RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #1

Steering Stabilizer Systems

I was curious if anyone has installed a steering stabilizer system and if so which one and how you feel about it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I put a stabilizer on my '08 Tour, because it really needed it. I used the Blue Ox product, don't remember the name. It worked good, much easier to drive. But you don't need it on the Anthem with the independent front suspension system. The Tour had the I beam front end.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I had Blue-Ox Tru-steer on my straight-axle Beaver. It worked well when it worked, but I had two Tru-Steer units and each one failed after 3 years or so on the coach. The first one was replaced under warranty, the second one Blue-Ox said was unrepairable and they would not warranty it but offered a discount on a new one. I would probably have gotten a replacement if I still had the old coach, but the Anthem drives so well, I don't think I'll do it.

The best part of the Tru-Steer is the centering feature. By pushing a button, you can adjust away any steady side pull such as is caused by road crown, or a steady crosswind. Once you press the button, the coach steers straight as an arrow. The downside of this is that there is a heavy (hydraulic?) spring that makes this happen, and as a side effect is that your steering becomes significantly harder. It feels like some of your power steering's power has been taken away. Of course that is not the case, but the power steering now has to overcome normal forces plus the forces of the Tru-Steer, so steering is not as light as before.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #4

I agree the Anthem drives great. I had a front right steering tire blow out on a previous RV and we ended up in a ditch. An experience I hope no one has to experience. Spooky to say the least. I watch age of tires and tire pressures very close, but was thinking a stabilizer system may help if this was ever to occur again.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Funny you mention that because it was one reason I bought the Tru-Steer. After the Tru-Steer failed (it literally fell apart and was dragging on the ground in two pieces), I sent it back to Blue-Ox for repair. Blu-Ox said they were coming up with an improved model and that it'd be several months before I got a replacement (turned out to be about a year). While I was waiting for a replacement and driving without the Tru-Steer, I had a front tire blowout. I was able to wrestle the coach to a stop and keep it under control, so it can be done without a steering stabilizer.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have used the Safe-T-Plus unit for over 25 years NO problems. I have added the Henderson's steer safe control with a push toggle switch works as advertized. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
I have used the Safe-T-Plus unit for over 25 years NO problems. I have added the Henderson's steer safe control with a push toggle switch works as advertized. deSanford
X 2 for the Safe T Plus with Henderson Trim Unit. I have also owned a Blue Ox Tru Center and was not nearly as happy with it.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Safe Steer here. installed for just over a year. An improvement in steering control, but installed primarily for safety aspects.

How Does It Work? | SteerSafe.com
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just ordered the Roadmaster Refelx Steering Stabilizer and I'll let you know how it works after I get it installed. Everything I've read says they all make a big difference on how your coach handles. I think they are all good, but price was a factor for me.
bprohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
X 2 for the Safe T Plus with Henderson Trim Unit. I have also owned a Blue Ox Tru Center and was not nearly as happy with it.
Why do you like the Safe T Plus more than Tris-Steer?
Old 02-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #11
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
A friend of mine bought a motor home in AZ so we flew in to pick it up on the way home driving on interstate you could not drive it it was all over the road a bad case of memory steer. So we stoped at Home depo bought some tools and removed the springs on the steering stabilizer. Wow what a difference it drove 10 x better but had some memory steer. So we made another stop and bought a air guage and took 7 psi out of the front and 10 out of rear and now we can drive it with out white knuckles it is a joy to drive you can drive with one hand with no fear.
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprohs View Post
I just ordered the Roadmaster Refelx Steering Stabilizer and I'll let you know how it works after I get it installed. Everything I've read says they all make a big difference on how your coach handles. I think they are all good, but price was a factor for me.
I have the Roadmaster on my 1997 Endeavor. The change was not dramatic but it is noticeable. I have less (but not totally gone) wander and the push/suck when a truck passes me on the interstate is gone. I would do it again. Installation is simple providing you have large wrenches.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #13

I have the blue ox tru center. I like it because it is adjustable while you are driving. It really reduces the tension of driving the rig. It takes a few adjustments but it makes the rig steer more like a car than a truck. You can take the crown out of the road and the wind out of play. If I was close enough to Henderson's I would have had their adjustable unit installed. They have a great reputation.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Chad! I installed a SteerSafe stabilizer on the Windsor last year. I did not need it for any problems in driving, but wanted it to maintain control in case of a blowout on the front tires. I did the install myself.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote