RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2020, 06:21 AM   #1
aza

Steering wheels overheating

I have a 2019 Entegra Anthem purchased new. Immediately after delivery I experienced extremely hot steering wheels hubs during warm weather travel. I took the coach to Spartin and after thorough inspection they assured me that everything was normal. I weighed the coach and my travel front weight is 15,500 pounds (below the 17,000 max). Last week traveling in 90 degree weather both steering wheels became extremely hot and the passenger side wheel hub started smoking which halted our travel fearing a fire or blow out.

I am communicating with Entegra and Spartin regarding my issue and so far without resolution. Can someone offer a suggestion? Is this a common issue with the Anthem? Is this a design flaw which prompted Entegra to increase the max weight for the steering (front axel) to 19000?

aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2020, 06:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aza View Post
I have a 2019 Entegra Anthem purchased new. Immediately after delivery I experienced extremely hot steering wheels hubs during warm weather travel. I took the coach to Spartin and after thorough inspection they assured me that everything was normal. I weighed the coach and my travel front weight is 15,500 pounds (below the 17,000 max). Last week traveling in 90 degree weather both steering wheels became extremely hot and the passenger side wheel hub started smoking which halted our travel fearing a fire or blow out.

I am communicating with Entegra and Spartin regarding my issue and so far without resolution. Can someone offer a suggestion? Is this a common issue with the Anthem? Is this a design flaw which prompted Entegra to increase the max weight for the steering (front axel) to 19000?
This is not normal. If you have an instant temp sensor, take a reading or two. Smoke coming from the hubs is not normal. I have an Anthem and never seen anything smoking from the hub. I have seen hubs smoking on previously owned coaches when the wheel bearing is about to go out.

Keep us posted please.

Tor
2017 Anthem 44B

737 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:04 AM   #3

Heavy brake use can bring up temps.

It seems your from FL. Are you traveling is the mountains ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:06 AM   #4

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Not dragging brakes?
Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Not dragging brakes?
I had dragging brakes, not on an Entregra, but my older Foretravel. Wife said she smelt wires burning. I pulled over on side of road and walked around coach. When I got to the back I could see smoke. Checked it out and hub was hot and smoking. Turned out putting in new slide pins on the disc brake, and repair shop had put regular grease on the brake grease fitting instead of the special clay base grease solved the problem.
Turbojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:47 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
As for the weight issue. I had a 14 with the 17,000 lb front axel. I was loaded to 16,560 lbs. In 34,000 miles never had a heat issue with the steer axel. Mine was checked at least once a day in rest areas with a heat gun.
I would first look at the wheel hubs, I had a lot of problems with hub seals leaking, but never ran out of fluid to where they overheated.

If the passenger side started smoking, and the brakes were not being used, it needs an inspection. I hope you took a picture of the smoking wheel for Entegra and Spartan. Any issues like that, you'll want a photo record in your file at Entegra for warranty.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:57 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Is the two stage engine brake turned off? I have seen a coach (not mine) that had extremely overheated wheels after a lot of downhill brake use and engine brake turned off.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:21 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
aza

Sorry about your problem.

Not knowing your DP but will offer the following:
If you have wet hubs you definitely need to have the oil checked. If its okay the brakes need to be inspected. Overheated hubs will destroy the oil viscosity when it starts smoking.

Just had smoking hubs on a used car I bought to use as a toad. Since it was the rear it turned out the be the emergency brake. Repaired but kept hearing intermittent grinding (when limited outside noise) - turned out to be a missing spring on my driver's side front brake.

Hope your get it identified and fixed quickly.

Drive safe - Richard
Old 07-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #9
aza

Not in mountains. Driving across Illinois on flat ground, noticed a strong burning smell inside the coach and unusually hight tire pressures and pulled over to check.
aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:57 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aza View Post
Not in mountains. Driving across Illinois on flat ground, noticed a strong burning smell inside the coach and unusually hight tire pressures and pulled over to check.

A little more detail from your original post. When was the last time it was inspected? You mentioned last week,

Last week traveling in 90 degree weather both steering wheels became extremely hot and the passenger side wheel hub started smoking

Has it been inspected since it started smoking? Seems if it was hot enough to smoke the reason should be evident. If is was the fluid, it would smell burnt. Have you removed the hub cover to look and smell?
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:45 AM   #11

If you can get the front wheels off the ground, you can see how hard they rotate.

Could have dragging calipers.

Try rotating them right after lifting them and then step on the brake, let off, and see if they drag. Could be a sticky relay valve. Relay valves relieses the air pressure when you let up the brake pedal.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:03 PM   #12

I'll agree with twinboat, first thing I would think of would be dragging calipers. There are various reasons why they would drag.
I would get an infrared heat gun, then you can see which item is the hottest, caliper, rotor or hub. That will narrow it down and give you a place to start.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Hopefully there is oil in the front hubs - if new and right off the bat has been running hot, I would sure check that first.

Many chassis left the factory with zero grease on any of the zerks. I hate to think a chassis would be put into service without any oil in the front end.
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:48 PM   #14

The disturbing part of this is that the OP took it back to Spartin to have it checked out and they said everything was normal.

Tags
heat, heating, overheating, steering