Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2022, 12:19 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Slide Motor Issue

Hello all. It appears I have over torqued my front passenger slide. The front gear shaft connecting pin has sheared off. The previous owner said it happened to him also once. Is there a limit switch in these to stop the slide once closed and prevent the over torqueing? Trying to judge by difference in sound is ridiculous for us old farts with terrible hearing and constant ringing in the ears. Has anyone come up with a workable solution for this issue?

with Beamer and Rusty
Old Grape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2022, 12:32 PM   #2

Not sure what coach you have.

We have a 15 Cornerstone and have sheered a pin.

They are design to sheer if over stressed. I don’t have a good solution other than to release the button once the slide is in place and to keep some extra sheer pins handy.

The one I sheered was under the bed and it was easy to replace the pin. The two front slide motors are easy to access as well. The vanity slide in the bedroom will be a real problem to access it that pin goes.

While your in there be sure to check the four mounting bolts on each of the slide motors. Each of my four motors had loose bolts.

Here is a an Amazon link for the correct sheer pins.

Poulan Pro 575939901 Tiller... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010XV41U...p_mob_ap_share
dirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:58 PM   #3

According to Entegra CS you can also use Grade 8 bolts (well first time they said Grade 5 but when at the mothership they replaced with Grade 8 and updated the recommendation). Mobile tech that replaced one of mine said add nyloc nuts and you don't have to worry about loosening of that bolt or cranking the nut/bolt combo down too tight.

FWIW someone mentioned stopping the slide just shy of complete closure and 'feathering' them in the last little bit so as to not over torque. Haven't done that as it feels like more stain on the motor but what do I know
jeff.herren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:21 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grape View Post
Hello all. It appears I have over torqued my front passenger slide. The front gear shaft connecting pin has sheared off. The previous owner said it happened to him also once. Is there a limit switch in these to stop the slide once closed and prevent the over torqueing? Trying to judge by difference in sound is ridiculous for us old farts with terrible hearing and constant ringing in the ears. Has anyone come up with a workable solution for this issue?
A workable solution is to watch the slide from the inside or out. As soon as it makes contact stop. As soon as the motor slows down, stop, hold the button longer and it's worse.
Getting hearing aids two years ago also helped me hear when the slide was slowing down.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:37 PM   #5
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Your tubing is going to be oblonged and will need to be cut down and drilled or rotated and drilled. This will keep from cutting the new pin or bolt depending on how you are going to make the repair. The motors usually amp out and stop. We normally use a grade 8 shoulder bolt that will go through the entire shaft and then tighten down with a washer at the top and bottom.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 02:05 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
Your tubing is going to be oblonged and will need to be cut down and drilled or rotated and drilled. This will keep from cutting the new pin or bolt depending on how you are going to make the repair. The motors usually amp out and stop. We normally use a grade 8 shoulder bolt that will go through the entire shaft and then tighten down with a washer at the top and bottom.
The bolt instead of the pin sounds better than a shear pin. Since the pin is sheared the shaft from the motor and the one for the gear slip some. Would that possibly be the reason for the top tilting in slightly and not sealing when it is extended?

with Beamer and Rusty
Old 05-03-2022, 02:11 PM   #7

I always request complete quiet in the coach when I am moving the slides. The reason I want complete quiet is that I am listening to the sound of the motors. As the motors approach full extension or full retracting, the motor begins to "labor" and you can easily hear it getting close. When I hear the pitch of the motor start to change, I stop pressing the button.

Also, I only ever move the rear slides with me standing at the VegaTouch panel "midship". The motor sounds are easy to hear. Also, I ONLY move the front two slides using the extend/retract buttons above the entrance door on the passenger side. Again, you can easily hear the motor sounds.

Never any other way..... always that way. Never had a problem.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:09 PM   #8

OG, you have the remote?
If so, when getting ready to depart, I follow Chuck’s suggestion: Verify rooms are clear. After I verify we get to ride height, using the inside switches, I run rear slides in about 90% of the way in, then do the front slides to about the same point. Then, with the remote, I go out and close each slide the remaining way. When the slide is flush: Stop.
I find there is too much interference with slides out to run them in using the remote only. Plus, it saves on battery use.
Hope this helps.
Tom
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:39 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Update - Sheared pin replaced with bolt. Front, top right side of slide still not sealing completely. There is still about a 1/2" gap. I read somewhere on here that bolts need to be adjusted while slide is extended. I need to ask Entegra where those adjustment bolts are.

with Beamer and Rusty
Old 05-15-2022, 12:18 PM   #10

Our solution. The DW whose job it is to extend and retract the slides uses the side mirrors to watch slides come in and when the slide gets flush with the side of the coach she stops. Also, the adjustment bolts are under the front edge of the slide. I watched them adjust our slide and it looks like a pretty crude process. Wouldn't attempt it myself.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:57 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
A workable solution is to watch the slide from the inside or out. As soon as it makes contact stop. As soon as the motor slows down, stop, hold the button longer and it's worse.
Getting hearing aids two years ago also helped me hear when the slide was slowing down.
I practice medicine and am not an engineer, but why is there not a plunger pin switch (like the inside of the fridge) that would stop the motor at the proper time?

Best

Dr. Mike
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post
I practice medicine and am not an engineer, but why is there not a plunger pin switch (like the inside of the fridge) that would stop the motor at the proper time?

Best

Dr. Mike
The "brains" in the motors sense the current draw, are supposed to cut power when the motors "stall"
The motors also have internal brakes and can only move with power applied, this keeps the slides from working out while you're driving.

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post

Best

Dr. Mike

Yes, there are some safeguards built into the system, but being “careful” will usually avoid problems.

Kinda like you should never shift an automatic transmission in a car from drive to reverse while the wheels are still turning….yeah you get away with it for a time, BUT the mechanism suffers anyway…..
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, slide, slide motor