Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2015, 06:17 AM   #15

One more thing,.... The ECOA group comments and everyone agreed that the TRC 41260 had a single capability to protect against surge voltages..... One criterion surge and the surge circuit was no longer operable, and it was not field serviceable. Those that knew said the progressive industries was capable of repeated protection, was warranted for life, and was field serviceable. Their big 50 amp unit comes with an LED display on the unit as well as a remote LED display to be mounted in the coach and permits monitoring fault status, voltage, and current draw on each leg

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 07:27 AM   #16

Now, this is just me, but if I was faced with protecting my power/coach I would install the TRC 40250-RVC.

I'll be purchasing a coach soon, so I'll have no protection at all outside of what the coach comes with, which really sounds like nothing. Install looks very straight forward as long as the unit fits, so I'll be able to save some here.

I know the TRC 40250 is ~3x the cost of what's in the coach, but I can factor in the cost of what I would save by not installing a PI unit. I would then work to sell the old TRC 41260, which could bring in a little to help off set the cost. Then I would have total transfer and power protection. This, too me, sounds like the best possible solution for protecting the coach.

Am I off base here? Or would this be the best of both worlds?

-paul
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:49 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing that kills ATS units is called "Hot Switching"

When power returned.. Did you unplug before STOPPING generator..or did you turn off the MAIN breaker before stopping generator (or the park's breaker?) Or did you just shut off and let it attempt to transfer back?

Always shut off POWER either by unplugging from shore or shutting off either shore or RV's MAIN breaker before transferring power..
Old 05-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
This, too me, sounds like the best possible solution for protecting the coach.

-paul
The only down side I can see to this and I may be wrong...worth checking into. If the built in EMS takes a hit, is there anyway to bypass it? With a Progressive HW there is a bypass if it takes a hit and Progressive sends a replacement board, with the portable, just unplug it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
The spec sheet for the ATS that I posted yesterday, the TRC 41290 model, says it has a user serviceable fuse protected surge protector on L! and L2. It has slightly better specs than the model that Cruzer suggested. I wonder if that would help. Of course it's more expensive.

I'm on my second ATS. Unless I'm convinced otherwise, next time I replace my ATS, I'll use this one. And I'll still use a surge protector at the post. We have lots of electrical items to protect.

Surge Guard 90A RVC Compatible ATS with Full RV Power Protection | Technology Research, LLC
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
The only down side I can see to this and I may be wrong...worth checking into. If the built in EMS takes a hit, is there anyway to bypass it? With a Progressive HW there is a bypass if it takes a hit and Progressive sends a replacement board, with the portable, just unplug it.
Here's what Surge Guard states -

Surge Guard Features:
• 4-mode protection, 3,350 Joules
• Energy capacity – 130,000 Amps peak.
• Fuse protected L1/L2 surge suppressers.
• Plain text display (Replace Surge) of open fuses indicating a failed MOV or open surge connection.

So, my assumption is that the fuse's are field replaceable. If so, then this could be a viable solution. I would confirm prior to purchase and I would also carry any replacement parts as I travel.

-paul
Old 05-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW8804 View Post
The spec sheet for the ATS that I posted yesterday, the TRC 41290 model, says it has a user serviceable fuse protected surge protector on L! and L2. It has slightly better specs than the model that Cruzer suggested. I wonder if that would help. Of course it's more expensive.

I'm on my second ATS. Unless I'm convinced otherwise, next time I replace my ATS, I'll use this one. And I'll still use a surge protector at the post. We have lots of electrical items to protect.

Surge Guard 90A RVC Compatible ATS with Full RV Power Protection | Technology Research, LLC
The 41290 has larger contacts but no RV-C network capability. Again, not many people need that. Both the 41290 and 40250-RVC have voltage protection so either would be a good choice. I didn't compare the physical sizes of the two, which may have some bearing on certain installations.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:43 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now, this is just me, but if I was faced with protecting my power/coach I would install the TRC 40250-RVC.

I'll be purchasing a coach soon, so I'll have no protection at all outside of what the coach comes with, which really sounds like nothing. Install looks very straight forward as long as the unit fits, so I'll be able to save some here.

I know the TRC 40250 is ~3x the cost of what's in the coach, but I can factor in the cost of what I would save by not installing a PI unit. I would then work to sell the old TRC 41260, which could bring in a little to help off set the cost. Then I would have total transfer and power protection. This, too me, sounds like the best possible solution for protecting the coach.

-paul
That's exactly what I did.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
My transfer switch shorted out when my AquaHot engine preheat line came loose on the back of the unit. I was unknowingly spraying engine coolant everywhere, to include in to the transfer switch. Entegra is changing out the transfer switch and I thought, hey, as long as your changing it out, how about if I order the 40250 model, and pay the difference. This was originally agreed to, and Entegra even offered to get it through their supplier. All good until the supplier notified Entegra that the 40250 will not work with our coach???? They are replacing it with the original model, the 41260
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
That's exactly what I did.
Hi Mark,

Do you think that the TRC 40250-RVC will fit within the Anthem? Since we are planning on ordering an Anthem I think I'm going to go ahead and order the TRC 40250-RVC. This way when the coach gets home I can hopefully swap them out.

-paul
Old 05-27-2015, 05:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw8602 View Post
My transfer switch shorted out when my AquaHot engine preheat line came loose on the back of the unit. I was unknowingly spraying engine coolant everywhere, to include in to the transfer switch. Entegra is changing out the transfer switch and I thought, hey, as long as your changing it out, how about if I order the 40250 model, and pay the difference. This was originally agreed to, and Entegra even offered to get it through their supplier. All good until the supplier notified Entegra that the 40250 will not work with our coach???? They are replacing it with the original model, the 41260
Why won't it work? Did you get any sort of answer to this?

-paul
Old 05-27-2015, 05:54 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Why won't it work? Did you get any sort of answer to this?
Paul, I was told it is a wiring issue. Must have been a change to the 2016's that will allow it since we have all read that Mark is having one installed.

Brian
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:04 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw8602 View Post
Don't see why it won't work. They are the same physical size. The only difference is that the 41260 as used by Entegra has an integral transformer that outputs a 12-24 VAC signal to the Onan EC-30 AGS whenever shore power is present. All I have to do is add a small transformer to the transfer switch and I have that ability as well. I assume that the 40250-RVC would not need a transformer to send that information because it normally would use the RV-C network protocol to communicate that data, as well as the voltage and current levels, to other networked devices, such as an EMS and AGS.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:27 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Yeah. I'd want the Entegra CS engineering guys to explain why the 40250 wiring is different. It must have something to do with the EC-30 setup. Maybe on the coaches that use that ATS have a different power control setup.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote