Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2015, 05:03 PM   #1

Second ATS failure in 6 months

Last January, during an ice storm, my TRC automatic transfer switch crapped out. Entegra sent me a new ATS and all was fine - until the thunderstorms 2 days ago. Power was out for 1 day - lived off the genny. When power returned I discovered the ATS had once again failed. No amount of banging on the switch helps. I have it bypassed for now.

I am sure that if I called Entegra CS they would dutifully send me a new TRC ATS. I think it is time to try plan B. I'd rather buy a better one myself than go through the effort of installing another suspect one. Any suggestions?
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Have they upgrade the 2016 ATS's? Maybe a 2016 replacement ?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:05 PM   #3

My understanding is same ATS unit no upgrade for 2016 !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:01 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
Check out the TRC website. The is a better transfer switch. It also has better surge protection properties. I'm not sure what you've done, but many people put a surge protector in front of the transfer switch (ie between the transfer switch and the post). Then, if a storm takes out the surge protector, the transfer switch is (usually) OK.

I think this is the better switch. There was a post about this very recently.

Surge Guard 90A RVC Compatible ATS with Full RV Power Protection | Technology Research, LLC
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:02 PM   #5

Second ATS failure in 6 months

Is there a need for a PI EMS to be in the middle?
Surge guard has a 1 year warranty. Basically a throw-away.
Progressive Industries is lifetime warranty.
Works for me, saved my stuff 3 times.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #6
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Is there a need for a PI EMS to be in the middle?
I had the hardwired version (Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C) installed between the cable reel and the transfer switch while taking delivery. I'm a big believer in their products - portable or hardwire, and I'm willing to bet it would have saved a couple of transfer switches for Hawgguy.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Yes, do a progressive or one like it - surge protector. Prob saved my transfer switch this weekend.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
I had the hardwired version (Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C) installed between the cable reel and the transfer switch while taking delivery. I'm a big believer in their products - portable or hardwire, and I'm willing to bet it would have saved a couple of transfer switches for Hawgguy.
I have the PI ssp-50 portable. Two ATS's later, here I am.

Suggestions for a new ATS?

Try a 3rd TRC SurgeGuard? ESCO, Lyght, IOTA, GO Power, Powermax, Progressive Dynamics?
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #9

Every surge protector has it's limits once exceeded they self destruct to save you. Yes there are upgrades to the one Entegra uses. There is not a single component in a RV that more money will not yield you a better choice. If you set out to build the perfect RV with a unlimited budget by the time you got it built nearly every part would of been upgraded and improved in the time it took you to research and build it. Nearly every thing you own was built to meet a price point a empty Prevost on it's way to be built cost's as much as a Cornerstone even after a million in coach build it is no where near perfect.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #10

As to the TS what is the failure? The most common problem I have encountered is lost neutral on the shore side gen side still works but shore power won't work.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #11
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
I have the PI ssp-50 portable. Two ATS's later, here I am.
I'm glad I don't gamble much...

I had an '07 Monaco and conventional wisdom in that group of owners was to replace a problematic IOTA (don't remember the model #) with an ESCO LPT50BRD, which I did along with adding the Progressive Industries HW50C and never had any trouble in that coach - even with many trips by the PI for low voltage. I think ESCO bought Lyght so you'll see both names on some of ESCO's products.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:12 PM   #12

Bob

My Monaco Dynasty was equipped with an ESCO transfer switch, which reliably transferred power as it was supposed to. However, I installed a progressive industries 50 amp power monitoring system as the ESCO was not a power management system. Everything worked VERY WELL. I would consider an ESCO. The tech tips group at the ECOA meeting you had to leave early talked about this quite a bit. There were two central opinions. 1) go with Progressive's surge and power management system in addition to the the standard Entegra transfer switch, 2.) consider upgrading the current transfer switch to the top end model of that same switch which some felt was equivalent to the Progressive (and others did not).

Sounds like time for a different strategy.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:55 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Entegra uses the TRC 41260 transfer switch. This is rated at 50 amps but has 45 amp contactors. It has surge protection but only 240,000 joules and it has no low voltage protection so you need a good surge protector, like the Progressive units. It is known to be less than reliable.

TRC also makes the 40250-RVC transfer switch. This too is rated at 50 amps but uses 60 amp contactors that are shock mounted. It has 360,000 joules of surge protection as well as low and high voltage protection so you don't need a Progressive unit with this model. It also has RV-C network protocol, which can be tied into a Total Coach system, although 99% of us won't ever do that. It has an optional display that shows the voltage and amperage on each leg as well as any error messages. It costs more than the 41260 but when you factor in the price of a good Progressive EMS unit it's not that much more, unless you already have a good surge protector that is. But you do get a more reliable transfer switch.

The other alternative is to buy a basic Intellitec transfer switch and use a surge protector wit it.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:39 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Mark, nice explanation. It is hard to believe that TRC is putting 45 amp contacts in a 50 AMP transfer switch. I am really beginning to wonder about some of these vendors. It is if they want their product to self destruct.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote