Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2022, 10:45 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
SPN 729 FM5,Help

I have the SPN 729 FM5 check engine code. I've had it for some time and now would like to fix it. Hoping you guys can help me out.I have read forum posts on this problem but am still vague on some areas. I'd like to attempt this myself thru the bathroom floor hatch.

Questions:
What are the correct part numbers for the Air Intake Solenoid/Relay and the Mega fuse & holder? Tried Spartan. They were not sure.

Do the 42 and 45 ft.coaches the same amount of view and work space thru bath hatch floor opening. I have a 42' 2016 Aspire. I understand the parts I need will be on the passenger side of the engine.I have looked but can't identify them. Could someone point them out with a picture and arrow?

If I replace the failing part, will the Code 729 reset it'self automatically?

I had the Code cleared at a shop and all was good. I then started the coach every few days for a couple of weeks and then got another 729 FM5 ck. engine light . The "wait to start" ckt seems to be working fine. Varies correctly according to outside and engine temps.

I am comfortable working on automotive problems. Those of you that have done this yourself, what do you think? Would you do it again? Any and all suggestions, diagnostic approaches, appreciated.
Thanks, Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2022, 02:57 PM   #2
Official iRV2 Sponsor

If you can post a picture of your area, my chassis guy will tell you what we need?
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:13 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
If you can post a picture of your area, my chassis guy will tell you what we need?
I'm not sure what you mean by my area? I'm in the Morgan Utah location.
Pat
FMCA 212171
Old 08-18-2022, 03:16 PM   #4
Official iRV2 Sponsor

"I understand the parts I need will be on the passenger side of the engine. I have looked but can't identify them. Could someone point them out with a picture and arrow?"

I am asking you to take a picture of your passenger side area of the coach in the engine area and we will identify what you are needing.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:14 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
"I understand the parts I need will be on the passenger side of the engine. I have looked but can't identify them. Could someone point them out with a picture and arrow?"

I am asking you to take a picture of your passenger side area of the coach in the engine area and we will identify what you are needing.
Thanks. I don't think I could get a camera in the area. Too cramped. I couldn't do as well as other posters have already done with pictures. I did find the relay. It was staring me in the face. I wish I could find the relays PN before removing it. I understand the circuit now, I'm good to go.
Pat
FMCA 212171
Old 08-19-2022, 02:57 AM   #6

You need to wait until all lights go out it's about 45 seconds. After turning key to 1st notch that left amber engine light will turn off that means start it. That's if it's cleared. It's easy to clear. I got info from Brobox on the nexas unit it does clear the error code. Again you need to wait until all lights are out on dash. After like 30 to 45 seconds it does on ours. I also learned to lay your foot on the brake pedal and listen for a series of clicks. They are obvious noises 4 to 6 from what I have usually heard.
Now Im not saying it's fixed however this is what I have done to keep it in check. Safe travels
Old 08-19-2022, 03:34 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I believe these are the correct part numbers. I gave you some alternative parts that should work as well. There is nothing specific that requires you to source exact OEM.

Grid heater relay - spartan 0185-GG3-030 or Trombetta 684-1221-012

Grid heater fuse - 250A - 219-gg3-025 Spartan or Buss AMG 250

Location - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/int...l9-524098.html
Old 08-19-2022, 09:11 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglee25 View Post
I believe these are the correct part numbers. I gave you some alternative parts that should work as well. There is nothing specific that requires you to source exact OEM.

Grid heater relay - spartan 0185-GG3-030 or Trombetta 684-1221-012

Grid heater fuse - 250A - 219-gg3-025 Spartan or Buss AMG 250

Location - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/int...l9-524098.html
Great, thanks much. I just verified Relay & Fuse #'s with Spartan parts and they match my vin#.
Again, Thanks
Pat
FMCA 212171
Old 08-19-2022, 09:41 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
[QUOTE=Poppedclams;6281280]You need to wait until all lights go out it's about 45 seconds. After turning key to 1st notch that left amber engine light will turn off that means start it. That's if it's cleared. It's easy to clear. I got info from Brobox on the nexas unit it does clear the error code. Again you need to wait until all lights are out on dash. After like 30 to 45 seconds it does on ours. I also learned to lay your foot on the brake pedal and listen for a series of clicks. They are obvious noises 4 to 6 from what I have usually heard.
Now Im not saying it's fixed however this is what I have done to keep it in check. Safe travels[/QUOTE
------------------]

Are you saying I can turn the amber CK. Engine light off myself? Even if it's not fixed? Or does this clear the code after I've fixed the problem. What is the "nexas unit"? Good info if I'm understanding it correctly. I'll try it this morning.
Thanks,Pat
FMCA 212171
Old 08-19-2022, 09:45 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Great, thanks much. I just verified Relay & Fuse #'s with Spartan parts and they match my vin#.
Again, Thanks
Pat
Excellent.

When I looked up the cost, the relay was pricey. The trombetta relay does the same thing and I believe it's even rated for a higher amperage. It may need a new drill pattern to bolt down, but nothing difficult.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:15 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
ABS Modulator pre-start check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppedclams View Post
I also learned to lay your foot on the brake pedal and listen for a series of clicks. They are obvious noises 4 to 6 from what I have usually heard.
, but since Poppedclams introduced it into this thread, I'll offer that Spartan recommends this prior to the first engine start of the day:

ABS Modulator Test. With coach off, apply and hold pressure to the brake pedal while turning the ignition to the on position. (Do Not Start the coach.) Continue to hold brake pedal down while listening for the ABS modulators to cycle and purge. If your coach has two axles, you will hear 4 modulators cycle and purge. If your coach has a 3rd tag axle you will hear 6 modulators cycle and purge. Once you hear 4 or 6 modulators purge, the test is complete and the ABS modulators are functioning properly.

This test takes approximately 10 to 15 seconds to complete.

Take care,
Stu
Old 08-19-2022, 11:25 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
, but since Poppedclams introduced it into this thread, I'll offer that Spartan recommends this prior to the first engine start of the day:

ABS Modulator Test. With coach off, apply and hold pressure to the brake pedal while turning the ignition to the on position. (Do Not Start the coach.) Continue to hold brake pedal down while listening for the ABS modulators to cycle and purge. If your coach has two axles, you will hear 4 modulators cycle and purge. If your coach has a 3rd tag axle you will hear 6 modulators cycle and purge. Once you hear 4 or 6 modulators purge, the test is complete and the ABS modulators are functioning properly.

This test takes approximately 10 to 15 seconds to complete.

Take care,
Stu
Good information we all should know. I hear the purges but had forgot what they meant
Thanks, Pat.
FMCA 212171
Old 08-20-2022, 12:00 AM   #13

The nexas code reader. I bought the one chuck recommended. It's very educational in a jam. So I was able to remove the spn code disgussed and have been able to keep it away by letting that amber light go away. It does take 30 seconds or more. But it does go away. Then fire up coach . It works for me
Old 08-21-2022, 05:30 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppedclams View Post
The nexas code reader. I bought the one chuck recommended. It's very educational in a jam. So I was able to remove the spn code disgussed and have been able to keep it away by letting that amber light go away. It does take 30 seconds or more. But it does go away. Then fire up coach . It works for me
Where can I get the Nexas code reader? What should I expect the cost to be.

Pat
FMCA 212171