Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #1

Smell when driving?

I have a 2014 Anthem 44 DLQ. When I dry camp, when driving the smell from sewage is awful. Is this normal? What can I do to stop this? We have tried so many different odor eliminators nothing works. I have closed the drain on all sinks. That didn't help
Coolhand5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Google RV geeks you tube - they solved the problem with Siphon 360 vents.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
If it is a gray tank odor this was my problem and ululation. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/gray...on-256476.html

4,000 miles since the fix and we have been odor free.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Ditto on the 360 Siphon vent. Worked wonders for me.

Things to check in the interim:
1. All p-trap drains have some water in them
2. Toilet has water in bowl
3. Washer drain has water
4. All windows and vents closed when driving
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #5

We also recommend the 360 vents. Took care of the odor problem we had. Also, make sure to use the "max air" setting on the dash air when traveling until you get the 360 vents installed. It recirculates cabin air vs bringing in dusty unfiltered air. Introducing more air into the coach while you are moving causes problems with a positive pressure tank system.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:38 PM   #6

FYI, I purchased 2 360 Valves & that did not solve my problem. Washer is where my smell is coming from, had it fixed at PDI but still getting odor. Going to try cutting hose to c if that does it.
raceday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand5599 View Post
I have a 2014 Anthem 44 DLQ. When I dry camp, when driving the smell from sewage is awful. Is this normal? What can I do to stop this? We have tried so many different odor eliminators nothing works. I have closed the drain on all sinks. That didn't help
First, "odor eliminators" are just a band-aid...they do not fix the problem. Second, how do you "close" the drains on all sinks?

You mentioned the odor smell was "sewage". FWIW, the gray tank can really put out a very offensive odor too and usually can be traced back to a faulty AAV. Open the undersink cabinet and see if the odor is present there. If it is, the AAVs are probably your problem.

If it is indeed "sewage" smell, you could have a faulty seal on your toilet(s) or maybe a plugged, or non-operational vent. Another possibility is that the vent opening on the roof is too close to your fan vents and when you open a window, the odor will be drawn back into the coach.

If at all possible, you need to isolate exactly where the odor is most present....that will help in finding the problem.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #8

Your center bath sinks drain into the black tank. There are two air admittance valves under the bathroom sink. These valves have given a lot of problems and there is a high probability they are letting the black tank odor into the mh. I would go to Home Depot and buy a couple of good valves and install them, especially if the odor is strongest under the bathroom sink. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #9

I just blame it on the dogs. Keeps me out of trouble.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
Your center bath sinks drain into the black tank. There are two air admittance valves under the bathroom sink. These valves have given a lot of problems and there is a high probability they are letting the black tank odor into the mh. I would go to Home Depot and buy a couple of good valves and install them, especially if the odor is strongest under the bathroom sink. Noel
I agree with the air admittance valves. I had a problem with the gray tank odor getting into the coach. Went to Home Depot and bought a cheap AAV there and the problem did not stop. I finally got on Amazon and bought a better, more expensive valve and not nary a whiff any more.
Studor 20346 REDI-VENT Air Admittance Valve, 1-1/2" or 2" PVC Adapter, White: Window Screens: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Old 09-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #11

I had the same issue. I progressively replaced from the bathroom first, then the toilet sink, then the kitchen sink, all of the Pop vents with Studor vents. It didn't fix it. What finally absolutely resolved it 100% was to cut the washer discharge hose by about 14". THAT CURED it. It was definitely grey water odor and it was incredibly bad. I totally feel your pain. The fix was actually pretty easy, once I got there. The Studor vents are not cheap and weren't easy to replace due to the thinner pipe wall thickess used in the coach. I strongly recommend opening the panel in your hanging closet in the back and just pulling the washer discharge hose out of the pipe. If it's more than about 6-8" long inside the pipe, it's unnecessarily long. This hose in your sticks and bricks house is about 6" long into your discharge pipe in the wall. Mine was about 20" long and was consequently passing through the P trap in the drain pipe and negating what a P trap does.... separate you from the smell. Do this first and see if it improves things. If it doesn't cure it, I would recommend working on the Pop vents. I think the 360 roof vents are band aids... work on what's wrong and fix that first.... you should have no sewer air entering the coach, regardless of the 'style' of vent on the roof. I agree they help, but you don't want to mask a problem that exists. That discharge hose should not go through the P trap. Good luck and know that it can be cured. Mine's so good now... I use NO chemicals in either black or grey and drive all the time. My wife's a bloodhound too... she smells everything. We have over 18,000 miles in 6 months and the smell is GONE.
derba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
Ditto on the 360 Siphon vent. Worked wonders for me.

Things to check in the interim:
1. All p-trap drains have some water in them
2. Toilet has water in bowl
3. Washer drain has water
4. All windows and vents closed when driving
I looked at the P-trap on our shower and it is very shallow, so it will fit in the tight space. We started making sure there was water in the trap. I think certain driving conditions can make it ineffective. We also place a bathtub drain cover over it. We haven't had the stinks since.
MurphyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
First, "odor eliminators" are just a band-aid...they do not fix the problem. Second, how do you "close" the drains on all sinks?

You mentioned the odor smell was "sewage". FWIW, the gray tank can really put out a very offensive odor too and usually can be traced back to a faulty AAV. Open the undersink cabinet and see if the odor is present there. If it is, the AAVs are probably your problem.

If it is indeed "sewage" smell, you could have a faulty seal on your toilet(s) or maybe a plugged, or non-operational vent. Another possibility is that the vent opening on the roof is too close to your fan vents and when you open a window, the odor will be drawn back into the coach.

If at all possible, you need to isolate exactly where the odor is most present....that will help in finding the problem.

Good luck

Ron
what he said cheap fix AAV valves 2 under sinks smell under the b room if its the source like mine was, add 2 problem solved http://www.build.com/proflo-pf108202...FYc2gQodiL8LLA
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:13 PM   #14

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/slig...om-233057.html
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell