Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2023, 03:26 PM   #1
JJT

Entegra Owners Club
Steps won’t retract when ignition is on

Had an issue with my steps not retracting when starting the coach. Found out the hard way when they caught the shop door and bent them beyond repair. Have just replaced the stairs with a new unit which included motor, gearbox, and stair controller. They still won’t retract when turning on the coach. I know the yellow wire coming out of the controller is for ignition source.
Is there a fuse/breaker somewhere for that yellow wire ignition source.
Thanks
JJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2023, 06:36 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jim, Sorry about your step problems and accident.

I don’t know anything about how the steps are wired.

We do look at the passenger mirror at an angle to make sure the steps are up. My 17 had an occasional problem not bringing the steps up when it was cold out. I drove with them out once and since then it is part of my pre drive check to validate the steps came in.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 06:46 PM   #3
JJT

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks. I’m thinking it my be the same solenoid that signals a false alarm on the parking brake, as I had that happen the same day. I looked for fuses and relays but haven’t checked the solenoid yet
Old 03-26-2023, 07:21 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Magnetic reed switch in door frame is a good bet

Had a friend with this issue but it was intermittent. It could be other things, but the reed switch sticking is a common cause.

The kwikee steps want to be retracted all the time, so your symptom eliminates a bad ground. They are held open by positive voltage on the wire that feeds thru the reed switch (don't remember which color off hand). If the reed switch sticks closed, the steps won't retract.

On my friends Anthem a light tap on the switch would temporarily fix the issue. We ended up replacing the switch.

The switch is located on the left side of the door frame near the bottom, it looks like a black plastic cap. The magnet is in the door edge.

The switch and wiring for it are accessed from the wheel well.

I think I have a photo somewhere and will post it here if I can find it.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:31 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Here's the wiring diagram, white wires for the mag reed switch, brown at the controller. And sorry not pos voltage, the reed switch connects to ground. When the brown wire at the controller is grounded the steps remain out.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15o...a2lmEzHxJr9Lng
Old 03-26-2023, 07:44 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Yes solenoid could be cause too if other ignition related stuff isn't working. Kwikee module senses ignition B+. Move one lug on solenoid to the other side to bypass it for testing.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:00 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Good Morning,
I had the same issue (without damage, Thank God) and it was the solenoid in the outside compartment under the driver's seat. I think it is a 180 or 200 amp and is made by Cole Hersee.
While the coach is running and the steps are out take the handle of a screwdriver and give the solenoid a "love Tap" If the steps retract then the solenoid should be the issue. But I am sure that the way VoltDoc is telling you to check is a far better way then mine! If it is the solenoid I got mine at NAPA.
Oldguy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:05 AM   #8

While likely not the same as the issue you’re having, I’ve found the Kwikee steps really require the occasional lubrication to keep from getting wonky. Either they won’t work, or pulse when retracting and then stop.
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:15 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy2013 View Post
Good Morning,
I had the same issue (without damage, Thank God) and it was the solenoid in the outside compartment under the driver's seat. I think it is a 180 or 200 amp and is made by Cole Hersee.
While the coach is running and the steps are out take the handle of a screwdriver and give the solenoid a "love Tap" If the steps retract then the solenoid should be the issue. But I am sure that the way VoltDoc is telling you to check is a far better way then mine! If it is the solenoid I got mine at NAPA.
Love tap worth a try!
Old 03-26-2023, 08:58 AM   #10
Community Moderator

If they do not retract try this: https://www.rvzone.com/manually-retr...%20manually%20
Old 03-26-2023, 11:05 AM   #11
JJT

Entegra Owners Club
Well this morning I found an ignition source breaker in the main fuse compartment under the drivers seat. Pulled it and it tested fine. Put it back in, started the coach, and the stairs worked as they should. Not sure that was the problem, as the main solenoid could have functioned properly. Going to replace the solenoid and also get a spare breaker just in case.
Bottom line, I’ll be checking the stair deployment every time I move the coach.
Thanks to all for the replies
Jim
Old 03-26-2023, 02:37 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hopefully you don’t have this issue again. Generally when something starts working for me just because I messed with it or reset it then the darn problem comes back eventually.

A good idea to check those steps before you move. My coach will tell you if you put it in gear with the power cord hooked up but no alarm or warning for the steps stuck and being out.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ignition, steps