Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2015, 04:44 AM   #1

Spn 3031 fmi 2

Hoping for some advice;
If you have experienced this code SPN 3031 FMI 2 or Cummins code 1679 (Aftertreatment DEF Fluid Tank Temperature Data Erratic, Intermittent or Incorrect)

Did you experience any driveability issues? Cummins QuickServe says: Engine torque will be reduced if the engine is operated for an extended period of time with this fault active. What is an extended period of time? weeks, days or months??

What was the ultimate fix, was it a wiring issue or did you replace the entire DEF sensor/float assembly.

We will be at Hilton Head next week and I'm trying to decide if we should make the trip to Gaffney afterwards to have it looked at.
Thank you for any help .
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2015, 04:53 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I don't know precisely what "extended operation" means with respect to that code but when I was at the Spartan training class they mentioned 350 miles several times when it related to DEF codes that will derate the engine output. Maybe not the same for this code but I don't think "weeks or months" is the answer.

There was somebody here on the forum who had problems with either the wiring connection to the DEF sensors or a sensor itself that caused it to throw a code. I don't recall who.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:16 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Call Spartan with the codes and they will help you out. It was me that had the codes and it was just a pinched wire. Anything that says something like reduced performance / shutdown means you need to get it looked at soon.
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:26 AM   #4

Update

I forgot to mention that this code has cleared itself two times without any action on my part.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:46 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Take it to a Freightliner dealer and they should be able to chase down the issue. If most likely will not go away it's self.
By your signature your coach must be on a F/L.
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
Take it to a Freightliner dealer and they should be able to chase down the issue. If most likely will not go away it's self.
By your signature your coach must be on a F/L.
Good Catch Gasman...there were only...so I'm told 50 built on the F/L Chassis. I was hoping for someone who has experienced this issue to share how it was repaired. The F/L Dealer in Fort Myers does not have a good reputation for RV's. That's why I thought I would take it to Gaffney if I have to have it fixed.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:54 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDavid View Post
Good Catch Gasman...there were only...so I'm told 50 built on the F/L Chassis. I was hoping for someone who has experienced this issue to share how it was repaired. The F/L Dealer in Fort Myers does not have a good reputation for RV's. That's why I thought I would take it to Gaffney if I have to have it fixed.
If you are in Ft Myers, call Palm Truck Center on I-75 a MLK Blvd. They are a warranty approved shop for Spartan and maybe Freightliner as well. They have done good work for me in the past. They have some really sharp mechanics.

That long of a trip from FM could be a problem if it goes into limp mode.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #8

I had that code and it took 3 visits to Cummins to get it fixed. It will derate engine....happened to me twice once after 300 miles the second time less than 90.

In my case it wasn't the sensor it was the check valve that keeps the DEF from returning to tank. They replaced the temp sensor once to no avail but once they replaced the check valve it never came back.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #9

Thank you Chuck and Roger.
Do you think it is a Cummins problem or a F/L problem. I know F/L added a harness to the DEF tank. If it is a Cummins problem Power South here in Fort Myers is the best.
Chuck I called Palm Truck Center and he seemed not sure and would have to research it if it was a F/L problem. He did say they we not an F/L authorized service center.
Any ideas??
Old 10-13-2015, 10:11 PM   #10

I had the same issue on my Anthem with a Spartan Chassis. Cummins said it was a Spartan problem. Had sensor replaced at Spartan Factory. It was covered by 5 yr emissions warranty.

Bailey and Nancy
2011 Entegra Coach Anthem
2011 Jeep Wrangler
bfridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:13 PM   #11

I forgot to mention I drove it for two years with this code off and on. Mostly on

Bailey and Nancy
2011 Entegra Coach Anthem
2011 Jeep Wrangler
bfridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:37 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
The DEF system is Cummins. Swenster here on the forum has had DEF code repairs 3 times, all done by Cummins. One was at FM Power South, so they do know the DEF systems, the second was Ocala Cummins, then a DEF heater at Cummins in Billings MT where he had to wait 4 days for one to be shipped. Nice part, Cummins has a 5 year warranty and it can be fixed at home.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:44 AM   #13

We had a problem with high DEG temps. Would show the code and on occasions it would also the derate code. When the derate code came on I would stop and let the DEF cool so the code would go away. From my experience there is no need to worry about the code until you get a derate code. As others have mentioned you need a new DEF valve. Spartan covered mine.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:55 AM   #14

We had a problem with high DEG temps. Would show the code for high DEF temp and on occasions it would also show the derate code. When the derate code came on I would stop and let the DEF cool so the code would go away. From my experience there is no need to worry about the hi temp code until you get a derate code. As others have mentioned it sounds as if you need a new DEF valve. Spartan covered mine. Be sure that whoever replaces the valve installs the new valve correctly. Ours was installed with the water lines reversed... IN was installed on the Out side and Out was installed on the IN side. This created much frustration and anxiety. 3 trips to Cummins in Gainesville, GA and a week in B'ham, AL. Neither of these could find the problem. Made it to Cabin Diesel in Big Cabin, OK. Trace diagnosed the problem as soon as I told him what was going on. Highly recommend Cabin Diesel (Authorized Spartan, Freightliner, Cat, Cummins, & Detroit Diesel).