Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Heber City, Utah
Posts: 190
SMI Air Force One Install

We just left SMI in Newburgh, Indiana, where we had the Air Force One system installed in our new coach.

They did a very professional job and we have much more confidence than we would have if we'd had it installed elsewhere. They gave us a $150 credit for turning in our Stay and Play Duo system.
JoyceJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Orthopedic Capital of the World
Posts: 53
I'm in the process right know and would appreciate any information. Along this line, which unit did you have installed and will you share cost estimated for unit and labor? Where did you purchase?
Thanks
TgovSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Gary.Jones's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 10,532
Blog Entries: 1
Pretty sure he is talking about the Air Force One. It is SMI's top of the line. Have it and it is top shelf

Bought mine for about $1,100 and had it installed in ~ 3 hours for under $400, but prices vary widely. It pays to shop around. I assume if you buy from the company, you probably pay close to list.

Gary



Gary
__________________
Gary and Dee, Zowie and Bowie (traveling cat sibs)
2019 Cornerstone 45B, X15-605hp, Imperial, Spartan K3,
2013 Honda CR-V toad, Demco Excali-Bar II,
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
sdennislee's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7,464
Another vote for Air Force One. I paid $1,100 as well, cant remember installation charge.
__________________
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
rogelling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Blanchard, Idaho
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Joyce View Post
We just left SMI in Newburgh, Indiana, where we had the Air Force One system installed in our new coach.

They did a very professional job and we have much more confidence than we would have if we'd had it installed elsewhere. They gave us a $150 credit for turning in our Stay and Play Duo system.
Kevin; I have the Stay in Play Duo in my 2014 Ram but plan to trade for 2016 in October when warranty runs out. We'll be in Middlebury for PDI on 3 October so will probably get the AFI there also.

I'm sorry to report the Stay in Play has been a huge disappoint. Been back to SMI twice for blowing fuses. Was doing OK on way to Vegas with a 30 amp fuse when it stopped working north of Wickenburg. When I got to Vegas and unhitched found out the cause...a vacuum leak... pedal was going to the floor. Disconnected and pedal back to normal. Totally burnt out on this system.
__________________
Roger and Debbie
2015 Cornerstone 45B
2016 Ram 1500 4x4
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:06 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
sweetandsour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 328
Air Force One for me too.
$ 989 at Dyersrvonline. Installed myself. All day job for me. The car was the most aggravating part.
__________________
Steve
sweetandsour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 453
Smi af1

One thing you need to have done when installation of the AF1 system is to

make sure they anchor the line that goes through the firewall with a

nut and bolt. They just put a self taping screw and over torqued it and

would not hold properly. Just wiggled around, not secured tight. So, after

you read a bit more on this you should understand what I am talking about.

I went back by Newburg and they did for free and bought a wireless remote for dash. Really neat deal.

Great Company to work with, friendly staff and a perfect braking system for us so far. 1 year 9000 miles. So far


ps just ask them, they will do it this way , if you don't ask, I don't know.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:59 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Troy Mo
Posts: 1,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
One thing you need to have done when installation of the AF1 system is to

make sure they anchor the line that goes through the firewall with a

nut and bolt. They just put a self taping screw and over torqued it and

would not hold properly. Just wiggled around, not secured tight. So, after

you read a bit more on this you should understand what I am talking about.

I went back by Newburg and they did for free and bought a wireless remote for dash. Really neat deal.

Great Company to work with, friendly staff and a perfect braking system for us so far. 1 year 9000 miles. So far


ps just ask them, they will do it this way , if you don't ask, I don't know.
I agree nut and bolt to anchor the bracket to firewall is the only way to go. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Heber City, Utah
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogelling View Post
Kevin; I have the Stay in Play Duo in my 2014 Ram but plan to trade for 2016 in October when warranty runs out. We'll be in Middlebury for PDI on 3 October so will probably get the AFI there also.

I'm sorry to report the Stay in Play has been a huge disappoint. Been back to SMI twice for blowing fuses. Was doing OK on way to Vegas with a 30 amp fuse when it stopped working north of Wickenburg. When I got to Vegas and unhitched found out the cause...a vacuum leak... pedal was going to the floor. Disconnected and pedal back to normal. Totally burnt out on this system.
I don't know how long they will be issuing the $150 credit towards the AF1. Give them a call.
JoyceJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
classicalgas's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 247
I just got a new Chevy Tahoe that will become my toad. Since this is a perfect opportunity to install SMI rather than some other auxiliary braking system does anyone have any suggestions for an installer in the Tampa-Orlando Florida area?
__________________
Greg & Jenny Spencer "The Roadrunners"
Scout II - 2016 Entegra Aspire 44R
Toad: 2015 White Chevy Tahoe XL
classicalgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Heber City, Utah
Posts: 190
Smi

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicalgas View Post
I just got a new Chevy Tahoe that will become my toad. Since this is a perfect opportunity to install SMI rather than some other auxiliary braking system does anyone have any suggestions for an installer in the Tampa-Orlando Florida area?
I suggest calling SMI and see who they recommend. Not all installers are created equal.

They told us yesterday that they have seen some really bad installs done elsewhere. Folks have brought their vehicles in to get SMI do do it right.
JoyceJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
install



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Success! Just finished Install of Blue Ox Base Plate / Light Kit / SMI Air Force One Big_Boy Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 2 07-13-2015 08:38 AM
Smi Air Force one install on a 2010 jeep wrangler lclewis49 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 2 07-04-2014 06:42 AM
Dealer won't install SMI Air Force One Drilldoc Newmar Owner's Forum 12 03-20-2013 10:45 PM
SMI Air Force One install costs? Rileybob Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 9 09-05-2011 08:32 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.