Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2018, 04:55 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Source of air leak - AF1?

My new to me 2015 has a rapid air leak in the rear air. It takes about 15 minutes to go from full pressure to where the Low air alarm sounds.

The prior owner used an Air Force One braking system, which my air hose (M&G) does not fit so it is now unhooked. Wondering if this may be source of the air leak? Probably not but just wanted to check before I start making service appointments, which I’m sure will be expensive...

John
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2018, 05:33 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think the leak has anything to do with you not hooking up the AF1.

On both of my coaches I had leaks in the AF1 lines on the coach side. The installer had the lines run too close to the muffler and the plastic line melted or it rubbed against the frame of the MH. It's an easy fix but sometimes difficult to detect.

Try to follow the AF1 line and listen to any hissing sounds.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:17 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
What's unhooked and where?
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:19 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
John,

With a leak that quick, you should probably be able to hear a leaking sound when you park and turn off the coach. There are many air fittings back there that could be loose, or if like mine, an air dryer replaced when serviced and the tech left off the outer seal. You can get a spray bottle with soap and water and check many of the air connections in the back. (passenger side, last door)

I would be cautious about getting under the coach unless you can lift the back driving up on home made ramps, etc. If the air bags are not deflating, then you can raise the back with the jacks, and use some jack stands for safety to check the air connections. There will be others that respond that can give you additional suggestions to look for.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #5

If it's leaking that much you should be able to find the leak by getting it up to full pressure (120 psi), shut down the engine and go back to the open engine bay and listen. The location of the leak will be readily apparent so you can identify what needs fixed. Good Luck!
Old 02-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Source of air leak - AF1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnontheroad View Post
My new to me 2015 has a rapid air leak in the rear air. It takes about 15 minutes to go from full pressure to where the Low air alarm sounds.

The prior owner used an Air Force One braking system, which my air hose (M&G) does not fit so it is now unhooked. Wondering if this may be source of the air leak? Probably not but just wanted to check before I start making service appointments, which I’m sure will be expensive...

John

John,
If you removed the air line coupler at the rear of the coach you will have a air leak every time you apply the brakes.

Sorry if this is not correct as you didn't say what was unhooked.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #7

Quote:

John

For what it is worth: I have an AF1 installed on my Cornerstone. There is an air line leading from the rear axle to a check valve on the AF1. Recently, the check valve came apart and I lost air pressure. Fortunately, I was at a truck stop. The air pressure went to almost zero and would only build up to a little over 65 psi. A mechanic at the truck stop removed the air at the check valve and capped it. That stopped the air leak until I could get a new part for the AF1.
Polecat47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Gasman/Polecat and others: sorry for not responding sooner. The only thing unhooked was the line from the coach to the toad. But with my M&G system I could drive fine without the toad and never lost air pressure, but it was just a question.

Later today I will follow other advice, air up, turn off and listen for air leaks. Maybe I can at least pin down a source of the leak.

John
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:20 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Gasman/Polecat and others: sorry for not responding sooner. The only thing unhooked was the line from the coach to the toad. But with my M&G system I could drive fine without the toad and never lost air pressure, but it was just a question.

Later today I will follow other advice, air up, turn off and listen for air leaks. Maybe I can at least pin down a source of the leak.

John

When you start your engine does the air gage marked “front” cycle, ie, increase then decrease in a short period of time? We had this problem on our new coach (2016 Anthem) after taking delivery. Entegra taps into the supplemental air system to actuate the door seal mechanisms (bathroom, bedroom and entry door). One of these lines had come loose and caused our problem. If this is the case you can either reattach or crimp it to stop the leak for a future repair. Just an idea.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Had the same issue as Polecat with my older AF1. The pressure protection valve on the older units is flying saucer shaped. Mine split open and was leaking air at a rapid rate. It was easy to hear with the engine off and easy to find.

Ironically, that valve is what prevents air loss should something go wrong with the AF1 itself.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Had the same issue as Polecat with my older AF1. The pressure protection valve on the older units is flying saucer shaped. Mine split open and was leaking air at a rapid rate. It was easy to hear with the engine off and easy to find.

Ironically, that valve is what prevents air loss should something go wrong with the AF1 itself.

That is ironic that was exactly the same as mine.

Since I use my Air Force One, I ordered a replacement check valve. Installed it today.

You have probably already capped off the air line from the coach. That was all that was necessary on mine and would have been all that I would have done if I did not use it. Happy trails.
Polecat47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, leak