Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2016, 04:30 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
SPN 157 FMI 18 Fault Code

"This is the toughest code to find and fix" was the quote from the mechanic after he hooked up his computer. Not what we wanted to hear. This was on the 13th of DEC, day 3 of our first trip in our 3 day old coach.

Approaching the end of a very long travel day, the following symptoms and warnings happened simultaneously - Engine Malfunction light illuminated, CHECK ENGINE warning illuminated, audible warning sounded (buzzer), engine power rapidly derated. Pulled off to the shoulder and verified no other warnings or abnormalities were evident. Engine idling just fine. As it turned out, this happened just 1/4 mile short of our intended offramp for the night. Limped into the RV park (speed limited to approx. 50MPH) and started making phone calls. Of course, it's Sunday night.

First call was to Entegra who in turn called Spartan. Spartan called within 5 minutes and deciphered the SPN FMI codes into a Cummins 559 code which translates into - Injector Metering Rail 1 Pressure - Data Valid but Below Normal Operational Range - Moderately Severe Level. The ECM has detected that fuel pressure is lower than commanded pressure.

The next call I received was from Coach-Net. Keep in mind, this is a 3 day old coach and we had not registered with Spartan, Cummins, Coach-Net, no one. I advised Spartan of this and was told no problem we can do that on the phone right now. Same with Coach-Net when they called approx. 15 minutes later because Spartan had called them. Coach-Net had already found an authorized Cummins Dealer less than 10 miles away.

The local Cummins Authorized Dealer, who was actually a Freightliner shop (Abilene, TX) was unable to see us until Tuesday. Tuesday morning we got hooked up to their computer and that's when their mechanic told us of the difficulty with this code. As it turned out, he wasn't kidding.

Long story short, parts were changed, limits (fuel flow) that were marginally out of tolerance were adjusted, filters changed etc. to no avail. We left Abilene about 4 days later only to have the same warnings and symptoms outside of Odessa, TX. This time we went to a Cummins shop, Southern Plains.

With this fault code, Cummins has a trouble shooting computerized checklist that the mechanic has to follow. It is monitored by Cummins, so no short cuts can be taken. The shop in Abilene, although Cummins authorized, does not have all the special tools required for this checklist. Because of this, it took their mechanic 3 full days to go through the checklist. At Cummins Southern Plains, Odessa, this took less than a day to complete.

Cummins ended up dispatching a field expert to Odessa, and after 4 more days and 3 additional failures while they were driving the coach, it was determined that a suction fuel line from the fuel tank or the tank itself was the culprit. Apparently with their computer hooked up while driving the coach, he noted the fuel pressure drop from 20 hg (normal range) to 10 hg just prior to the warnings presenting themselves again. Cummins Southern Plains is not capable of swapping out fuel tanks, so the coach had to be delivered to Lubbock Truck for the repairs. And of course, a new fuel tank had to be shipped to Lubbock.

When they removed the tank, silicone particles and pieces of welding slag were observed inside the tank. Spartan has asked that the tank be sent back to them so their engineers can take a look at the tank. They don't feel the silicone shavings are the problem.

We finally got the coach back on Thursday, some 6 1/2 weeks later. Spartan had the coach delivered to GA and thankfully, no fault codes or problems enroute

A few take aways from our prospective. Bad time of year for this to happen with Christmas and New Years and the days off associated with those holidays at the shops. Couldn't control that. Cummins Authorized Dealer vs. Cummins Shop. Go for the Cummins shop if possible. Although it probably didn't make much difference for us because in reality, neither one found the problem, just time savings because of the special tools involved running that checklist. Spartan was great on this. Offered to rent us a motorhome and not knowing if we had a toad, offered to rent us a vehicle. They will be reimbursing us for our expenses.

One final thought, this is not an Entegra problem for anyone that will want to think that. As always, Entegra has been and still is on top of this. This tank is probably a standard fuel tank used on scores of other brands. We were just unlucky that it was our coach. My intent in posting this was to follow the mission statement associated with this forum: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Hope this helps someone down the road, Brian
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2016, 05:56 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Brian and glad you have your coach back. May the RV Angels smile on you from now on!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:45 PM   #3
CVO

At the Tampa show an Entegra person told me of a new coach that came back to the factory that had a similar fuel issue. Always intermittent and baffling everyone involved. Also in that case, it was finally deciphered as an issue in the tank. After changing the tank a piece of plastic was found inside that would occasionally restrict the fuel pick up.

A simple avoidable problem that will wreak havok with the ownership experience, trouble shooting, and warranty costs.

Hopefully your story helps someone else. Enjoy your Entegra.
CVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:18 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Brian, what a story. I have also had unbelievable service from Spartan. It is a shame that the fuel tank was not checked before installation. I can really empathize with you. I hate to hear you had to go through all of that and hope that will be the last problem.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #5

Brian:

Readers of iRV2 will remember that I had an intermittent engine fault problem which boiled down to needing a very new control module that monitors the diesel particulate filter (muffler) that took 3 repair visits and a total of 4 weeks and many hundreds of miles driving back and forth to repair places. My problem was resolved only when we went through three different shops, 3 sets of local mechanics, the field supervisor, the regional service supervisor, the lowest of three Cummins engineering levels, and finally the middle Cummins engineering levels. The final level group was aware of an "issue" with control modules manufactured before May 5, 2015. It was resolved after 5-5-2015 module was installed. Although it would make sense to me that then all coaches with modules between January 10, 2015 and 5-5-2015 would have the same problem, apparently that was not true as only one other coach had the same problem mine had. This was in a 2 month old coach.

The point of my story is to reinforce your rcommendation. There is a big difference between a Cummins/Spartan certified shop and a Cummins CoachCare Shop. I used Cummins Coach Care for one of those shops. The difference is that at a CoachCare facility, they will usually let you stay in the coach at night, and they will have the coach connected to power at all times. Also, Cummins Coach Care facilities used to be privately owned, but now have all been taken over by corporate Cummins which means that the remote and central people all work for the same company. That is a big difference.

Now, when you have a problem, the old adage of "any port in a storm" is very true and a Cummins/Spartan certified shop is a lot better than an independent shop and the guys probably have the basic equipment but big differences in skill level and experience can be found.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw8602 View Post
"One final thought, this is not an Entegra problem for anyone that will want to think that. As always, Entegra has been and still is on top of this. This tank is probably a standard fuel tank used on scores of other brands...
Thanks for sharing the experience, Brian. Glad you're back at it. That much time would have been terribly frustrating to me!

FWIW, the tank is mounted in the chassis from Spartan before Entegra ever sees the coach, so this is a 100% Spartan problem. Cummins spec's the tank, and Spartan is supposed to provide a tank within spec. Not a knock on Spartan, I love them, I think they're great folks working hard to deliver a good product. Just putting it in perspective.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote