Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2017, 07:57 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Snap, Crackle and Pop Window

First long drive in my new 2018 Entegra Aspire 42DEQ was wonderful, except for the large driver's window. Anything but a totally smooth road would result in a popping or cracking noise, sometimes so loud I wondered if it would break. When I put my hand on it up high I could feel it flexing and vibrating at times.

Anyone have this experience and a solution?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2017, 09:25 PM   #2

Jerry, that window has been a pain since day one.

We are on window #3 and hope this one lasts.

In your case, my suggestion is to contact Entegra and have them send you the 22' of the D weatherstrip. When you get it, remove the inner clamp ring and install the D weatherstrip between the clamp ring and the inner edge of the wall structure.

While this doesn't remove 100% of the Snap-Crackle-Pop, it helps greatly.

I would also suggest additional screws to secure the front Day/Night screens, and the under dash screw mod.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:26 AM   #3

The D wx strip fixed ours no problem. I think the metal trim rings are flexing just enough to create the noise,
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:47 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Matt, I think we have you beat on number of toll windows. We are on our 4th one and we still have problems. The original window did not have the "snap, crackle & pop" but depending on wind direction would let out a loud screech or whistle. Had that replaced by the dealer and the screech was gone, but the edges of the glass where the black strip is around the glass looked really bad and the window now had the snapping sound.

We were at Entegra Homecoming and they agreed it looked bad and had us come to Middlebury to have it replaced. When I got the coach back that evening the window they put in looked terrible, several screws were missing and you could see water leaking into the bottom track. They sent a tech to the parking lot to take a look and he could not find the weep holes so they had me back in the shop the next day. When they looked at the window they realized they had installed the wrong one so they swapped it out.

Now we have the snapping sound on all but the smoothest roads. To top it off the black sealant they put on around the exterior of the window is a mess, especially around the top to the window. Not sure how I am going to handle this as I really don't want to go back to Middlebury any time soon, but to say that this is a "half assed repair" is an understatement.

Thanks for the tip on the gasket material behind the clamping ring. May have a conversation with Entegra and look at a possible option of taking it to NIRVC in TX to get this straighten out.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:46 PM   #5

Mine was one that whistled in certain wind conditions. NIRVC ordered and installed a new one and it is much better. The small toll window on this one vibrates a lot but quieter.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:10 PM   #6

I had that problem in my Newmar. I also have it on the passenger window of my new Entegra. To fix it, I bought some 3/8" x 1/4" foam self adhering weather stripping. I removed the screws holding the inner trim ring and installed the foam WS behind it. The sound you hear is the metal trim ring rubbing on the plastic wall. The WS buffers it. Be careful when removing the inner trim ring. The window can fall right out if it's not supported.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:17 PM   #7

Buddy, not to worry as the window isn't going to fall out by accident. I've had the clamp ring off twice. Once for the seal mod, the second when I replaced the window assembly.

There is a good amount of sealant at the top of the window. Additionally, there is not very much slop between the window and the surrounding structure. Even after removing the clamp ring and cutting the silicone, I had to work to break our window loose for removal.

If you want insurance, simply lean a ladder against the outside of the window.

-Matt
Old 06-22-2017, 10:49 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
I totally understand and I am pissed. A week ago I had my wind noisy driver side window replaced at my PDI in Middlebury IN. They, tech's, said after a test drive all was well. When we left, at 45 mph on hwy 20 , we knew we were in trouble with the new window. I should have turned around and went back to Entegra but didn't. Big Mistake. Most annoying 1,500 miles we have ever spent in a motor home. That cracking, snapping noise with every pavement joint or pot hole had the DW and I to a point where our nerves were where we couldn't get along with each other because of my complaining about the window .I did get rid of the howling wind noise with Gorilla tape but couldn't stop the snapping noise..

Got home last night and am giving it a few days for me to simmer down before calling EC Monday morning. BTW, all the other items they didn't fix I can handle and solve myself. No more Middlebury for us. We were asked to sign the satisfaction survey before we left. We declined.

As you can tell I am not in a very good mood with this BS on a new MH. After reading the above post I an now even more concerned. I wish I had my old wind noisy window back.

PS, while there at the PDI some folks we got to become friends with were about to leave after an extended stay noticed their radiator was leaking. I told them I would gladly trade them for their leaking one for my not-yet leaking one. Spartan was right on it the next day.
Good place to happen.

What are my options with this window? What are the rest of you planning on doing? Suggestions appreciated. DIY fix? Can that snapping window be repaired?

Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:47 AM   #9

Pat, if they didn't install the D weatherstrip inside the clamp ring, you can and should do this.

However, a call to CS is warranted, and may be the best idea to coordinate a mobile repair tech to perform this job.

I can understand your frustration as I've had some very frustrating days with this coach. I'm hopeful it's just the typical new coach issues, and things will smooth out going forward.

Best Regards,

-Matt
Old 06-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
First long drive in my new 2018 Entegra Aspire 42DEQ was wonderful, except for the large driver's window. Anything but a totally smooth road would result in a popping or cracking noise, sometimes so loud I wondered if it would break. When I put my hand on it up high I could feel it flexing and vibrating at times.

Anyone have this experience and a solution?
I have a 2017 Anthem DEQ and have the EXACT same thing !!!
Old 06-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Pat, if they didn't install the D weatherstrip inside the clamp ring, you can and should do this.

However, a call to CS is warranted, and may be the best idea to coordinate a mobile repair tech to perform this job.

I can understand your frustration as I've had some very frustrating days with this coach. I'm hopeful it's just the typical new coach issues, and things will smooth out going forward.

Best Regards,

-Matt
Matt, I will be getting in touch with you regarding your experience with that window. I have a Mobile Tech in the area that is experienced with Entegras. When chatting with him awhile back on another subject, he inquired about my driver side window. He asked if I was having any problems with it. I will be talking with him today.

Thank's
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:23 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well they say misery loves company so I'm glad I am not the only one with this problem. Maybe if there are enough with the same issue there will be a "campaign" to take care of everyone.

Frankly I would rather have a larger "toll window" and a smaller upper window that flexes so much.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Well they say misery loves company so I'm glad I am not the only one with this problem. Maybe if there are enough with the same issue there will be a "campaign" to take care of everyone.

Frankly I would rather have a larger "toll window" and a smaller upper window that flexes so much.
X2 on what Butte said. [emoji106]
Old 06-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #14

For the past 2 years while at the rallies I've given them the same 2 suggestions:
#1 get a bigger toll window
#2 move the emergency flasher up on the dash where they're easy to reach in an emergency.

I realize everyone has their opinions and I'm sure the factory gets frustrated with some of the opinions but I believe these 2 items should have moved in front of the glowing counter tops.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window