Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2021, 06:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post
When using my old thermostat by the time I went thru the screens to set the next unit some time had transpired. The units all ways started staggered since it took time for me to set the next unit. I believe it would be a good idea as to delay every event except for shutting the unit off, between units since a lot of them could cause compressors kicking in at the same. time.

After I had written the above I remembered that my old thermostat had a cool-off-heat switch on the bottom. When I would get ready to leave and unplug the coach I would go and just turn the switch to off. After Starting the generator or at next camp ground I would just go and turn switch back to Cool. I do not remember any time when I did the switch to Cool where all of the units would start up at the same time. From memory they would start staggered. So the old thermostat might have had a delay built into it where it sent the commands to the units at different times.
With the addition of a short delay or stagger between sending the commands to each device when in the "ALL" mode I think the "ALL" feature suggested above would be a great idea!
Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2021, 06:10 AM   #16
JJT

Entegra Owners Club
I’ll be following this post to hear from any “Classic” Anthem owners who have installed one of these thermostats. I want to be sure it’s compatible with my 2014 with 3 Coleman units and AquaHot 450 before I decide to place an order.
Thanks
JJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT View Post
I’ll be following this post to hear from any “Classic” Anthem owners who have installed one of these thermostats. I want to be sure it’s compatible with my 2014 with 3 Coleman units and AquaHot 450 before I decide to place an order.
Thanks
Good point...my experience is only with a 2012 Aspire with three Dometic Penguin II AC units and the LP-375 AquaHot. The model for your coach would be a different part number. Micro-Air has a pretty easy to work through guide to select which thermostat is the correct one for your rig. This thread only talks to the simplicity of the install. I was just super impressed with the lack of need to futz with dip switches, confusing settings, etc. and the simplicity of the smartphone app. Also of note is that my total experience with this thermostat is just from a couple of days of ownership. The phrase "your mileage may differ" comes to mind but hopefully Micro-Air did their homework on the other versions of this t-stat. I think this t-stat has actually been on the market for six months or more so there should be plenty of owners out there that can provide feedback from across the RV world.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:38 AM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was going to buy one at the Gillette WY FMCA rally but they didn't have the model I need.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks
If it does not work, send them an email. They will help you trouble shoot. If it turns out to be a software problem they have been know to send out a patch fairly quickly.

My install was a plug and play. I have keep the old one incase this on fails where I can go and plug in the old one back in.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:00 PM   #20

I also held onto my old thermostat just in case. The reality is I’ll probably never remember where I put it should I ever need it though!
Old 08-01-2021, 05:09 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Coleman compressor Start Delay is Configurable

I have also asked MicroAir for the simultaneous configuration of all zones. I suggested implementing it as a "sync" button (like in your car if you have multi-zone climate control) so as not to disrupt the current functionality. Also, that capability sort of kinda exists already, try selecting the "Away" function.

For the Coleman's there is actually no need to worry about all three compressors starting at the same time and there is no need for the thermostat to do anything about it either. Consider, all three starting at the same time would be an issue regardless of which thermostat is being used, think about when you first plug in at the campground.

Don't know how Dometic handles it, but for late 2013 and newer Entegra with the Coleman/Airxcel units this is already addressed by a hard-coded delay controlling when the compressor starts in the upper control box in the return air plenum up on the roof. There is a different delay programmed into each roof unit (or should be). Note that the Blower starts immediately, only the compressor is delayed. The compressor delay is set by opening the control box and adjusting some dip switches to a different value for each of the roof units. The forum thread here has all the details.

BTW the upper control box is the brains of the system, everything connects to it directly including the thermistor (temp sensor), load shed input, Gen start output, etc. The thermostat is just another input. ~2015 (9330-333 thermostat) and newer Entegra use a 2 wire data buss, older (8330D331 thermostat) use a 1 wire data buss that can communicate with all three upper control boxes.

Note that the Entegra version of the Airxcel thermostat 9330-333 is unique to Entegra which is why MicroAir needed one to reverse engineer. Likewise the upper control box is unique to Entegra as well, should one fail they might be more difficult to obtain than usual.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:17 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks
You should have the Airxcel 8330D331, the number should be on the back. I'm pretty sure MicroAir has, or will have shortly, a version to replace this unit.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:53 PM   #23

I'm with you right up to the iPhone app part - while highly unlikely, if YOU can adjust your controls from your phone, so can a hacker. I would never have anything - garage door opener, thermostat, etc ... enabled on the internet. Cool, but not worth the risk. Anyone see the Big Bang Theory episode where Sheldon, upset with Leonard, cranks up the heat in his former across the hall apartment with his phone - in the next scene Leonard is saying to Penny, "Is it hot in here???"
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFTH View Post
I'm with you right up to the iPhone app part - while highly unlikely, if YOU can adjust your controls from your phone, so can a hacker. I would never have anything - garage door opener, thermostat, etc ... enabled on the internet. Cool, but not worth the risk. Anyone see the Big Bang Theory episode where Sheldon, upset with Leonard, cranks up the heat in his former across the hall apartment with his phone - in the next scene Leonard is saying to Penny, "Is it hot in here???"
You would need my wifi password to come in via the internet….unlikely
Old 08-03-2021, 06:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
You would need my wifi password to come in via the internet….unlikely

Actually a hacker would not need to hack you but rather hack the company that serves as the proxy to your connection. Your wifi thermostat connects to the service either in the companies data center or more likely AWS or equivalent and you connect to that service to perform your task that is proxied by the server service. So you're not in control of the hacker but rather the company serving as the proxy to the connection to your thermostat. (or whatever IoT device, Nest, Ring etc)
jeff.herren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.herren View Post
Actually a hacker would not need to hack you but rather hack the company that serves as the proxy to your connection. Your wifi thermostat connects to the service either in the companies data center or more likely AWS or equivalent and you connect to that service to perform your task that is proxied by the server service. So you're not in control of the hacker but rather the company serving as the proxy to the connection to your thermostat. (or whatever IoT device, Nest, Ring etc)
All for the purpose of turning up the thermostat in my RV in an RV park or campground in a targeted attempt to kill my dog while I am away from the RV? You guys need to take your tin hats off! ��
Old 08-03-2021, 07:09 PM   #27
NXR

Slick!

Quote:

I wonder how they're funding that connectivity since there are no monthly fees. It sounds like they may have set the initial price of the thermostat so high to cover that connectivity cost.

But...that money will run out and "hidden" services like adequate security controls can cost a lot so they can degrade as the company cuts costs.

Hopefully the actual control of the RV HVAC system is all in the RV and there is no mandatory "phone home" requirement but I suspect there is for at least part of the functionality.

What kind? They should be using digital certificates to provide wireless encryption and those always have expiration dates, normally a year or less from when they were created. Somehow those certs will need updated (renewed) or things break. Hopefully just the wireless part.

Ray
Old 08-03-2021, 07:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I wonder how they're funding that connectivity since there are no monthly fees. It sounds like they may have set the initial price of the thermostat so high to cover that connectivity cost.

But...that money will run out and "hidden" services like adequate security controls can cost a lot so they can degrade as the company cuts costs.

Hopefully the actual control of the RV HVAC system is all in the RV and there is no mandatory "phone home" requirement but I suspect there is for at least part of the functionality.

What kind? They should be using digital certificates to provide wireless encryption and those always have expiration dates, normally a year or less from when they were created. Somehow those certs will need updated (renewed) or things break. Hopefully just the wireless part.

Ray
You bring your own internet connectivity…..i.e. MOFI device or personal hotspot etc.