Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #15

Puck Light removal

attached (hopefully) is the pic you requested
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2543.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	302155  
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 12:08 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balladeer View Post
OK, those are the same as the ones that were over my sofa. I *think* there is a bezel that pops off then there are screws holding it in. That was a project i did 4 years ago. I won't be back to the coach until next week, but I can check then, in the meantime I'll see if I took any photos.

BTW, those lights are non-dimmable.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:08 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Rob, I knew you would have the answer to the bad puck light wiring on the 21. Thank you. Where did you access the puck light wiring to install the switch to control both light?
The 21's have the goose neck reading lights in the corner, which are nice, but the puck lights that turn on with the vanity light needs to go away.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:13 PM   #18

Part of the issue here is that most LED lights are not dimmable while most incandescent lights are. There are dimmable LED lights available but I don't know a lot about them. Just something to think about. You might want to check out this link: https://www.cnet.com/news/which-led-...t-for-dimming/
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:21 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
OK, those are the same as the ones that were over my sofa. I *think* there is a bezel that pops off then there are screws holding it in. That was a project i did 4 years ago. I won't be back to the coach until next week, but I can check then, in the meantime I'll see if I took any photos.

OK, found some of my photos and they had the part number showing. Mine was Optronics 22765-097. You can google that but eTrailer has some good info here:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Lighting...ll-description

It's like I said, the bezel has a small notch along the edge, use a small screwdriver to pop it off, then there are two screws that hold it in place.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:20 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Rob, I knew you would have the answer to the bad puck light wiring on the 21. Thank you. Where did you access the puck light wiring to install the switch to control both light?
The 21's have the goose neck reading lights in the corner, which are nice, but the puck lights that turn on with the vanity light needs to go away.
Chuck, this was over the sofa on my B but it should be similar. When I removed the pucks, I was able to pull enough of the wiring out thru the puck holes to work on it. I may even have enlarged the holes a bit, can't remember. There is about 1" of space within the false bottom of the cabinet that provides room for the wiring. At least there is on my '17. As I recall there were some wood blocking in there as well, but there are gaps left for the wiring and I was able to fish around it.

The three pucks were paralleled in a string. The trick was finding which end of the string of pucks went to power and where the circuit was tapped for the (in my case) sconce lights. Once I figured that out I separated the circuit feed/sconce light from the puck lights, then put the switch in between the circuit feed/sconce lights and the pucks. I just fished the wires for the switch to the location for the switch and drilled or cut the appropriate mounting opening. It just switches the positive lead.

Unfortunately I don't seem to have taken any pictures of that project, but if I find any I'll post them.

Another option. I had some other wiring to do in the bedroom overhead cabinets for a different project, but in that case I couldn't get to the wiring from below (there were no pucks there), so I partially pulled up the of the floor of the cabinet from inside the cabinet. It is stapled in place. Did what I needed to do and reassembled it with small screws to make future access easier.

Hope that helps...
Old 09-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Part of the issue here is that most LED lights are not dimmable while most incandescent lights are. There are dimmable LED lights available but I don't know a lot about them. Just something to think about. You might want to check out this link: https://www.cnet.com/news/which-led-...t-for-dimming/
Actually, all LED lights in their native form are dimmable. It's the drivers (aka power regulators) that make them difficult or impossible to dim. Any LED without a driver, like most of those low voltage tape lights, have no drivers and can easily be dimmed. Dimmable puck lights are also readily available these days. Even the 120v smart bulbs are mostly all dimmable.

The most efficient way to dim an LED is by Pulse Width Modulation, basically turning the power on and off rapidly. The narrower the pulse or 'on time' the dimmer the light output.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:11 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
The most efficient way to dim an LED is by Pulse Width Modulation, basically turning the power on and off rapidly. The narrower the pulse or 'on time' the dimmer the light output.
But sometimes that causes lights flickering, or an audible buzz.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:56 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Name:   Puck.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  24.2 KB
Quote:

Those “touch” puck lights are the same as the ones on my ’18 Anthem installed under the cabinets over the theater seating. They are wired on the same circuit as two sconce lights installed on the wall behind the theater seating. As originally installed, neither the puck lights nor the sconce lights were dimmable.

Here’s a thread that describes how I was able to modify that lighting circuit so that I can dim the sconces: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/sco...-391476-2.html

I installed two PWM dimmers that control the sconce lights but have no effect on the puck lights. The short version is that PWM dimmers very rapidly turn power off/on so that the LED’s output is diminished because it’s not continuously energized. The off/on cycles rapidly enough that there’s no flicker, just dimmer light output.

If a PWM dimmer is installed to dim the whole circuit, when you turn that dimmer down, all the lights on the circuit dim (sconces and puck lights). However, if you reach up and touch one of the puck lights to turn it OFF, it will turn OFF until the next pulse of current passes from the dimmer to the circuit. The puck light sees that current flow and turns on and remains on until the puck light is touched again. I think that all happens in nano-seconds so the puck light doesn’t appear, to the human eye, to turn off at all. So, you effectively lose the ability to turn off the puck lights by touching them.

I believe that the wiring of the flexible reading lights and puck lights is similar to my sconce lights and puck lights.

The thread referenced above includes info regarding the PWM dimmer that works flawlessly in my ’18 Anthem.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-24-2020, 08:42 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Rob. I'll get into that project as soon as it cools off. It can't be that hard to find the wiring and run with your idea.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:52 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

Someone should have mentioned that to Entegra years ago.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
So before I cause unwanted damage, can anyone tell me how you safely remove the puck light fixtures?
Do they unscrew, pry/pop out with gentle prying, etc.?

Thanks...
This really depends on the light. For mine, the lens unscrews to the left which unlocks it from the base. Once off, the base where the LED light is located has 2 screws that anchor it to the cabinet.

Naturally, yours might be different. Some hook to either side and come off with a slight squeeze. Others might do something else.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Hi Rob,

As I went through a process to dim the sconce lights that are on the same circuit as the touch puck lights, I was able to dim the puck lights using a PWM dimmer. However, the capability to turn off the puck lights by touch was lost when the PWM dimmer was wired into the circuit.

With the PWM dimmer in the puck light circuit and the circuit energized, the dimmer did dim the three puck lights. When the dimmed puck light was touched to turn it off, it immediately re-illuminated. As soon as you released your "touch", the next pulse of current to the puck light turned it back on. That happens in nano-seconds and the puck light doesn't even flicker off during that process.

At least, that was my experience trying to dim the puck/sconce lights.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-25-2020, 03:53 PM   #28

When I asked Entegra why those lights couldn't be dimmed, that was their answer.
A choice, touch or dimable
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hose, light, lights