips, no runs, no errors).

Take care,
Stu
A few pictures. It’s really not all that difficult Stu.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8B07BFA9-E2E2-477B-A650-422630D590EA.jpg
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	271662   Click image for larger version

Name:	551116A8-A1AC-46B2-A7DD-F590114BD50D.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	271663  

Name:	7866B667-9A67-4133-8C06-45188FF903E6.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	271664   Click image for larger version

Name:	C1102EDA-CBB4-447D-A5E4-56ECAAABC77C.jpeg
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	271665  

Old 01-07-2020, 08:25 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
A few pictures. Itís really not all that difficult Stu.
Hi J.H.,

Thanks for the photos. Yeah, I am seriously considering that mod as my next project. I've booked the month of March in Florida and might take that as a good time to do it.

It looks like, once the hose reel is removed, access to the macerator output would be much easier.

Do you recall exactly how you made the first connection between your mod and the macerator output? Your photo #2 makes it look like there's a hose clamp on a large diameter rubber hose that is clamped around a white PVC fitting of some sort. Is the rubber hose part of the Entegra installed equipment, or, did you use that as a bridge from the Entegra installed equipment to the PVC modification?

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-08-2020, 06:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Hi J.H.,

Thanks for the photos. Yeah, I am seriously considering that mod as my next project. I've booked the month of March in Florida and might take that as a good time to do it.

It looks like, once the hose reel is removed, access to the macerator output would be much easier.

Do you recall exactly how you made the first connection between your mod and the macerator output? Your photo #2 makes it look like there's a hose clamp on a large diameter rubber hose that is clamped around a white PVC fitting of some sort. Is the rubber hose part of the Entegra installed equipment, or, did you use that as a bridge from the Entegra installed equipment to the PVC modification?

Take care,
Stu
The rubber hose is Entegras connection off the 11/2 inch macerator shutoff valve. I used 11/4 pvc so had to use 11/4 to 11/2 inch adapter at the rubber hose then a 11/4 to 11/2 inch adapter at the outside end for the camloc fitting. 11/2 inch would work for the whole thing, but I wanted to keep it a little smaller.
I didnít remove the hose reel. It would be easier with it gone, but removing it looks like more trouble than itís worth.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:25 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
The rubber hose is Entegras connection off the 11/2 inch macerator shutoff valve. I used 11/4 pvc so had to use 11/4 to 11/2 inch adapter at the rubber hose then a 11/4 to 11/2 inch adapter at the outside end for the camloc fitting. 11/2 inch would work for the whole thing, but I wanted to keep it a little smaller.
I didnít remove the hose reel. It would be easier with it gone, but removing it looks like more trouble than itís worth.
Hi J.H.,

Thanks for the "Pro tips".

It looks like a good project for my upcoming Florida time.

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Hi J.H.,

Thanks for the "Pro tips".

It looks like a good project for my upcoming Florida time.

Take care,
Stu
Where are you staying in Fl?
Old 01-08-2020, 01:27 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Where are you staying in Fl?
Cypress Trail in Fort Myers. (https://www.cypresstrailrv.com/)

Take care,
Stu

Tags
breaker