Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2021, 07:09 AM   #1

Speedco: Love's oil now

Had my third lube and oil and filter change done at Speedco yesterday (In Greenwood, LA off of I-20) and had two glitches.

First, I was told that they had no bulk Rotella 15-40 which is my normal oil preference and that they had not had any Rotella bulk in more than a month. They said they had no idea why they were not getting any more bulk.

They also said that they were now also carrying a LOVE's brand oil. The characteristics of the new Love's branded oil was supposedly quite good and exceeded or matched that of Rotella. I assumed it was a ploy to move me over to Love's branded oil but I bit on the change and that was what I now have installed in my X-15 605. I will say that I believe that it costs less but I would have been happy to pay for what I wanted when I pulled in. I assumed Love's oil was just a rebranded OEM oil and it was probably Rotella at a lower price, but the manager said "No, Loves bought an oil refinery and they are making their own" (Sounds suspicious to me). Strangely, again, there was no bulk oil.... it was all bottled and they put roughly 5 - 6 cases of bottled Loves oil in the engine.

And they did not have a replacement for my fuel filter (the Racor S3238). I usually am getting oil and lube at least every year so my standard policy is to give Speedco the filters that I have in my basement (all Fleetguard) and then take their new filters (all Luber-Finer) and put them in the basement as my new spares.

I am going to have to find the post up here (maybe Cruzer's) that distinguished the differences between the Racor S3238P and the Racor S3238. My memory is the filter's micron rating. I'm going to have to order a new Racor (they discounted the price for not having it). My memory is that we should be using the "P"

Edit: I did a quick search for the two filter models and the data I am getting is that the S3238 is a 10 micron filter and the S3238P is a 30 micron filter. As of this morning, Amazon prices the S3238 at $63.10

Also, the price is about what I paid in previous years.... approximately $350 for full oil and fuel filters, 53 quarts of oil, and lube. ($300 without the Racor).

EDIT: One final thing. At least my location no longer had the computer oil analysis machine. Not sure if this is all Speedcos or just my closest location.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
And they did not have a replacement for my fuel filter (the Racor S3238). I usually am getting oil and lube at least every year so my standard policy is to give Speedco the filters that I have in my basement (all Fleetguard) and then take their new filters (all Luber-Finer) and put them in the basement as my new spares.

I am going to have to find the post up here (maybe Cruzer's) that distinguished the differences between the Racor S3238P and the Racor S3238. My memory is the filter's micron rating. I'm going to have to order a new Racor (they discounted the price for not having it). My memory is that we should be using the "P"

Edit: I did a quick search for the two filter models and the data I am getting is that the S3238 is a 10 micron filter and the S3238P is a 30 micron filter. As of this morning, Amazon prices the S3238 at $63.10
Gary, I just went through this same confusion regarding Parker Racor fuel filters. Here is what I learned:

S3238 (no letter suffix) - 10 Micron
S3238P - 30 Micron
S3238T - 10 Micron

See attached images of the S3238P and S3238T. I'll see if I can find an image of a plain ol' S3238.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parker Racor S3238P-30 Micron.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	334582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Parker Racor S3238T-10 Micron.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	334583  

LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:34 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Good report Gary, thanks. The filter I have written down for the 21 is The Parker Racor S3238 no P which would be the 10 micron. I believe I took that right off of the filter when I made my list.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:51 AM   #4

Larry

I just ordered my "basement spares box" Racor S-3238 from Amazon, and it and the one 3238 that they just put on my coach yesterday (from my spares box) has no "P"...... and they look just exactly the same .... white canister and red lettering. Further it just makes sense that we would want the "finer" filter level of the 10 micron version.

Gary
Old 07-03-2021, 01:19 PM   #5

Gary, if you’re using Parker Racor S3238 fuel filters with red lettering, I would recommend double-checking the micron rating. I say that because…

Below are photos I just shot of a Parker Racor S3238 (no letter suffix) fuel filter I purchased a few days ago. As you can see, it is clearly labeled as a 10 micron filter and the lettering on it is blue. Similarly, in the two images I posted earlier in this thread, the Parker Racor S3238T is a 10 micron filter and has blue lettering, while the Parker Racor S3238P is a 30 micron filter and has red lettering.

I’m not implying that is sufficient evidence to indicate that all Parker Racor fuel filters with blue lettering are 10 micron and all Parker Racor fuel filters with red lettering are 30 micron, but based on my admittedly limited sample it appears that may be the case.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Parker Racor S3238 10 Micron Primary Fuel Filter-1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	334597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Parker Racor S3238 10 Micron Primary Fuel Filter-2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	334598  

Name:	Parker Racor S3238 10 Micron Primary Fuel Filter-3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	334599  
Old 07-03-2021, 01:58 PM   #6

I have a feeling that Amazon or RACOR is playing mind games on us. I was sure that the S3238 I just ordered from Amazon showed as a white can with red lettering. So I went out to look more closely at the S3238 that I retrieved from my spares box in the bus basement and look at what they just installed and what they just installed was a white can, blue lettering S3238. (See picture attached). However, I cannot see the side of the filter that the micron spec is printed on and am afraid to loosed up the air seal to get a better look. The jpg image below is of the currently installed S3238 and sight glass. So, mine looks like Larry's.

And just a few minutes ago, I brought the filter up on Amazon again and today it shows as a white can with black lettering.
See: https://www.amazon.com/Racor-RACOR-S...dDbGljaz10cnVl

So, maybe it depends on the color preferences or the emotional mood that the filter machine operator has the day that the filter comes off the line..... --

If you are right, and my current filter is blue and white, then I am hoping that I have the 10 micron filter installed. If the new filter comes in from Amazon as a 30 micron, I will in all probability return it to their distribution center.

After-thought... I see now that the linked Amazon picture is of the whole assembly including the metal mounting fixture that the filter screws into. I'm pretty sure that it must be a stock image and I am only going to get the filter and not the whole assembly. I see a quick-witted young fellow named GJones actually did the review up on Amazon --

Gary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Racor S3238 Fuel Filter.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	334602  
Old 07-03-2021, 02:00 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, do have the link of the filter you just ordered?
Old 07-03-2021, 02:02 PM   #8

Chuck

I just edited it into the post just before your question.

Gary
Old 07-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #9

Gary, if the photo below is the same one you're seeing on Amazon, yes, I've seen that one too.

I can't say for sure, but I think it's an old photo and I doubt the filter you receive will have that labeling. Please let us know when you get it.

Based on what you described about the filter currently on your coach, I'm pretty confident it is a 10 micron filter.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Chuck

I just edited it into the post just before your question.

Gary
Possible the color difference is that one shows as the complete unit with a new plastic bowl and mount, not just the filter cartridge. Here is the one Racor is showing.

https://www.racorstore.com/racor-s32...-assembly.html
Old 07-03-2021, 02:12 PM   #11

Damn, and its $13 cheaper.

Probably $20 shipping and handling from RACOR

Gary
Old 07-03-2021, 02:15 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Damn, and its $13 cheaper.

Probably $20 shipping and handling from RACOR

Gary
Just comparing the cartridges I'll bet the Racor price can be found lower from bulk re-sellers.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:20 PM   #13

I'm a complete sucker for "free shipping with Prime".

Gary
Old 07-03-2021, 02:25 PM   #14

Gary & Chuck, the "Racor Store" web site isn't run by Parker Racor. They are simply a reseller - see attached image below.

But they do have decent pricing. The S3238 filter still in the wrapping that you see in one of my previous posts in this thread was purchased from them. The price was $48.29, shipping was $14.19, total was $62.48.

As I recall, the Amazon price with free Prime shipping was similar but based on the photo Amazon was showing I wasn't confident about what I'd get so I went with the Racor Store.
Attached Images