RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #1

Still having Wiper issue

We are original owners 2018 Anthem 44B....

After previous trip where our front driver side windshield wiper went back behind drivers side mirror and then when we placed back in its correct position it still falls down to painted section near generator when we tried to operate. After everyoneís help here we ordered a new windshield wiper arm.

After trying to put on the new Wiper arm and torque to 65 Lbs following Entegra instruction sheet we attempted to try the new wiper arm...

Results were same thing happened....new wiper arm fell down to painted section near generator.

Did we not get torque correct or is something else our problem?

Note: we are not super DIY people

Thank you for your help!

Steve and Daphne Stanford
Xpress21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 08:08 AM   #2

Steve

I have never had your problem, but my thoughts are that your problem can be deriving from the wiper not being torqued correctly on the drive shaft or it could be because the drive mechanism is not working in the proper manner and the wiper is just a symptom of the problem and not the cause.

I would probably take the wiper off and then activate the windshield wiper mechanism and watch the "action" of the rod (cam) that the wiper is mounted to and then also observe the action of the wiper linkage from the wiper drive motor to each of the wiper mounting rods (cams). Make sure that the connecting rods and mechanism from the drive motor to each of the wiper mounts is operating correctly and tight and not slipping or binding at some point. Once you are sure that the entire mechanism is solid and working properly, then return your attention again to the drive rod that the windshield wiper actually bolts to. I would try to restrain the shaft from turning and see if there is any slippage. Just grabbing onto it with your hands should provide a lot of opposing force. If there is no slippage than you have only one remaining cause and that is that the wiper is slipping on the shaft. Is there a flat spot on the shaft that the set screw is supposed to be pushing against. Do you have it mounted incorrectly. Is there only one spot that it mounts appropriately and other positions let it slip? Is the set screw or bolt long enough to really "jam" against the drive rod.

Again, never had the problem but probably the steps I would follow to try to figure out what my problem is. Might give you some ideas.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Steve

I have never had your problem, but my thoughts are that your problem can be deriving from the wiper not being torqued correctly on the drive shaft or it could be because the drive mechanism is not working in the proper manner and the wiper is just a symptom of the problem and not the cause.

I would probably take the wiper off and then activate the windshield wiper mechanism and watch the "action" of the rod (cam) that the wiper is mounted to and then also observe the action of the wiper linkage from the wiper drive motor to each of the wiper mounting rods (cams). Make sure that the connecting rods and mechanism from the drive motor to each of the wiper mounts is operating correctly and tight and not slipping or binding at some point. Once you are sure that the entire mechanism is solid and working properly, then return your attention again to the drive rod that the windshield wiper actually bolts to. I would try to restrain the shaft from turning and see if there is any slippage. Just grabbing onto it with your hands should provide a lot of opposing force. If there is no slippage than you have only one remaining cause and that is that the wiper is slipping on the shaft. Is there a flat spot on the shaft that the set screw is supposed to be pushing against. Do you have it mounted incorrectly. Is there only one spot that it mounts appropriately and other positions let it slip? Is the set screw or bolt long enough to really "jam" against the drive rod.

Again, never had the problem but probably the steps I would follow to try to figure out what my problem is. Might give you some ideas.

Gary

Thank you! We will try all your recommendations this afternoon!

Steve and Daphne
Old 09-28-2020, 08:51 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Been there done that. When you remove the wiper assembly you need to ensure that the "splines" on the drive shaft sticking through the front cap are cleeaned completely out. The wiper arm base fitting that goes over the splined drive shaft is crappy pot metal. When torqued properly on the shaft, the splines are designed to "cut into" the virgin pot metal of the arm base. If the splines are not cleaned properly after the arm is removed, they will not cut into the base metal as desigened and just strip the material out again as they attempt to rotate the arm.

Always torue to 75lbs. (or REALLY snug if you aren't carrying a torque wrench), wait a couple of hours, and re-torque again (or furthe snug up).

Bad news is, if the splines are stripped, you will need a shaft replacement. This is better left to a professional tech, as it is imperative to get the timing of the clock mechanism of the motor and shafts timed correctly. If you have already tried to install the shaft and it is stripped again as you indicated, you may have to replace the base again!

If you are out on the road, remove the arm, judiciously clean the shaft splines, reset the wiper arm (pay attention to how high it should ride above the bottom of the windshield before removing replace in same indexed position), torque the hell out of it, wait awhile, and re-torque again. I've had to do this with just a crescent wrench in an emergency situation. This may get you home or at least to a dealer for proper repair.

Once all is good, you may want to consider going to a shorter blade assembly. The big honking 39" blades put ALOT of stress on the pivot shaft and arm base. I went down to a shorter 34" blade due to all the issues mentioned above, they work perfectly.

It seems that Entegra sends the coach out without proper install and torque settings, failure of re-torquing, etc.....first thing to do with a new coach once you get it home SHOULD be torque the hell outta' the wiper arms!!!

But no one tells you that.......Cheers!
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:00 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Ernie is spot on.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymyst View Post
Been there done that. When you remove the wiper assembly you need to ensure that the "splines" on the drive shaft sticking through the front cap are cleeaned completely out. The wiper arm base fitting that goes over the splined drive shaft is crappy pot metal. When torqued properly on the shaft, the splines are designed to "cut into" the virgin pot metal of the arm base. If the splines are not cleaned properly after the arm is removed, they will not cut into the base metal as desigened and just strip the material out again as they attempt to rotate the arm.

Always torue to 75lbs. (or REALLY snug if you aren't carrying a torque wrench), wait a couple of hours, and re-torque again (or furthe snug up).

Bad news is, if the splines are stripped, you will need a shaft replacement. This is better left to a professional tech, as it is imperative to get the timing of the clock mechanism of the motor and shafts timed correctly. If you have already tried to install the shaft and it is stripped again as you indicated, you may have to replace the base again!

If you are out on the road, remove the arm, judiciously clean the shaft splines, reset the wiper arm (pay attention to how high it should ride above the bottom of the windshield before removing replace in same indexed position), torque the hell out of it, wait awhile, and re-torque again. I've had to do this with just a crescent wrench in an emergency situation. This may get you home or at least to a dealer for proper repair.

Once all is good, you may want to consider going to a shorter blade assembly. The big honking 39" blades put ALOT of stress on the pivot shaft and arm base. I went down to a shorter 34" blade due to all the issues mentioned above, they work perfectly.

It seems that Entegra sends the coach out without proper install and torque settings, failure of re-torquing, etc.....first thing to do with a new coach once you get it home SHOULD be torque the hell outta' the wiper arms!!!

But no one tells you that.......Cheers!

Great details! Thank you for the kindness to help us!

Steve and Daphne
Old 09-28-2020, 11:09 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Haven’t done the 75ft lbs, but sure agree with everything else. Funny thing about wipers failing, it always seems to be raining. Makes those roadside repairs a lot less fun. ��
Tim Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:37 PM   #8

So my instructions from a few years ago say 65lbs on the torque. Has that changed to 75lbs?
Old 09-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #9

Still having Wiper issue

Ft lbs or inch lbs for us noninitiated following this conversation?.......and quit laughing🤪.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Ft lbs or inch lbs for us noninitiated following this conversation?.......and quit laughing🤪.

Here we go!
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:04 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I had the problem that the hole in washer was to small, it would bottom out before it got tight. I solved problem by filing hole big enough to go over knurl and tighten at least twice. Make sure you clean off knurl on shaft with screwdriver or nail file, just clean grooves, should work then and will work onold wiper in the field if nessary.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:27 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
Here we go!
Now dang it! I'm pretty sure it was ft./lbs. but I can't find the email from the OEM! NOW you have me doubting myself.....

No, wait! I remember the conversation now...the oem guy told me ft.lbs, as I was concerned about reefing on it too hard, as I didn't have a torque wrench with me on the road....he coomented that I wouldn't hurt it with my big a** crescent wrench as it was designed to be torqued to 75 ft./lbs....which is a pretty good amount of torque!

At least that's the way I remember it!!!
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #13
The Taj

Entegra Owners Club
I keep a proper sized wrench handy and retighten both wipers every time I drive.
Donít bother with torque wrench. I was getting pretty torqued when wipers failed so I just tighten the ,.x2 outta them!

2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus 42QRP (traded in)
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:49 PM   #14

A quote from the 4/19 "Rollin' Along - Tips for Maintaining your Entegra Coach":

"Check torque on windshield wiper arms: specification is 60 FT LBS"

Thanks,

BG
BobG88 is offline   Reply With Quote