RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2020, 06:16 PM   #1

So, those puck lights above the bed...

I'm looking for alternatives.

I love the fact that I can turn the lights on before crawling into bed and then turn either or both off with a simple touch without getting out of bed but, I hate the fact that those things are located in the worst possible position and are 10 times brighter than I'd like them to be. I can normally sleep with a light on but I find it impossible with even one of those on.

Surely others have had this problem and found a way around it that they'd like to share? I tried searching the "Modifications" thread but my search skills must be terrible since I'm drawing a blank.

I think that a flexible neck lamp with the same kind of touch on/off operation as the puck lights and that can be mounted in place of the pucks would be ideal. Optionally, I'd consider a battery operated flex neck that I can mount on the headboard.

Anyone have a suggested replacement idea?

Thanks,

Mike
2016 Aspire 44B
NomadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2020, 06:45 PM   #2

I agree with the gooseneck lights for reading but they should be mounted off to the side. There should be speakers where the puck lights are hocked into the TV and the Boze speaker unit should be thrown in the trash. It's useless. IMHO
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:55 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My problem with most all of the lights is that there is no dimmer. This includes puck lights as well as other LED lights in main cabin. Very hard to get ambience. I think it is possible to buy LED switches but I have seen them as $80 bucks or so each? I will watch this thread in hopes someone has the magic answer.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:55 PM   #4

the goosenecks definitely need to be dimable
Old 09-22-2020, 07:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
My problem with most all of the lights is that there is no dimmer. This includes puck lights as well as other LED lights in main cabin. Very hard to get ambience. I think it is possible to buy LED switches but I have seen them as $80 bucks or so each? I will watch this thread in hopes someone has the magic answer.

All of my lights dim throughout the entire Coach, except for puck lights over bed and ones over our triple recliners.
IMHO i can reach the lights above the bed while laying flat on my pillow. Dimmable ones would be nice.

Joe
FLOWERSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:13 AM   #6

Not sure about you model and year, but I know in my classic it is possible to have the switches programed to dim lights. Give Firefly a call, I am sure that will tell you whether or not your panel can make the changes.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:19 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Mike, I feel for you, the 21's got worse. We "use" to use the vanity light as a back light for watching TV in bed. Entegra for 21 wired the bed puck lights to the vanity switch and it does NOT dim. Talked with Ted Cook, no fix so I'll be looking to put a switch in for those lights.
On your earlier year, the dimmer for those light are on the wall switch, not the overhead between the light. One drawback to using the switch to dim, is it has to be just right in the full on for the puck light to be touched for dimming. On my previous coaches you could touch the lights to turn them off and on and press hold to dim them from the light. Yours should be the same on the 16.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Careful, those puck lights above the bed and couch were dimmable in earlier years with bad results. The setup Entegra used gave off a hum if the lights were set anywhere other than full bright. That is why they deleted the dimmer on these lights.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
We're looking at fixing this ourselves. Our coach has the puck-style lights located right above the bed's pillows. There is no way these lights are usable unless you want to do something along the lines of looking directly in to the sun.

I'm looking along the lines of this: https://www.amazon.com/Bentrance-Int...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I just searched Amazon using "LED gooseneck light RV" as the search term. Warm light, brushed nickle, $27. Should be an easy fix.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #10

search dimmable rv puck lights
amazon has some
dont know if any good
can’t seem to grab a link
Old 09-23-2020, 02:05 PM   #11

Yes, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
We're looking at fixing this ourselves. Our coach has the puck-style lights located right above the bed's pillows. There is no way these lights are usable unless you want to do something along the lines of looking directly in to the sun.

I'm looking along the lines of this: https://www.amazon.com/Bentrance-Int...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I just searched Amazon using "LED gooseneck light RV" as the search term. Warm light, brushed nickle, $27. Should be an easy fix.
I thought about those, or ones like them, and the problem that I see with them is that you lose the 3 way switching capabilities. (Unless of course you reset the switch every day.) For example, you turn the lights on at the wall switch and get into bed. You later turn the light off at its switch.
So, what happens tomorrow? You can't turn the light on at the wall switch since last night you turned it off at the light. Now you have to crawl across the bed to turn the light on at its switch before you can turn it on at the wall switch (or remember to do that every morning as you groggily climb out of bed).

You'd need some sort of momentary switch instead of a standard on/off switch I guess. Of course, it may be that if you turn the light off at its switch, it's off and you need to go back to the wall switch to turn it on?
I don't know but I'd like to hear about your experiences if you go that way!

Mike
NomadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #12

Puck Lights

So before I cause unwanted damage, can anyone tell me how you safely remove the puck light fixtures?
Do they unscrew, pry/pop out with gentle prying, etc.?

Thanks...
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:22 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balladeer View Post
So before I cause unwanted damage, can anyone tell me how you safely remove the puck light fixtures?
Do they unscrew, pry/pop out with gentle prying, etc.?

Thanks...
Depends, post a photo...
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
My 2017 Aspire came with dimmable reading lights on a short adjustable stalk over the bed. They are the same as the map lights above the driver and passenger seats on my coach. Very good fixture. However if you simply replace your pucks with those you still won't be able to dim them.

I installed these similar looking lights on my boat but these have a built in dimmer;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M98Z6ND..._LzkBFb80PAM91

They on/off/dim by touching the fixture body in the area of the two bands. They have a blue nightlight that lights up the bands (too bright to leave on while sleeping however) and a dimmable white light. We like them. Touch once for the nightlight, touch again the nightlight goes off and the reading light comes on, hold and the light dims/brightens, let go and hold again and the dim/bright reverses, touch again and the light goes off.

They also have the characteristic of maintaining the last setting, including the dim level, even if power is removed, so they should work OK with your firefly switches. I tested this earlier today. So say you leave the white light on at 50% dim and turn off the wall switch, when you turn the wall switch back on the light will revert to 50% dim. However, note that if you shut the lights off from the light itself, the wall switch will not turn it back on, you will need to touch the light again to turn it on.

Note there are several variations of these lights available, some don't have the nightlight and others are available with a built in USB port, very nice.

I think my approach might be to leave the pucks in place, wire a light like the above to the same puck circuit, but physically place it in a more appropriate spot suitable for a reading light. Then add a mechanical switch like this between the circuit and the pucks, installed in the overhead. That way you could still use the pucks as task lighting when needed and keep them shut off the rest of the time. The new reading lights would still operate off the wall switch. In fact I did exactly this above the sofa on my 44B. It came with non-dimmable pucks that go on and off with the wall sconces - dumb. So I put the above switch in the overhead to kill the pucks unless I really need them.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hose, light, lights