Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #1

Stiff steering

Has anyone noticed there steering being a little stiff. The pressure need to make the slightest changes while driving really wear me out after a days driving. I am on my 8th motorhome and never has one this stiff. I noticed a post recently about Sparta making some changes, but can not find it.
MS DELTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #2

Contact Spartan service in Charlotte. They are great to work with and will help you diagnose it over the phone or send you to one of their service centers that is qualified to fix it. You should not have stiff steering. Mine steers as easy as my Lincoln and almost as easy as my Ford pickup with electric power steering.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Yes, I had steering problems. This post is a long read, but it will help to answer your questions as to the steering problems and upgrade that Spartan has out to their dealers now. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/powe...on-184453.html

People thought I was crazy with what I was saying about my steering. After the "fix" it is perfect now. Some Entegra's do not have the problem as bad as others. Mine was terrible.

A call to Spartan will not hurt as well.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I owned a 13 Aspire and now a 14 Anthem and never considered either to be stiff to steer. I think they steered as easily or better than my old Monaco.

I was watching the guy who parks my RV in the storage place and was amazed today at how much 55deg wheel cut really looks like from outside.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #5

My steering does not make a lot of noise like the other post. Just a little whine which doesn't bother me. I just know they will tell me it is fine and it is until you drive it 250 or more miles. The constant minor changes you have to make while driving will wear you out after time. Thanks for trying guys. I will see what Sparta says.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS DELTA View Post
My steering does not make a lot of noise like the other post. Just a little whine which doesn't bother me. I just know they will tell me it is fine and it is until you drive it 250 or more miles. The constant minor changes you have to make while driving will wear you out after time. Thanks for trying guys. I will see what Sparta says.
Another long read, but some great steering information and a shop in MO that has fixed several peoples problems.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/stee...ay-182810.html
Old 09-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Quote:

Several things you should know.....

Entegra does not do an alignment on your new coach. Spartan Chassis does before the send the chassis to EC to add a 30,000+# house on it.

You need an alignment....if it's pulled like this since day one, Ask EC (Joyce) to pay for an ALL WHEEL ALIGNMENT at the very best alignment shop you can find.

I did at Spartan Chassis and they found my front axle had gotten out of square. One of my tag axles was twisted out of alignment and my ride height had to be adjusted.

Ask them to Re-torque you Suspension Bolts.....Spartan recommends this be done on every coach.

Finally....after it was all said and done, I added a Safe-T-Plus centering device (about $900.00) installed. Now I don't even have to steer.....I just aim......with one hand most of the time.

www.Safe-T-Plus.com

Pat

Wmpbauer
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #8

[QUOTE=brobox;2213501]Another long read, but some great steering information and a shop in MO that has fixed several peoples problems.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/stee...ay-182810.html[/QUOTE
That shop in Mo. Is called Perry Legend in Columbia Mo. Just South of I-70 on U.S. 63. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #9

I had my coach alignment done at a place in Alabama that did a great job on my last Tiffin coach. It was pulling a little to the right. They fixed that, but it is still stiff as I mentioned. I guess I will be making a trip to MO in the future and see if they can Make it work better. I will however grease the frontend to see if that helps any. Man that was a long read on Kurts coach. I hope I can get results like him.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #10

I took my new-to-me coach to the Spartan factory, thinking "who would know more about a Spartan chassis?"

I asked if the steering being this rough was normal for a chassis of this vintage. That produced a big smile, an eight hundred dollar bill, and new steering parts that started rusting in the first two months. No change in performance, just a shrug from the service writer.

My neighbor, the retired mechanic, came by today to have a look at the coach. I showed him what I describe as a feeling of sand in the steering column. He said, "I'll sit here and turn the wheel back and forth, you go up front with a can of WD40 and spray the universal joint at the end of the steering shaft just above the gear box". Problem solved.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Quote:
I had my coach alignment done at a place in Alabama that did a great job on my last Tiffin coach. It was pulling a little to the right. They fixed that, but it is still stiff as I mentioned. I guess I will be making a trip to MO in the future and see if they can Make it work better. I will however grease the frontend to see if that helps any. Man that was a long read on Kurts coach. I hope I can get results like him.

Might give Apalachee RV Center in Auburn GA a look-see on this issue. They installed my Safe-T-Plus and have an excellent alignment reputation....if it's convenient for you.

If you'll be in Florida, I highly recommend Josam alignment in Orlando. They are the best east of the Mississippi.
http://www.josamusa.com

Pat
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will make it to one of the above, hopefully soon.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:41 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Jim. Best of luck getting that taken care of. Please let us know what the problem was in case anyone else experiences it. Believe me....I know what aggravating steering feels like and glad my coach was the guinea pig to help others. I wish it woud have helped your situation.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:27 PM   #14

Chuck, I know you had some horrific problems and I so glad you got that worked out. Others will benefit from you experience.
I worry that my problem is not enough to get anyone to pay attention. It is very aggravating and tiring to drive. I really want to get it done and lean toward Columbus to do the job. When I do go somewhere, I will post to let everyone know.

Tags
steering