Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #1

Sleep number and altitude

Hey guys. In accordance with the mattress recall we will be changing our Tempurpedic Mattress to a Sleep Number. I have heard that Sleep Number can have issues if air is not adjusted at higher altitudes so am wondering:
1. At what altitude will it be necessary to adjust the air in the mattress?
2. Is it an easy adjustment or is it a cumbersome thing that requires much adjustment to get back to where it was before you adjusted?
3. Is it just if you move to a higher altitude or are there various adjustments to suit various altitudes?

Any advice much appreciated.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2011 View Post
Hey guys. In accordance with the mattress recall we will be changing our Tempurpedic Mattress to a Sleep Number. I have heard that Sleep Number can have issues if air is not adjusted at higher altitudes so am wondering:
2. Is it an easy adjustment or is it a cumbersome thing that requires much adjustment to get back to where it was before you adjusted?
3. Is it just if you move to a higher altitude or are there various adjustments to suit various altitudes?

When we had a sleep number we let the air down to 5-10 lbs. anytime we were going 4000 ft. or so above where we were. I.e. 0-4000, 4000-8000 etc.
Misty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:06 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We just finished a 2 month, 5500 mile trip from Metro Detroit out to Phoenix and back with our Sleep Number bed. We bounced over the 7,000 foot mark on numerous occasions.

Altitude definitely had an impact on our Sleep Number bed. First, we discovered that we did a terrible job at remembering to "deflate" the bed before we hit higher altitudes. This in turn meant we found the bed "flat" after returning to the lower altitudes. (I'm assuming that the Sleep Number bed has some sort of safety valve that releases air when it senses the pressure is too high).

The high altitude doesn't appear to have done any permanent damage to the mattress. However it did mean that we had to fiddle with "reinflating" the mattress on numerous occasions. "Fiddling" is an apt description too - since the process demanded that you first hit the "Fill" button to put some air into it ... then deflate it a little ... then reinflate it a bit before the air in the mattress was properly "synched" with the Sleep Number reading.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:13 AM   #4

We like sleeping on the sleep number but it is a pain when on the road. Fiddling is an excellent way to put it. Much fiddling.

I would try to get the recall dollars and replace with a high quality traditional mattress.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:18 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We also have the sleep number bed. We safely drove over the Colorado Mountains (11,000ft) with 20-40 LBS of air in the mattress. As you rise in elevation, the air will expand inside the mattress (like opening a container of mustard, and it squirts all over the place, due to the added pressure). When you descend, the air pressure will decrease (giving your plastic water bottle the Betty Boop look) When you open the water bottle, the bottle re-inflates to its original shape.

We were also concerned about blowing the mattress, as we live at 8500 ft. Initially, we let all the air out of the mattress and descended to about 2000 feet. What we found, is that it's difficult to put air back in the mattress (think of the Betty Boop example above). I believe the pump had to work extra hard to get the mattress to inflate from almost a negative pressure.

We learned that if we leave 20-40 lbs in the mattress while traveling, no issues at any elevation. If you like your setting much higher while sleeping, just don't forget to lower it back to 20-40 lbs when traveling (add it to you checklist).

Cheers!
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #6

We are on our fourth coach with a sleep number bed and have been in most states and a lot of mountains with no problems and very little fuss. The sleep number manual included with the bed states that in higher elevations you should use the remote to set both sides at number 20 (this is NOT 20 lbs, the bed actually operates with about 2ounces pressure according to sleep number). Then when we are parked for the night we just move the number back up to our chosen setting a in a few seconds it is there. No need to take all the air out because it is not needed and as stated above it is a fiddling process to get that basic air back in it. Really simple and easy with the remote but should be done above 4 thousand feet or so. JMHO

2016 45 B Topaz Cornerstone
2014 MKT towed
Old 11-28-2016, 12:08 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
We have had a Sleep Number for the past 14 years in MH's. It has been very easy for us when we get up in the morning knowing we are headed over a pass that day to drop the air pressure down to 20 PSI before getting out of bed. I don't even need a GPS to remind me...yet
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #8

Not a problem for me as I usually deflate to 10-20 lbs prior to bring in the slides in order to minimize any pressure on the vanity slide (which I hope to never have to repair).
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:26 PM   #9

Thanks for the information. Hopefully not too much trouble.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:31 PM   #10
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2011 View Post

I set the remote next to my wallet on the bedroom counter the night before. Good reminder to deflate the bed before heading out in the a.m.