Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2018, 06:05 PM   #1

Scary Aqua-Hot event.

We've been setting here on Perdido Key since December we filled the diesel tanks the week before Christmas. With all the cold weather we used the Aqua-Hot a lot. And I'll admit that I was negligent but AH quit working this morning at some. The first night we've needed heat in a while. Come to find out the fuel gauge was on empty. I mean "E." I didn't think they would allow it to do that. I've been hauling fuel all afternoon in five gallon containers. I think the AH is working again but.......wow. I do however have a sneaking hunch that the fuel gauge is off by a bit. Just reporting. The next thing is, is there a start up procedure for the AH when it runs out of fuel?
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #2

I would start by getting your fuel tank filled. The head pressure from a full tank may be enough to help force fuel back into the AH fuel pump. If that isn't enough, I would then open the AH fuel filter until a good flow is seen, then try it again.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Robert,
I don't think you should have a problem if you have sufficient fuel in the tank.
The burner is a two line system, supply and return.

These two line burners pretty much purge the air from the system at start up.

A single line (supply only) will usually require bleeding to get the air purged.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:39 PM   #4

I wouldn't open the filter unless it is on the pressure side of the pump which would negate having raw unfiltered fuel going into the pump only to be filtered and returned to tank. Our Webasto is simple version of the AH. Your fuel filter is suction, before pump. It will pick up the fuel on its own without any problem. You may have to restart the system if it doesn't ignite on it's own, needing to prime. Ours has a 2 minute run before it fires and a 2 min cool down before it shuts down. If the motor is running it is pumping fuel.

Now, the fuel issue. If you ran out of fuel your fuel supply for the AH is either tied into the coach fuel supply or the dip tube is too far into the tank which is like the issue. In your owners manual you should have a diagram of the fuel taps in the tank and the return taps also. On our fuel tank I can get to the top through the propane tank door. Hard to say which is the problem, dip tube, fuel gauge etc.

I would have looked in the phone book, wait, googled a local excavating contractor with a fuel tank in his truck and asked him to bring some fuel. Yeah I know those dirty excavators no way would I put that crappy fuel in my rig. Well all new construction equipment is also running DEF and they have to have clean filtered fuel also. I am an excavator and yes dirty too, but I bet I have the cleanest fuel you can imagine out of a fuel tank.

Anyway I wouldn't suspect the gauge but the dip tube for the heater in the tank. It should be 1/4 way off the bottom of the fuel tank so you don't get stranded. Same with the gen supply and return.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
We've been setting here on Perdido Key since December we filled the diesel tanks the week before Christmas. With all the cold weather we used the Aqua-Hot a lot. And I'll admit that I was negligent but AH quit working this morning at some. The first night we've needed heat in a while. Come to find out the fuel gauge was on empty. I mean "E." I didn't think they would allow it to do that. I've been hauling fuel all afternoon in five gallon containers. I think the AH is working again but.......wow. I do however have a sneaking hunch that the fuel gauge is off by a bit. Just reporting. The next thing is, is there a start up procedure for the AH when it runs out of fuel?
Sorry it happened to you, but, good to know!

I always assumed the pickup for my AH would be about the same level as the gen.
Your AH will self bleed the air out.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Robert, how about one of the mobile fuel trucks to fill your tank? There should be a few in the area with all the marinas in the area.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Robert, how about one of the mobile fuel trucks to fill your tank? There should be a few in the area with all the marinas in the area.

Chuck,
That's a good ideal. We have fuel trucks but I just checked and I'm 930 miles from Predido Key.

We have fueled a coach in a campground. The owner was working as an accountant at a local factory on temporary assignment during the winter months.

The problem is our nozzle is to large for the fill so you need to milk it in slowly.

Robert might check the yellow pages under fuel dealers and get lucky and find a fuel distributor that is wiling to come out.

We aren't licensed in Florida so I can't make it.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:38 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Me thinks his gauge is off a bit as he didn't say that he tried to drive to a fueling station and ran out,,so prolly has 1/4 tank of diesel still, just that the pickup tube wouldn't draw.
Or the PO set the gauge to the needs of the AH and Gennie. not to the needs of the big engine??
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:39 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Been there. Earned the badge. In our case it was a half tank. Best thing to remember, you just don’t have a full tank. Around 10-15% just isn’t available. Just one other thought, it is a lot easier to put those five gallon cans in with one of the slides in.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #10

I have fueled 82-84 gallons of 100 at 1/8 of a tank more than once.

I was told the AH and Gen pickup fuel at the same approximately 25% remaining point.

In Peridto Key do they sell ULSD at the marina?

I’d just top the tank and run the AH. No need to crack a filter.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #11

Thanks for you posts, all good input. Current status. After hauling about 25 gallons of diesel 5 gallons at a time the gauge moved up to about an eighth of a tank. At first the AH didn't want to fire but after an hour it did finally. Just to let all of you know I tried lining up a fuel service to come to our site but could not without some heavy ridiculous charges like a $300 delivery charge plus ten cents more a gallon than at the local station. Talked to one guy that delivered fuel for generators and was told the nozzles wouldn't fit in my filler pipe. So I ended up doing it my self. I'll haul in some more tomorrow until I get enough to last until the end of the month when we hit the road again.

All is well that ends well. Still not happy about the full gauge but oh well.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:06 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Wow, the delivery charge have sure gone up since I sold my boats. It use to be a 50 gallon minimum and the same nozzle as the stations. They may have changed with all the EPA nonsense of fueling boats in the water. I wouldn't doubt if the $300. charge is to cover the cost of EPA regulations.

Glad you are up and running, just it time for it to start warning up again. Just checked my AH out yesterday, 26 degrees in Perry last night.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:23 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Why not now just break camp and drive the mh to a gas station, fill up and drive back to your campsite? Your engine, tires, etc. would appreciate "moving", if you haven't moved since December. Also, don't forget to run your genny with a load about once every month to keep everything lubricated.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #14

On my coach (13 Anthem 42RBQ), the AH stopped working when my fuel gauge was between 1/4 of a tank and E. I filled it up with diesel and started the AH up, first attempt no start, turned the burner switch off then back on and it started right up. I personally would keep track of the amount of diesel you put in and then see how many gallons it took until full. This way you'll know if the gauge is actually off or not.
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent