Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2016, 06:58 AM   #1

Setting up both satellite antennas

Good Morning,

I need some help from the group on setting up our In-Motion system.

We have a 2017 Aspire that was prewired for both the In-Motion, and the Trav'ler.

The coach was ordered with the Trav'ler and that is working great. I have added the In-Motion (Winegard T4) and am trying to sort out the necessary bits to use an A/B switch (without changing settings within the DirecTV receiver).

As it stands, I can change from the Trav'ler to the T4 by moving the coax between the wall plate and the receiver, to the desired antenna. Next, I change the dish type within the DirecTV settings and go from there.

I'm trying to avoid the requirement to change settings within the DirecTV receiver, and understand a SWM8 will achieve this.

If I were using a single receiver, or dual receivers with coax at a common junction, I'm clear on the process. Where I'm fuzzy is that our dome coax enters the roof and goes in different directions. The only place the dome and Trav'ler coax are co-located is at the individual wall plates at the front and rear of the coach.

I can place the SWM8 on the roof and plumb both dome coax thru it prior to entering the coach. However, I then need a PI, but I have 2 locations to serve.

So, how do I solve that issue? As I understand it, I can only have 1 PI in use at a time.

Thanks,

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 07:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Good Morning,
I need some help from the group on setting up our In-Motion system.
The coach was ordered with the Trav'ler and that is working great. I have added the In-Motion (Winegard T4) and am trying to sort out the necessary bits to use an A/B switch (without changing settings within the DirecTV receiver).
So, how do I solve that issue? As I understand it, I can only have 1 PI in use at a time.
Thanks,
-Matt
Matt D
Why do you need 2 satellite antennas?
(Isn't one enough)?
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:17 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The "In Motion" is SD, and when he gets where he is going, the other is HD..........AND, the in motion provide TV while traveling down the road............I am sorry, I can't answer your question, but someone will soon as the are a lot with both.......
Old 09-01-2016, 07:40 AM   #4

Mel, Palehorse nailed it. Regarding your actual question "isn't one enough?", that is exactly what I asked, but the CFO said "do it" so here we are.

Frankly, I'm about to wire all TVs, DVDs, iPads, etc to the parking brake. I drop the brake and everything goes dark, look outside.

OK, back to reality.

-Matt
Old 09-01-2016, 08:30 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You can have two antennas feed a single receiver (but you will need an A/B switch as you already know) but you will have to change the receiver settings as the antennas are different. There is no way around this short of a dedicated receiver for each antenna.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:48 AM   #6

Mel, that is the setup we have and it works well for us.

Kids and mamma get SD TV while in motion on long trips and, once at our destination, NFL Sunday ticket in all its HD glory.

We use an A-B switch, and have to change the setup on the receiver when switching dish types. Wish there was some way around it, but it works for us.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #7

Try this site....

http://www.winegard.com/help/images/d/d1/2452242.pdf

With a Swm 8, you should only need an A/B switch and be able to leave the receiver settings alone. It works that way for me.
Bslagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
It won't. You have to use the 18" round for the In-motion.

Pat Bauer, President
Entegra Coach Owners Association
www.entegraowners.com
2017 Anthem DEQ/Ford Edge
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #9

Put the SW a on the roof the coacts is come together in the basement put your power inserter in the basement you only need one for an AB switch. For anyone that says it will not work or does not work I will give you my address and you can come see
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpbauer View Post
It won't. You have to use the 18" round for the In-motion.

Pat Bauer, President
www.entegraowners.com
2017 Anthem DEQ/Ford Edge

I works just fine in my coach with the settings as described in the document I linked to. No need to change to 18" round
Bslagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #11

As described, evidently you can install a SWM8 switch powered by a power inserter for the dome. Then, this output runs down to the A/B switch and to the receiver. Evidently, converting the dome to a SWM produces a signal like the Trav'ler.

In spite of learning how to get the antennas integrated within the coach, I have decided to stick with just the Trav'ler.

-Matt
Old 09-07-2016, 08:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpbauer View Post
It won't.
You have to use the 18" round for the In-motion.
Pat Bauer, President
www.entegraowners.com
wmpbauer
I'm confused by that and I have 3 questions.
1.) What is "it"?.....
2.) What won't it do?
3.) Who makes an 18" round "in motion" satellite antenna?
Thanks
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, satellite