Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2022, 05:58 PM   #15

Starlink's future is in doubt - Musk has said 5G telephony might render his system useless. Investigate this without making assumptions about the future viability of starlink.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2022, 06:10 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFTH View Post
Starlink's future is in doubt - Musk has said 5G telephony might render his system useless. Investigate this without making assumptions about the future viability of starlink.
Why would Musk invest millions in a venture he thinks will fail? 5G can only go where terrestrial infrastructure takes it, whereas Starlink can go anywhere on earth.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:12 PM   #17
Community Moderator

Quote:

There will ALWAYS be places on the planet with NO cell signal…. Cell towers have limited range….. 5G has even less range.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:55 AM   #18

Quote:
We purchased Starlink because cellular coverage is so poor in many areas where we camp. Whether it's Mt. Rushmore's KOA (2nd largest in country); Peninsula SP in Door County, WI; or countless other places, we've run into so many problems . My wife and I run a small consulting/software business and need to have connectivity virtually all the time... hence the WeBoost for cellular (which didn't do much for data hotspots BTW) and Starlink for Internet.

Fingers crossed that we don't have to bail on another campground and create last-minute rescheduling nightmares.
nmorgan997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:08 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
There are many professional publication statements on Google that do not agree with this. Here is a quoted post from Elon Musk in May 22.
Elon has said from the beginning that "Starlink is going to be a commercial revenue generator for SpaceX, that it's going to be such a widespread success that it's going to fund additional rocket launches."May 2, 2022

I have been doing a lot of research lately on 5G and wifi. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/t-m...er-583685.html It is not possible for Satellite to ever be useless against 5G. Some rural areas are still not on 4 LTE. 5G home wifi is not available at my house in a major area of SWFL, but Starlink is.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:43 AM   #20

I, like virtually every other motorcoach owner, am very interested in alternatives to cellular based technology, although as much as I use and depend on the internet, it is NOT the source of my income and livelihood, so it is not absolutely mission critical for me 24/7 like it is for some others. BUT I am really interested in this new development and am eager for those of you who are early adopters to keep posting with your experience and your knowledge about this potentially powerful tool.

I'll read every word with great interest. Please make frequent posts about progress and issues, and educate the rest of us on the state-of-the-art.

LTE and 5G has worked remarkably well for me even fairly far off the beaten path traveling 6 months a year but I will adopt whatever works and is most dependable.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:54 AM   #21

I’ve used my SL several times this trip from our place in Northern Florida and currently in Northern Mi and had to move it to different locations throughout our trip thus far to overcome obstructions. Join the Starlink Facebook group and you will see dozens of alternative mounts. I have a flag pole I mount the antenna onto or I just sit it on the ground with the provided mount. The Router in the basement works great so I don’t plan on installing it permanently inside the coach.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:03 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Here is some details on what is the issue -

Dish's plan to use 12GHz radio spectrum for its 5G network could drastically affect the Starlink satellite internet network.

Dish has asked the FCC to allow it to use the 12Ghz band for a terrestrial 5G network, despite potential satellite interference with Starlink and other services, including its own Dish Network.

Dish and others have been trying to through a wrench into starlink any chance they can. They are all trying to get as much spectrum as they can.

https://www.engadget.com/spacex-clai...094558391.html
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:52 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
I setup my Starlink in the bay and used the plug in next to the water pump, provides coverage throughout my coach. Easy to store and setup antenna. Would like find out if anyone has figured out permanent mounting solution.

Doug Chambers
2015 Conerstone B45
Adougster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:19 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
Here is some details on what is the issue -

Dish's plan to use 12GHz radio spectrum for its 5G network could drastically affect the Starlink satellite internet network.

Dish has asked the FCC to allow it to use the 12Ghz band for a terrestrial 5G network, despite potential satellite interference with Starlink and other services, including its own Dish Network.

Dish and others have been trying to through a wrench into starlink any chance they can. They are all trying to get as much spectrum as they can.

https://www.engadget.com/spacex-clai...094558391.html

Starlink's complaint to the FCC. If Dish’s lobbying efforts succeed, our study shows that Starlink customers will experience harmful interference more than 77 percent of the time and total outage of service 74 percent of the time, rendering Starlink unusable for most Americans," wrote SpaceX senior director David Goldman.

Looks like Starlink was there first and will probable be able to keep it for their paying customers. This could go on for years as similar situation have before.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adougster View Post
I setup my Starlink in the bay and used the plug in next to the water pump, provides coverage throughout my coach. Easy to store and setup antenna. Would like find out if anyone has figured out permanent mounting solution.

Doug Chambers
2015 Conerstone B45

Here is a promising initial take on a permanent mounting option. Problem is that I am hearing when putting the dishy into 'stow' mode it does not orient itself to the same location each time but simply just folds down. If that is the case with dishy 2 then this mount would not be useful. According to the manufacturer place it behind an AC to provide wind deflection. But he is still in prototype phase and is slated to test the stow mode to see if it orients itself to the same place each time for proper function of the lift.

STARLINK MOUNT
jeff.herren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
There will ALWAYS be places on the planet with NO cell signal…. Cell towers have limited range….. 5G has even less range.
If you don't believe this drive across New Mexico!
dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:09 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
For those of you using Starlink - are you able to pause the service if you are not traveling? We have fiber service at our S&B so would only use Starlink when traveling (or perhaps as a backup if a bad storm should take out the fiber…although I’m hoping we would have left town before that severe a storm hit).
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:44 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
For those of you using Starlink - are you able to pause the service if you are not traveling?
From the Starlink RV FAQ -

How does Pause service work with Starlink for RVs?

Starlink for RVs can be paused or un-paused at any time on your account page. You are able to schedule which billing cycle to begin your pause.

Starlink for RVs is charged in full monthly increments and cannot be pro-rated.

If you pause your service before the end of your current billing period, you will still receive service for the remainder of your billing period. When you un-pause your service, service will begin again immediately and you will be invoiced for the upcoming month of service 7 days after activation.

Please note, if you wish to not be billed for the first months subscription you will have 7 days from your Starlink's ship date to initiate a pause. If a pause is initiated after the billing statement has generated on your account, your Starlink subscription will be scheduled to pause the following month.

How does billing work with Starlink for RVs?

After placing a Starlink for RVs order, you will be charged a one-time hardware fee and a monthly subscription fee at the beginning of your billing cycle (14 days after shipping). The monthly subscription fee will be ongoing unless you pause your service. Your service can be reactivated at any time.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote