Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #1

States To Register RV

I have been away from this for a while. Are there any states other than Montana that you can register a MH with no sales tax or reasonable tax? I am aware Montana really hiked the rates in the last few years.

I am not looking to start a debate on why or why not to pay tax. The state where the RV will be stored won't register it as I am not a resident. The state I am a resident won't register it unless it is there, which it won't be. So I am stuck finding a state like Montana that wants to register it.

Thanx
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2019, 01:21 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Fl is one state that will allow you to register with just an address. https://www.sbimailservice.com/ provides that type of service. A one time sales tax in FL is 6% annual plates about $58. thereafter
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #3

If its been registered in another state for at least 6 months there will be no sales tax. Only a transfer fee plus tag fee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Fl is one state that will allow you to register with just an address. https://www.sbimailservice.com/ provides that type of service. A one time sales tax in FL is 6% annual plates about $58. thereafter
Old 08-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #4

So Dakota also allows a mail forwarding address for registration. They don’t call it sales tax but you do pay a 4% excise tax on the purchase amount less the trade in value. If you have it already registered in your name in another State and you are not purchasing it, just moving to So Dakota there is no tax. There are many mail forwarding companies in SD. Escapees has one, also America’s Mail Box, both located in Box Elder a suburb of Rapid City. Many more in Souix Falls too.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
If you have it already registered in your name in another State and you are not purchasing it, just moving to So Dakota there is no tax.
Better check that. They told me if I had not already paid 4% sales tax elsewhere, I had to pay it in SD.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:52 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Steve is correct about Fl sales tax if you have owned it for more than 6 months.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:33 AM   #7

Montana's registration fee did go up from approximately $200 annually to approximately $1200 annually. However in the past 10 years or so, that was the first major change in their fees. The fee drops as the coach ages, but not appreciably.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:53 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Steve is correct about Fl sales tax if you have owned it for more than 6 months.
I can confirm that as well.

Also, I believe you would still need a "presence" in MT to register there. There are several law firms that would be happy to set you up with an LLC for a fee and get you a registration in the LLC name. But check with them about the rules for your domicile state and/or storage state in regard to bringing your MT registered coach there legally. For example a FL resident can't technically bring a coach they registered with out of state tags into FL for the first six months without paying the FL sales tax. Also note besides the initial and annual attorney fees, there are the higher state fees Gary mentioned.

If you want to change registration from MT in the future, be careful as some states or counties may still want to charge you their sales tax if you don't dissolve the LLC. There is a fee to do the dissolution.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I'm not aware of any states other than MT that let you avoid sales tax although I think there was one out east that did...maybe NH? With the higher registration fees and the attorney fees for creating the LLC in MT, you may need to weigh the advantages. There's also the issue with getting insurance. Insurance for a MT registered coach can be pricey. A low tax state like SD might be less expensive in the long run. We've seen folks who have chosen to register in SD, TX and FL but I never got into a conversation about why they picked those states - it could have been something as simple as family in the area. Many moons ago there was a thread that discussed advantages/disadvantages of various states but I think that was primarily about MT. I couldn't locate it but I don't have Chuck's search skills. Lousy position to be in - good luck.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm going to follow this thread for a bit as I'm looking into alternatives also. I paid over 12k in sales tax and yearly property tax was around 8K this year in VA. I was okay with the sales tax as your going to pay the money somehow wherever you go directly or indirectly. (higher insurance, registration etc.) The property tax is what I'm unhappy about.
2019 Club Car Onward
Hurleys RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #11

Montana has also added another layer of tax on "luxury" vehicles of $800 per year for vehicles with an MSRP of more than $300,000. That tax continues for ten years. That may enter into your calculation of the value of the Montana LLC along with the other issues that can occur with the Montana LLC.

I'm curious as to which state will not allow you to register in their state without the rig being there. I've never seen any state turn down any taxes or fees.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurleys RV View Post
I'm going to follow this thread for a bit as I'm looking into alternatives also. I paid over 12k in sales tax and yearly property tax was around 8K this year in VA. I was okay with the sales tax as your going to pay the money somehow wherever you go directly or indirectly. (higher insurance, registration etc.) The property tax is what I'm unhappy about.

There have been a number of threads on the Virginia Personal Property Tax. I believe that the tax is done on a county by county basis and you can avoid it by garaging the RV in a different county. You might want to do a search on the Virginia Personal Property Tax.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #13

Do FL, MT or SD require the vehicle to be present for a VIN inspection, prior to registration?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #14

You can download and print out a VIN# validation form from Florida DMV.

You fill it out and find a police officer to sign off that they match. A dealer can also validate it on there letterhead.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote