Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2021, 02:56 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
My guess is it’s not the water but the grey tank. Put water in a container and see if the container of water smells.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2021, 03:59 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Man49 View Post
There is a section in your owners manual on sanitizing your water system. It covers the ratios of bleach and also bypassing of the aqua hot system. We are full timers and do ours every six months.
Just reread my manual section on sanitizing my fresh water tank. No mention of bypassing my Aquahot. How do you bypass it?
I also sanitize my fresh water tank once a year. Thanks.
Nildecaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 04:12 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
1/4 cup bleach for every 15 gallons of system contents. Run through entire system with filters removed, let sit a min of 4 hours then rinse. Might need to rinse with baking soda in water to get rid of bleach taste/smell.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 04:41 PM   #18

Sounds like you picked up sulphur bacteria there. That stuff is hard to get rid of, it creates a slime on surfaces which keeps, in particular, the weak chlorine sanitizing solutions we typically use from penetrating. Thetford sells a two part system, first bottle is detergent, second is sanitizer. Full bottles are the right size for an Entegra. Since you have an issue, the detergent should be left longer than standard, to dissolve the slime. After letting sit in your your very full tank, run the whole tank out through the lines gradually. Then the sanitizer. That sanitizer is a very quick contact type, might be safest to run standard chlorine, then their sanitizer. Also, do not bypass the aquahot, it is a primary source of bacteria growth, and none of this harms the copper coils in it, as documented by aquahot in the previously referenced bulletins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
A variant -- Smell

Somewhere up in New England two years ago, we managed to take on some Sulphur water (I assume it was Sulphur water) and ever since, I have had a problem with water smell. This is worst for the first 30 seconds, lets say, when running water from any source (sink, toilet, shower). After about 30 seconds the smell goes away, but a day later it is back.

I have Chloroxed the tank twice, letting water sit in lines and tank now two times (also isolating the AquaHot) but the same problem persists....

Anyone found a sure fire way to get rid of this problem....? I think its pretty common for well water to have a sulphur smell in some areas with Sulphur water which is unavoidable some times, or you don't realize it until you have just filled your tank.

Any sure fire fixes?

Gary
drwaynesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aza View Post
I have a 2019 Entegra Anthem. Recently I learned that I should include a small amount of Clorox in my fresh water tank when filling. Can someone tell me how much I need to ad to a full tank of fresh water?

I quit using bleach when I discovered this...

http://www.starbrite.com/category/wa...ment-freshener
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:37 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nildecaf View Post
Just reread my manual section on sanitizing my fresh water tank. No mention of bypassing my Aquahot. How do you bypass it?
I also sanitize my fresh water tank once a year. Thanks.

The plumbing in the Entegra has 3 bypass valves before the Aquahot. The plumbing looks like a “H”. Closing and opening valves bypasses the AquaHot. My suggestion for you would be to call Tiffin Customer Service and ask them how they plumbed the RV to bypass the Aquahot.
B-Man49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:54 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Man49 View Post
The plumbing in the Entegra has 3 bypass valves before the Aquahot. The plumbing looks like a “H”. Closing and opening valves bypasses the AquaHot. My suggestion for you would be to call Tiffin Customer Service and ask them how they plumbed the RV to bypass the Aquahot.
Having my Aquahot annual service next week so I'll check with the tech on the bypass procedure. Failing that I will definitely take you up on your suggesting and follow up with Tiffin. Thanks for the feedback.
Nildecaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:54 AM   #22

Wayne

Never heard of that possibility. I will give that a try.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:11 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Just an FYI Chlorine attacks copper very aggressively. In high concentrations, it will dissolve it. This is why the AquaHot should be bypassed, as the internal heat transfer coils are made of copper.

Small ppm of chlorine for short periods of time might be ok, but should the concentration damage the AquaHot replacing it gets to be very, very, expensive....good idea to strictly adhere to the manufacturer's recommendations for sanitizing the system.
2014 Jeep GC diesel - 2024 Renegade Verona 36VSB
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:56 PM   #24

Well I'll just add my .02 worth. Be sure and use bleach. Most "bleach" products today have additives. Just make sure you buy Chlorine bleach and not the color fast or oxygenated or scented stuff.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:29 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
There was a thread about a year ago on the subject of sanitizing the fresh water system. This TSB from Aqua-Hot explains how much bleach to use and how long to leave it set to not harm the AH unit. It has worked well for me, we're part time about 5-6 months a year, and sanitize twice a year.
Thanks, Gary.

Water System Disinfection.pdf

According to the TSB, use of a bleach solution of 100 parts per million (ppm), achieved by using 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gallons of water, will not damage the AquaHot. In fact, the TSB includes a procedure to use a 200 ppm solution (1/2 cup of bleach per 15 gallons water) for a shorter period of time (at least one hour).

We've been parked, using shore water, for two weeks and two days ago developed a faint sulfur smell in the fresh water, most noticeable in hot shower water.

Rather than a full fresh water system sanitization (100 gallon fresh water tank and full system), I thought that I'd try a modified sanitization.

I used 1/8 cup of bleach in a 5 gallon bucket. That should have resulted in a concentration of 150 ppm (the math majors will be happy to correct me ). I turned off the shore water supply, removed the three water filters and installed the necessary bypasses, then used the winterization system to use the pump to push the chlorinated water thru the system to the various faucets, water spigot, shower and toilet. I let it sit in the system for 1 1/2 hours and then completely flushed the system using shore water. After there was no more odor of chlorine, I installed a fresh set of filters.

So far, more than a day later, there's no sulfur or chlorine smell in the water.

I haven't yet tried any water from the fresh water tank. If I detect any sulfur odor from that, I guess I'll have to go "full sanitization".

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-16-2021, 07:42 AM   #26

Wayne

I read up on the Thetford product and its use. I ordered a batch last night from Amazon.

But what an amazing array of opinions on the product. Essentially people who have used it have loved it (5 stars) or hated it (1 star). I spent an hour reading back through the comments and they ran from "its poison and don't use it" to "just do exactly what the company says and it is wonderful".

My guess is that most of the terrible reviews have not bothered to read the instructions before using the product. We shall see.. I am going to use it exactly the way Thetford describes and I'll tell you how it works....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 03:02 PM   #27

Has anyone ever used H2O2 for sanitizing?

Has anyone had any problem with mineral buildup?

Thanks, Jim
JaimesBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 03:15 PM   #28

Has anyone used chlorine dioxide? Some cities use it to purify their water, and those cities tend to win clean water awards. It is also safe to ingest in proper dilution and is used by some people in alternative medicine as a treatment for pathogens and parasites. Interesting stuff.
BrassPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water