Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2022, 09:17 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Starlink

How to get Starlink cable into coach? Anyone come up with a good solution to get cable into the coach?
Mwood130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2022, 09:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thru the electric bay or water bay, using same path hose or shore cord use. From there find a path into bays.

Keeping the starlink router in bay is probably easiest solution, and wifi signal should be strong enough to reach inside coach.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:57 PM   #3

I don't have starlink (yet) but I do have a weboost cell booster that is connected by a coax from outside to in....I installed a boat drain plug in the bay that was the best place for my setup. My inside coax is located behind the couch and follows the slide wiring down into the basement then over to the drain plug. This coax is about 4' longer then needed so as to drop out of the drain hole and connect with the outside coax. When traveling I separate the two cables....one stays with the outside antenna and the other gets pulled back into the bay where it stows under the slide tray until needed.
This makes as clean a setup as I've seen and it works for me!

John
2015 44b
jmorse1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:12 AM   #4

Huge thread here: (like 63 pages right now)

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/star...512812-63.html

It has several links of folks making ETH punch downs and what the cable pinout need to be to support StarLink.

We are in Sugarloaf Key and there are two StarLinks here and the Anthem has it sitting on the ground with the cable running down to one of the bays.
jeff.herren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:46 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
I haven't gone with StarLink yet. Still waiting to see if they can come up with a permanent mounted setup. Having said that, why couldn't you just install a RV coax inlet like this one?
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-T...5401495&sr=8-6
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
I haven't gone with StarLink yet. Still waiting to see if they can come up with a permanent mounted setup. Having said that, why couldn't you just install a RV coax inlet like this one?
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-T...5401495&sr=8-6
Because it uses a proprietary plug for PPOE that looks like a cross between HDMI and USB-C. It is not "cable".
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:10 AM   #7

Link to someone that spliced the POE Cat6 cable of starlink. In the installation section.

https://www.tuckstruck.net/truck-and...link-in-an-rv/

Cable pin out diagram of that ETH cable. Basically its a POE Cable with a pair crossed, which is non standard. You should be able to punch one down pretty easily.

jeff.herren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:44 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used the McCown POE adapter so that I was able to just use a standard 568B wiring shceme.

Cut the starlink cord, and installed a shielded Cat6 keystone, and then ran a normal cat6 patch cord inside to the poe adapter.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:21 AM   #9

In my Class A DP I first would run the coax cable to my sat dish thru the slide gasket. Eventually I ran the cable thru one of the cable runs from below. In my Airstream, I'm running the uncut Starlink cable thru the battery hole behind the battery box up front up to the front cabinet.

As others have mentioned, you can cut a starlink cable and terminate it with ethernet connectors if you want a really clean install. For now, I'm waiting to see how useful Starlink will be for me. If you read enough reviews, it seems like Starlink is the only solution if you are way off the grid and have no cellular connectivity. If you camp near urban areas with good cell coverage using your phone or hotspot with a prepaid plan may be preferable. If you camp in wooded areas (like most of the Florida State parks we like), getting any sort of Starlink coverage may be impossible.

I think this video Keep Your Daydream just published sums it up pretty well.

https://youtu.be/M7UE6zyacuc
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:24 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I left the router in the bay just in front of the passenger side rear wheels. Convenient because there is a 110V outlet there.

The Starlink router provides a strong enough signal for anything inside the coach. It only has about a 60% signal strength when I try to hook up to the Winegard router. That will be my next challenge.
pstroke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:38 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwood130 View Post
How to get Starlink cable into coach? Anyone come up with a good solution to get cable into the coach?
If you have the Winegard WiFi Extender installed - there should be a power unit and ethernet cable in the basement that runs to the router in the RV. I've been able to use it to connect my starlink to the Pepwave Surf SOHO Router.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:45 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I actually ran mine through the roof and dropped the wire in a cabinet located in the middle of the coach. Works perfect
Old 06-28-2022, 04:31 PM   #13

Since I use my SL at home and remove it when on the road, I just run the cable into the bay just in front of the PS rear dual, plug in the router and enjoy. Super strong signal inside the coach with the router in the bay.
Old 06-28-2022, 04:36 PM   #14

Just received the Starlink kit but have yet to install/use it.

I run the WeBoost cable through the slide-out when we do set it up. It works pretty well, and I've installed the interior cable under the base plate for our full-side-of-RV slide-out and up into a cabinet with the booster.

Starlink's proprietary cable is a bit more of a challenge since it's a single run from the antenna to the modem. Because we like some shade on our sites, we're going to have to maneuver the antenna on each site to get the best view of the sky. I can't see a good way of installing it with any permanency.

Looking forward to seeing what others come up with.
nmorgan997 is offline   Reply With Quote