Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2020, 10:32 AM   #1

Spartan Charlotte This Week

Drove up from to Charlotte for annual maintenance yesterday.

First, Indiana roads have improved. At I-69 north of Indy. Worse part was last 5-10 miles before Michigan state line. I joked that Indiana was just trying to prepare me for what was to come.

However, the first 20 miles in Michigan were fine. Then 20 miles of washboard, followed by the last 20 miles of some of the worse road I've driven in quite some time. Every expansion joint buckled and 90% of them had chuck holes. Far worse than last year even though they were patching last year.

The hilarious thing, they had more than 10 miles down to one lane with what appeared to be the expansion joint lotto going on. Once every 1-200 yards they replaced a single "bad" expansion joint with new concrete. I'd really like to know how they picked which expansion joint to "fix" out of the other 100+ that they ignored.

BTW, Spartan is locked down, lobby is closed and you only talk to advisor by phone. You have two choices, stay with the coach in the shop all day, or jump in your car and go exploring for the entire day.

I choose to stay with the coach at least today. Even though my advisor said no slides extended, my tech said I could extend them. I extended only the big slide to my my life easier while only affecting driver's side front wheel.

At least I get to see how much they actually work on my coach during the day. While being treated to this view:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201110_120103.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	307525  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #2

Steve, that section of I-69 from Charlotte to ten miles south or so is where three Spartan engineers test drove my ill-handling 2018 Cornerstone and pronounced it to be operating "as designed and within spec."

I thought about asking, "And how would you know if that is your test track?"

If you have a chance to see technician par excellence Andy Potter while you're there, please give him my regards.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:31 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I agree, the techs are very accommodating. They let us put out all the slides, take the dogs out for walks and even left for a couple hours for lunch and grocery shopping.

Yes it's nice to be right there, our tech called for me a few times to see something and I popped out a few times just to watch. I was always respectful, wore a mask and didn't take up too much time, but he was willing to answer all my questions and didn't try to rush me. Great experience.

BTW if you like being able to stay in the coach, let them know on the survey they send you with the invoice. JMO I think they should continue to at least offer you the choice.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:00 PM   #4
srh

Newmar Owners Club
They do this at Newell, in Miami, OK. You can stay in your coach while in their shop overnight. That's pretty nice. Beats staying in the hotels, for sure! Maybe this is the next new thing.
Safe travels!
Old 11-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Steve, that section of I-69 from Charlotte to ten miles south or so is where three Spartan engineers test drove my ill-handling 2018 Cornerstone and pronounced it to be operating "as designed and within spec."

I thought about asking, "And how would you know if that is your test track?"

If you have a chance to see technician par excellence Andy Potter while you're there, please give him my regards.
Larry unless there is more than one Andy then I have Andy Potter as my tech. He's pretty much been the tech on it since my first trip here. Agree, he is excellent. My only issue, is since he's so good, other guys are asking for his help and the advisors call him for "emergency's".

Steve
Old 11-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by photraveller View Post
Larry unless there is more than one Andy then I have Andy Potter as my tech. He's pretty much been the tech on it since my first trip here. Agree, he is excellent. My only issue, is since he's so good, other guys are asking for his help and the advisors call him for "emergency's".

Steve
That would be The Guy! As I've said on more than one occasion, whatever they're paying him, it's not enough.

Please do tell Andy I said hello.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
I agree, the techs are very accommodating. They let us put out all the slides, take the dogs out for walks and even left for a couple hours for lunch and grocery shopping.

Yes it's nice to be right there, our tech called for me a few times to see something and I popped out a few times just to watch. I was always respectful, wore a mask and didn't take up too much time, but he was willing to answer all my questions and didn't try to rush me. Great experience.

BTW if you like being able to stay in the coach, let them know on the survey they send you with the invoice. JMO I think they should continue to at least offer you the choice.
Gary, I'll see how the week plays out, but yes, I would appreciate being able to stay in the coach all day even if I have to stay in here. getting out at lunch would make it a no braiier even when the wife is with me. While I enjoy meeting and talking with people in the lobby, my bad back really hates sitting in chairs that aren't mine.

Steve
Old 11-13-2020, 10:17 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
BTW, Spartan is locked down, lobby is closed and you only talk to advisor by phone. You have two choices, stay with the coach in the shop all day, or jump in your car and go exploring for the entire day.
Hi Steve,

We're planning to arrive on Sunday afternoon for a Monday appointment.

Can you share with me the current status of water and sewer connections?

Thanks.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-13-2020, 11:38 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Was there last June.

Sites were electric only.

Front of lot had station for potable water, flush water and dump station. Easy in, easy out, easy back to your parking spot.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Hi Steve,

We're planning to arrive on Sunday afternoon for a Monday appointment.

Can you share with me the current status of water and sewer connections?

Thanks.

Take care,
Stu
Stu same as Airboss stated electric only at site. I saw the dump station up front, but didn't used or even walked over to take a look at it. That is a huge improvement over having to drive to a dump station.

Steve
Old 11-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Stu when we were there in October the dump station was open. However they were going to close it the day we left, don't know why. Best bet would be to call ahead to find out the status.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:16 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I saw the dump station up front, but didn't used or even walked over to take a look at it. That is a huge improvement over having to drive to a dump station.
Hi Steve,

Thanks.

About the same time that I posted here, I reached out to Katie at Spartan (Shyft).

She shared that although there is a dump station, it has been closed for the winter. The dump station at the fairgrounds is available. Water is available at the front of the building.

When I attended the Spartan Academy in June '18, there was discussion that Spartan was working with the county to get approval for them to install a dump station. They have received that approval and constructed the dump station. Apparently, it's only useable during the warmer months. I have no idea if there's some schedule open/close dates or if someone makes a decision depending on existing conditions.

Take care,
Stu

Tags
spartan