Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Sense monitor?

Has anyone installed the Sense energy monitor in your coach?

Not really interested in saving on energy costs, but more to monitor the coaches power when we are away from the coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
If you're looking to say, get a warning if the coach loses power, I don't know if that device is going to do it for you. There are some other ways to do that however.

If you want to track AC shorepower consumption that seems to be its primary purpose. Not sure how it would behave if you plug into 30A service as that is no longer a split phase.

Also note this device would require an "always on" internet connection in the coach.

For me the goals for remote monitoring include the following parameters, more or less listed in order of priority:
  • shore power on or off
  • temperature hi and lo
  • house battery voltage
  • chassis battery voltage
  • door opened or alarm triggered
  • generator running or not
  • gps location
Text notifications should be sent when thresholds are exceeded like high or low temp, low battery voltage, etc.

Is something like that what you're looking for?
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:30 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Sense

That is exactly what I am looking for, with almost the exact priorities.
Have you found a product that can do all or most of these?
Old 12-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I found this product:

https://rv-command.com/

RV Command is a complete remote monitoring package for your camper, trailer, motor home, or recreational vehicle. RV Command allows you to view all of your RV’s vital signs directly from your Computer, Android, iPad, or iPhone. Receive instant text message (SMS) & email alerts when you need it most.
2004 Jeep Liberty Limited - FMCA #343990
BHutting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Sense

The rv-command product looks like just the thing I’ve been looking for.
Thank you very much.
It is really nice it uses a cell signal for alerts rather than wifi.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
iRV2 member voltdoc has an informative website where he has posted detailed info regarding numerous mods made to his RV. In addition, he has a beautiful boat that has benefitted from some mods, including a "Boat Command Remote Monitoring System". He posted a review of that system in March 2015 at this website: Review – Boat Command Remote Monitoring System – My Quantum Discovery

I believe that it (Boat Command) is the same system as the above mentioned RV-Command system, simply modified for RV use (if you need to monitor your bilge pumps on your RV, you really should be parking it somewhere else).

He may notice this thread and chime in, or, you may want to contact him directly for an update on his satisfaction with the system

Take care,
Stu
Old 12-20-2017, 06:40 PM   #7

You would think with today’s technology that the Command 30 would be WIFI. This would allow messages whenever the generator started due to loss of power or excessive interior heat. Coach should be able to be monitored and able to adjust heat/ac just like your home.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:04 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Yep, RV Command, I have one installed on my Aspire (and a Boat Command on the boat) and have been pretty happy with them. More technical details about the Boat Command here, but both RV & Boat Command are essentially the same physical hardware with the same inputs and outputs, just the nomenclature is different. If you don't have full time internet on the coach the $9 monthly fee for this system is a reasonable alternative.

I am currently monitoring the following items:
  • shore power - shore power off triggers a text and email
  • temperature - exceeding hi or low thresholds I choose triggers a text and email.
  • house battery voltage - falling below threshold I choose triggers a text and email.
  • chassis battery voltage - falling below threshold I choose triggers a text and email.
  • gps location - moving out of range of the geofence perimeter triggers a text and email.

The unit itself is installed in the electronics bay over the entry door and all hookups for the above are conveniently right there too, most at the Energy command harness. The GPS and cell reception seem to be no issue for the RV command installed in this location. Never had any heat related problems that I am aware of.

For the shore power sense I did need to add an AC to DC converter. The shore power sense coming from the transfer switch is 24v AC but the RV Commands wants to see a 12 volt DC voltage transition. I used this device and it is working well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Soon I plan to add sensing if the generator is running (just need to tap the correct wire at the Energy Command). This would register under the "Engine" sense on the RV Command and I believe will track hours of on time.

Eventually I plan to add sensing if the door opens or alarm is triggered but that might require fishing a wire.

It's nice to get a text immediately when shorepower is disconnected even when we are on the coach - the inverter switch over is so seamless that several times in the past I have not noticed loss of shore power until the batteries ran down and the lights started to dim.

My RV Command is a few years old and is provisioned with Verizon, however the newer units I believe are provisioned with AT&T - that's to make them compatible worldwide (AT&T is a GSM based network which works worldwide).

My only complaint with the system is that sometimes when I initiate a manual refresh it seems to take a while to update. However, when a threshold triggers an alarm, the text message seems to come in within a few seconds, this gets tested every time we unplug from shorepower. If no alarms are triggered it seems like the system will automatically report updated status at least twice per day. Also as mentioned, from the app or web page you can initiate an update at any time.

Also I think some of the reset logic could be a bit more user friendly. For example when the entry monitor is triggered, it shuts that trigger off until you manually reset it or until 24 hours goes by. I understand the service provider is trying to minimize server traffic, but I would like to see it reset itself automatically, say if I venture more than a few 100 feet from the RV.

All things considered though I think it is full featured product at a reasonable cost relative to other similar products on the market. Last time I checked the cost of the unit and the monthly service fee were the lowest available for what you get.

I have been planning to do a more detailed blog post about my RV Command installation but haven't got around to it yet. In the meantime feel free to ask any questions.

Here are some screen shots from the Android app. Note that Inside Temp is from the device temp sensor, but Outside Temp is from a web based weather service:

Old 12-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Yep, RV Command, I have one installed on my Aspire (and a Boat Command on the boat) and have been pretty happy with them.
Rob,

Awesome explanation. Thanks, so much for your contribution.

The $9/month monitoring makes this a very attractive addition.

Take care,
Stu
Old 12-20-2017, 09:16 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Sense

Rob,

Thank you so much for the detailed review of the command module. Your input seals the deal, I’ll order one very soon.

If you get a chance some pictures of your install would be very helpful.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:26 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBottomGrl View Post
Rob,

Thank you so much for the detailed review of the command module. Your input seals the deal, I’ll order one very soon.

If you get a chance some pictures of your install would be very helpful.
I usually take pictures of everything but in this case I guess I forgot. Will try to get behind that panel soon and take some...