Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2021, 08:22 AM   #1

Slide in while on jacks

Before anyone asks/says……yes, I know the proper procedure for EC slide retraction and deployment.

In a prior thread, I mentioned that even though you get to ride height, bringing a slide in on UN Level ground can be challenging. We happened to be a site that was leaning towards the drivers side of the coach. Fighting the weight of the slide and gravity made it a battle for the motor. I was concerned it would not made it up the ramp and would have to enlist some extra hands.

Has anyone ever tried to bring slides in while on jacks?

Lots of issues; torque on frame, extra stress on slide motor, not square, and probably more I’m too dumb to consider.

Reason why I would is that on jacks, coach is level. Might not satisfy all the conditions to close all the way but in this case level would allow the slide to come in enough to then retract jacks, get to air ride height, then finish closing.
I would consider this only as a last resort type effort.
Curious to others think.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2021, 09:26 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Maybe I have been doing it wrong for 20 years. I always retract the slides while the jacks are down. Start the engine, retract the jacks. One interesting aspect is to open a window/vent while moving the slides for air pressure normalization.
GrantR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:33 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One article I read stated retract the slides the same way you extended them. Having said that, the previous owner of the rig that I have was adamant to level then extend slides because he had the slide bind on him following Entegra's instructions. Probably similar situation to what you are experiencing. So to answer your question, yes you can open and close slides while on jacks. If you opened your slides originally then leveled and have a remote for your slides, I would stand outside and watch very closely how they line up when bringing them in to make sure you do not scratch your paint in the opening. Maybe bring them in except a few inches, lower the coach and allow it to reach ride height, then bring them in the rest of the way if things look like they do not line up. In your current situation, a whole lot less stress on the motor and shear pins compare to the slides being fully extended.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:42 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantR View Post
Maybe I have been doing it wrong for 20 years. I always retract the slides while the jacks are down. Start the engine, retract the jacks. One interesting aspect is to open a window/vent while moving the slides for air pressure normalization.
Totally wrong for an Entegra coach. Entegra slides are built totally different than other coaches and retract as the manufacture suggests. I ran into an Entegra owner at a camp ground with the paint badly scratched on one of his slides. He retracted his slides using your method from habit of his old coach. An expensive mistake that took me a cheat sheet to get use to.
People that own Entegras are free to use the slides as they wish, but I have seen the damage the wrong way can cause.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:01 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I do not hesitate to move my slides while on jacks, but I do not fully close them unless at ride height. PJ/Ted opined that that was OK, but the tolerances are too close to move them into or out of the hole unless at ride height.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 12:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
Before anyone asks/says……yes, I know the proper procedure for EC slide retraction and deployment.

In a prior thread, I mentioned that even though you get to ride height, bringing a slide in on UN Level ground can be challenging. We happened to be a site that was leaning towards the drivers side of the coach. Fighting the weight of the slide and gravity made it a battle for the motor. I was concerned it would not made it up the ramp and would have to enlist some extra hands.

Has anyone ever tried to bring slides in while on jacks?

Lots of issues; torque on frame, extra stress on slide motor, not square, and probably more I’m too dumb to consider.

Reason why I would is that on jacks, coach is level. Might not satisfy all the conditions to close all the way but in this case level would allow the slide to come in enough to then retract jacks, get to air ride height, then finish closing.
I would consider this only as a last resort type effort.
Curious to others think.
I always retract the super slide to within 3-4 inches of being fully retracted, while level, for the very reason you stated then finish retracting when aired up. Never had a problem.
J Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:56 AM   #7

Thanks, I figured others may have experienced this. Glad PJ said ok. The remote is a real nice feature when you need to see both inside and outside movement.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:04 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There is a similar post of someone who had one of his slides bind up even at ride height because the surface not being level. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/sli...nt-559056.html

Always difference of opinions if Entegra's instructions/steps are applicable in all real life situations.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:58 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
People are sure free to extended and retract their slides anyway they like. Just passing on 20 years of Entegra experience including one Travels Supreme. The one time I did not use the factory preferred method I did bind the large slide up on the TS. Totally my fault being a newbie on an un-level surface. I do bring my slides in and out while in storage on jacks. But I am on glass level concrete and use the jack to take the weigh off the tires etc. I have never bound a slide up in those conditions. Follow the procedure and less chance of a problem, if not soon or later and bind up can happen, been there on that one too. JME
Old 11-01-2021, 09:42 AM   #10

My example and as addressed in the other thread is a ‘what if’ type situation
Hope we never get a site like what we had that would cause me to consider running the slide in a bit.
Caution, would be the word.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:42 PM   #11

I might suggest doing one thing when retracting on jacks. No matter how level or solid the surface is, if the coach has been sitting on jacks. one may have leaked down slightly, or completely without being noticed, leaving your chassis in a twist.
I would suggest starting the engine, re-leveling so everything is up where it's supposed to be, then retract the slides.
I rarely park on unlevel surfaces, but recently while parked on the grass at a lake, I dumped the air, put down the jack pads, leveled the coach, extended the slides. When I left, I leveled the coach first, then retracted the slides, never know how much a jack pad sinks or a jack leaks down while sitting.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:06 PM   #12

How about extending and retracting the slides on an Anthem that has been leveled using the airbags? 90% of the time I use additional air system that is built-in to an Anthem and Cornerstone to auto level and not bother with the jacks. I would think extending/retracting slides would be ok as the jacks are up and the coach is on its airbags and its level.
RandyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:44 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I wouldn’t trust air leveling to keep house square. My air leveling always needs to be tweaked.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:07 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Fox View Post
I wouldn’t trust air leveling to keep house square. My air leveling always needs to be tweaked.
Ditto, I used air leveling on the 21 last night on an un-level site. The front end was so high, I used the double dump jack method to get the steps closer to the ground. I would not have trusted the air leveler to extend or retract the slides on this site

Tags
jacks, slide