RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #1

Small water leak from windshield

While driving in pretty heavy rain yesterday, I noticed after we parked that we had a little water coming in from the windshield seal. Has anyone had the same issue and a fix to recommend? I have luckily never had to replace my windshield but was wondering if they put any sealant on the rubber seal when it is installed. Perhaps a bead of silicone between the glass and the rubber seal would be sufficient?

Thanks.

Tor
737 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2021, 07:07 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I had a leak on the driverís sideógot a ladder out and discovered the windshield gasket/seal is actually in two parts. One fits into the other.

One part had sort of jumped out of the track. It was about a foot or so that had popped out. The flat blade of a screwdriver helped work it back into place. It was sort of a tongue-in-groove design.

If itís up high you might not notice without climbing a ladder...

Maybe an option...
bsaldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaldeen View Post
I had a leak on the driverís sideógot a ladder out and discovered the windshield gasket/seal is actually in two parts. One fits into the other.

One part had sort of jumped out of the track. It was about a foot or so that had popped out. The flat blade of a screwdriver helped work it back into place. It was sort of a tongue-in-groove design.

If itís up high you might not notice without climbing a ladder...

Maybe an option...
Thanks, I will brave it and get on a ladder tomorrow. I have actually seen what you are describing once, and pushed one part of the seal into the other. I might have missed an other area that has separated.

Tor
Old 01-23-2021, 05:57 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

I did have a windshield replaced recently. After installation, I had a small windshield leak in the upper right hand portion of the windshield. Since my install was a warranty issue, I had a glass company come to repair the leak.

As was mentioned, the seal around the windshield is like a zipper. The repair guy just unzipped the seal, where the leak was happening and put a ton of sealant into the seal itself. He then zipped the seal back up and cleaned off the excess sealant. No more leaking.....

I'm sure you could do this yourself, but they have a special tool they use to zip/unzip the seal.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Q View Post
I did have a windshield replaced recently. After installation, I had a small windshield leak in the upper right hand portion of the windshield. Since my install was a warranty issue, I had a glass company come to repair the leak.

As was mentioned, the seal around the windshield is like a zipper. The repair guy just unzipped the seal, where the leak was happening and put a ton of sealant into the seal itself. He then zipped the seal back up and cleaned off the excess sealant. No more leaking.....

I'm sure you could do this yourself, but they have a special tool they use to zip/unzip the seal.
Interesting.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:48 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I use to pop the windshield on the Travel Supreme quite often. The frames did not have the cross bracing like Entegra now installs and why it was installed in later years. There is a plastic tool for zipping the seal back together. They can be purchased at any windshield shop for about a dollar. It's what all of the installers use. I am sure they would instruct you how to use it, it's pretty simple.

In your one post you mentioned two things I don't do anymore, and the reasons for it. Park on an unlevel sites where my wheels are off the ground or almost. That's why I had to buy the windshield tool. And drive in heavy rain. I think windshield leaks is reason #129.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I use to pop the windshield on the Travel Supreme quite often. The frames did not have the cross bracing like Entegra now installs and why it was installed in later years. There is a plastic tool for zipping the seal back together. They can be purchased at any windshield shop for about a dollar. It's what all of the installers use. I am sure they would instruct you how to use it, it's pretty simple.

In your one post you mentioned two things I don't do anymore, and the reasons for it. Park on an unlevel sites where my wheels are off the ground or almost. That's why I had to buy the windshield tool. And drive in heavy rain. I think windshield leaks is reason #129.
Thanks Chuck, I will look for that tool.

I hear you on all the reasons for not driving in the rain, but sometimes we just have to make it home. While driving in the rain, all I can think about is now I have to wash the rig again since I can't take it being dirty
Old 01-23-2021, 10:11 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 737 Driver View Post
Thanks Chuck, I will look for that tool.

I hear you on all the reasons for not driving in the rain, but sometimes we just have to make it home. While driving in the rain, all I can think about is now I have to wash the rig again since I can't take it being dirty
I hear that. I got caught pulling off I-75 just before the skies opened up into Walmart on the way home from NIRVC. Just enough wet on the road the MH needs washing....I hate that.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:15 AM   #9

Thanks for the info. Mine has a small leak as well in heavy rain. This has been on my list.
Fergtiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:48 AM   #10

Tor,

I had also experienced water entering around the windshield during periods of heavy rain while both driving and stationary. After finally breaking out the ladder and taking a close look around the perimeter of the W/shield seal I found numerous areas where the original caulking/sealant had dried and "flaked" away leaving areas where the water could enter. I purchased black caulking from H/D and ran a small bead along the top edge and upper side corner.
Having to do over again, I would use a high quality clear sealant... the black "skinned" over quickly causing a rough uneven finish, unnoticeable by people walkng by but I can't help but look at it each time i am
outside around the Coach!
The upside to the story is, that it did stop leaking!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IMG_0360.pdf (692.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf IMG_0361.pdf (634.3 KB, 3 views)
2017 Cornerstone 45B - FMCA-#489135
2012 Scion XB - Pushing hard
jrugarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrugarber View Post
Tor,

I had also experienced water entering around the windshield during periods of heavy rain while both driving and stationary. After finally breaking out the ladder and taking a close look around the perimeter of the W/shield seal I found numerous areas where the original caulking/sealant had dried and "flaked" away leaving areas where the water could enter. I purchased black caulking from H/D and ran a small bead along the top edge and upper side corner.
Having to do over again, I would use a high quality clear sealant... the black "skinned" over quickly causing a rough uneven finish, unnoticeable by people walkng by but I can't help but look at it each time i am
outside around the Coach!
The upside to the story is, that it did stop leaking!
John,

I did get on a ladder today based on your and others advice to check on the caulking around the seal. No area stood out but you never know. Bought some clear silicone today, based on your recommendation, and applied it around the top of the seal. It is supposed to rain here in Houston tonight so time will tell if it is sealed up. Now I will wait and see

Thanks guys for all the recommendations.

Tor
Old 01-23-2021, 08:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our windshield every once in awhile will have a drip come down from the top only while driving. The water while driving is forced on the glass and up and around the glass.

I talked to a windshield guy and he said he could fix it with a sealant, but the sealant is like gluing the windshield to the seal. With as much flexing of the front of an RV he felt you need the windshield to move in the seal, or you could have issues with the glass popping out.

I feel I can live with one drop every 15 to 20 minutes.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:42 AM   #13

We have an early 2018 44 B we purchased brand new. At first the windshield didnít leak but after a year of being on the road we developed a leak that continued to worsen. We were prepared for having to remove and reinstall the windshield.. we headed to Red Bay AL to an independent shop run by the man who does all Tiffin Motorhome installs at the factory. He ended up cleaning out all the old sealant when he found areas that were lacking sealant under the rubber gasket and he re-sealed our entire windshield without removing it. He also noticed the location of the seam where the gasket ends meet is in a bad location near the bottom corner of the DS but said hopefully the re-seal was enough and if the leak returned we would take out windshield and redo the gasket so the ends would meet at a location higher on the window.

Fingers crossed and knocking on wood so far we are doing good and over a year past the reseal work.

Daphne and Stephen Stanford
2018 Anthem 44B
Xpress21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:11 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There is another leak source that is sometimes mistaken for a leaking windshield seal. The front cap marker lights have been known to leak such that during heavy rain, a small amount of water leaks around a faulty seal and drips down the inside of the front cap to the inside top of the windshield.

It's good to periodically check the integrity of the seal around the marker lights.

I'm not suggesting that the OP's leak is not a leaking windshield gasket, just suggesting that there's another possible source that's relatively easy to check and eliminate.

Take care,
Stu

Tags
leak, water, water leak, wind, windshield