Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2022, 12:49 AM   #1

Starlink

Has anyone give any thought to obtaining starlink for Internet service. If so how do you like it and mounting procedure.
Poppedclams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2022, 03:49 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Just enter starlink in the search function, you will see there is allot threads on this subject. As far as service my neighbors have it and love it. The only issue they have complained about is that it does have rain fade just like any satellite link does.
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:51 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I decided to take the Starlink route. I’m not full time but DW and I enjoy Internet service and some streaming. The price is high, but the RV setup allows you to stop service. I put Dishy on the roof using my ladder and I put the router in the electric cabinet. I hook it up via Ethernet cable to my WiFi Ranger system.

The single biggest issue is trees…..if you have a site that has open sky to the North it works great. If you camp around trees it does not.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:54 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We love it and our friends who are out with us now love it too

Mine is mounted on the back and when I get back to Quartzsite in October I am going to put it on an actuator

[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1877.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	617.7 KB
ID:	373458  
Old 08-12-2022, 04:25 PM   #5

Starlink

I am watching Starlink because I think there is a lot of up side.
However, as they develop data plan tiers, my opinion may change.
Our neighbors have it on their DSDP and love it.
Glad I had a chance to see the set up and what is needed.
Like the photo above, it appears you need to place it up there for best reception and reduced theft. The Girard awnings hide it nicely but my classic, it would be exposed to high winds. Temporary anchoring would be doable I guess.
Time will tell.

I am ready for some brisket on that cooker…[emoji3]
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:33 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have been using it for two months and at times has been our only access to the Internet because cell service does not work. It works great when it is clear to the north. It does take time to setup so not a good option for short stops such as rest areas. If you only travel and camp where cell service is available or if you always camp under trees it is not worth the cost and effort. There are two service options to consider. Residential with portability allows you to take it to different places, RV option allows movement and ability to suspend service when not needed, but gives lower priority when network is congested. This morning I had download speed over 150 Mbps but last night during peak hours it was less than 40 Mbps and I had a short interruption during heavy rain.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:41 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Who is Starlink east of the Missippissi in campsites with shade trees?
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:48 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
Who is Starlink east of the Missippissi in campsites with shade trees?
Starlink and shade trees is a bad combination anywhere.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:30 PM   #9

Please explain if you get some time. Because I'm wondering about things exactly like that tree issues etc. Also mounting on anthem 42 ft have not known anyone with anthem with starlink set up. TIA.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:20 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I’ve been watching it but it seems like too much setup for mobile applications. We just move too often to go through that each time. My understanding is that they are working on a mount but I doubt it has very high priority. Until they have something similar to the our Trav’ler dish, I’ll probably pass.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:38 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppedclams View Post
Please explain if you get some time. Because I'm wondering about things exactly like that tree issues etc. Also mounting on anthem 42 ft have not known anyone with anthem with starlink set up. TIA.
Most RV satellite receivers use DirecTV or Dish Network, both of which use a high altitude satellite in stationary orbit. This type of satellite is “parked” in one spot in the sky, so you can be 90% surrounded by trees but if there is a “hole” in the foliage where the satellite is located, your dish can be pointed at the satellite and get a good signal.

By contrast, Starlink uses literally thousands of low orbit satellites that are constantly moving across the sky and never in one place. The dish electronically follows these satellites across the sky and switches between satellites as needed to maintain a signal. Because these satellites are literally all over the sky, Starlink needs a broad area of “treelessness” in order to function without interruption.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 06:07 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Starlink

We have Starlink on our Anthem and boondock in off the wall places sometimes completely surrounded by trees. As long as you are not directly under the trees and stay about 100 feet away from the surrounding trees Starlink will work just fine with no interruptions.

Here is a picture that show Starlink a decent distance around trees but not surrounded by trees.

The middle coach with the trailer is an Anthem and he mounted his Starlink just behind the front cap. He is facing the trees in fact he had trees within 50 feet of the coach. Starlink worked like a champ for the 2 weeks he stayed here.

The coach on the right is my coach and Starlink is mounted on the rear of the coach behind the roof light bar. No issues with Starlink. Before we moved to this spot we were up in the trees with no issues.

[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1934.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	701.3 KB
ID:	373575  
Old 08-14-2022, 06:43 AM   #13

So, when I go to Starlink's website, I see that it's not available until 2023. My question is this.....does that mean that service is not available until 2023, or does it mean that the equipment will not be available until 2023?....you know, like backordered! We live just south of Knoxville, TN....so is service available there right now or sometime in 2023?

Thanks in advance
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 07:09 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
The way you get Starlink in an area that shows not available is to find a small town and pick and address. See if it is available there. If so sign up using that address and the ship to will be your address where you get packages. Your Starlink will still work in the area showing not available