Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2021, 06:36 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Self Leveling Sealant

Good day group!
I have a 2013 Aspire and Iím going to redo the sealant on the roof and caps.
I was told to leave the old on and clean it with acetone and then lay new self leveling sealant over top. Does this sound correct to yíall ? It does to me. I am looking for recommendations on the type of self leveling sealant I should use and maybe how much I should buy, Iím guessing it comes in tubes for a caulking gun ? Any advice appreciated!
Thanks in advance all!
John Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2021, 06:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Grant View Post
Good day group!
I have a 2013 Aspire and Iím going to redo the sealant on the roof and caps.
I was told to leave the old on and clean it with acetone and then lay new self leveling sealant over top. Does this sound correct to yíall ? It does to me. I am looking for recommendations on the type of self leveling sealant I should use and maybe how much I should buy, Iím guessing it comes in tubes for a caulking gun ? Any advice appreciated!
Thanks in advance all!
Dicor is probably the most popular brand of sealant. Here is a link (from the Dicor website) to a YouTube video on proper surface prep and application:

Old 09-25-2021, 07:31 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercee View Post
Dicor is probably the most popular brand of sealant. Here is a link (from the Dicor website) to a YouTube video on proper surface prep and application:

Awesome! Thatís what I was looking for. Thanks so much
Old 09-25-2021, 08:09 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Might want to consider Eternabond tape and never have t touch the roof again. No annual touch ups, nothing. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/sta...id-244908.html
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 01:53 PM   #5

Only problem with adding more is youíll just build up the dam and hold more water. I would scrape all the old sealer off and use Nuflex 311, which is what Entegra now uses, or like Brobox said use Eternabond over the present sealer.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:05 PM   #6

the first time I resealed my end caps I used the self leveling caulk and swore I would never do that again! For two years I looked at the results before I finally decided to scrape it off and do what I should have the first time - use eternabond!

I'm not sure how the factory applies the sealant on the cap but you better believe what you do with the sealant will never look like the factory job....

Bill
bneiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:40 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Like Chuck posted - I put Eternabond on mine 5 years ago - still fine. Same procedure, clean existing sealant, and cover with Eternabond and roll using a small roller- used 4" White Eternabond on mine, may have used 6" in some places, but the 4" has worked well. Even did the vents cutting small pieces and placing around. If you are good with scissors, and patient, using 2 pieces, and cutting half circles into the tape pieces works too around the round vents.
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:12 PM   #8

What chuck said
Poppedclams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:35 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Using the eternabond tape, do you need remove factory sealant ?
Appreciate all the advice everyone!
Old 09-26-2021, 06:13 AM   #10

Yes, it takes some time but you need to scrape it off completely and clean the surface with acetone.

Bill
bneiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:17 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Grant View Post
Using the eternabond tape, do you need remove factory sealant ?
Appreciate all the advice everyone!
Hi John,
The linked post is really detailed with photos on the entire application. With most coaches the sealant does not have to be removed unless it is really bad and needed to be removed anyhow. Lots of photos going over the existing sealant. Going over the existing sealant gives double protection.
My Travel Supreme I had Etenabond on for 11 years over the old sealant when I sold the coach, the Eternabond still looked new. The buyer liked the fact he would never have to maintain the roof.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Might want to consider Eternabond tape and never have t touch the roof again. No annual touch ups, nothing. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/sta...id-244908.html
Chuck,
I read through this thread but I remain confused: What you are calling the "awning sweep.?" Looking under the awning I see 311 sealant running front to back of the coach sealing the FG roof to the side fascia. It looks near impossible to access that in order to lay tape over it. Did you remove the awning canisters in order to access that?
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
Chuck,
I read through this thread but I remain confused: What you are calling the "awning sweep.?" Looking under the awning I see 311 sealant running front to back of the coach sealing the FG roof to the side fascia. It looks near impossible to access that in order to lay tape over it. Did you remove the awning canisters in order to access that?
Bruce, in 2013 the awnings stood up vertical so the roof seam was easier to get too. There was a sweep between the awning and roof to cover the opening. In 2017, I think, the awnings changed and lie horizontal so it would be impossible to get under there to do anything. On the good side the awnings now cover the sealant so it wonít deteriorate as rapidly.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Gunter View Post
Bruce, in 2013 the awnings stood up vertical so the roof seam was easier to get too. There was a sweep between the awning and roof to cover the opening. In 2017, I think, the awnings changed and lie horizontal so it would be impossible to get under there to do anything. On the good side the awnings now cover the sealant so it wonít deteriorate as rapidly.
But it will eventually deteriorate. I can get a caulk tube under there. Perhaps using 311 self leveling there and eternabond tape everywhere else.
Thanks
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, seal, sealant