Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #71

Entegra Owners Club
I agree with Dave. Any brand's owners could make a similar list of wants, which would no doubt include many items that are already incorporated in Entegra's. What comes to mind immedialely is industry-leading insulation, ride and handling, quietness, and construction that is as solid as any coach built and far better than most.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #72

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Entegra does monitor this blog and listens to us when we talk about our wish lists. They are also cautious, which I appreciate. Those of us who have seen the 2015 Cornerstone already know some of the changes.

If you want to see the 2015 model changes, plan on going to the FMCA Family Reunion and Motor Coach Showcase in Redmond, OR in August, 2014. Andy Baer said they will be displaying the 2015 models at that show. The next opportunity that I am aware of is the Hershey, PA show in September.

http://www.fmca.com/conventions/redmond-2014

http://www.prvca.org/default.aspx?tabid=59

Pat
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #73

Great post Mark!

I'd still like a bigger difference in the chassis/engine between the Aspire & Anthem. If you put the Anthem on the K-2 w/the 500hp with Air-leveling, it does add cost of course, but it would certainly create the distinction between the Aspire & the Anthem. Just like the chassis difference between the Tiffin Bus (Powerglide) & Phaeton (Freightliner). But the Anthem on a K-2 now puts it in the Zephyr class, with the Cornerstone competing with Newmar Essex. I know, it does cost more, but ... you get what you pay for
Jake62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake62 View Post
Great post Mark!

I'd still like a bigger difference in the chassis/engine between the Aspire & Anthem. If you put the Anthem on the K-2 w/the 500hp with Air-leveling, it does add cost of course, but it would certainly create the distinction between the Aspire & the Anthem. Just like the chassis difference between the Tiffin Bus (Powerglide) & Phaeton (Freightliner). But the Anthem on a K-2 now puts it in the Zephyr class, with the Cornerstone competing with Newmar Essex. I know, it does cost more, but ... you get what you pay for
That's the quandry that Tiffin is currently going through. They've upped the Phaeton so much that it's hard to differentiate between the Phaeton and Bus and hard to justify the extra cost. The 45LP Bus is the big seller in the Bus lin but the Phaeton's total numbers have far exceeded the Bus sales. Their Zephyr is a non-player. A 500HP K2 is all you get, otherwise its very close to the Bus except for a huge jump in price.

I wouldn't mind seeing a K2 under the Anthem. That would create a bigger spread between the Aspire and Anthem. But the K2 with the ISX is pricey and the danger would be that the price would move much closer to the Cornerstone. Not sure how that would market. I would think that the Aspire would need to go with IFS in the 450 HP MMGT chassis to fill that market segment. That would allow room for a more entry level 400 HP rear radiator solid axle chassis but I'm not so sure that would be in Entegra's best interest at this time. They can't make them fast enough the way it is and affecgting the higher end units by throwing in an entry level unit might not be the best move - at least not right now. Those are the decisions that Entegra has to deal with, and I'm sure they've considered it.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Hard to believe this thread has turned into a why not to buy and Entegra...seriously???!!! Of all the stuff mentioned here, floor plans seem to me to be the only rational reason. Even the furniture, well, been shopping on line for alternatives just to see what's out there. I've seen or tested most of the brands that are in coaches and I am not sure how a coach manufacturer chooses a couch or lounge chair that satisfies and fits every body type. These are not custom built homes. Get real, folks.

The custom built coaches are just down the block...they are not available in the $250-500k price point...you need to bring a $1M check or more.
I don't see this topic as going into a whining stage at all. The reason for this topic was to tell Entegra what they need to do to improve and sell more coaches. Regardless of whether anyone else doesn't agree with their reasons, they are valid reasons and those reasons are why they aren't buying at this time. That's important for Entegra to know. When most people spend this kind of money they want things right and it's those details that make a difference. At the end of he day, the best construction and insulation in the world doesn't make for an enjoyable time if you can't get the airflow you want or comfortable seating or a floor plan that suits your tastes. You can get them in other brands but not with Entegra's superior construction. If Entegra could put all of that together they would be unstoppable.

As much as I love Entegra's quality construction, if I had to replace all the windows, add fans, and deal with furniture upgrades I could do that all right off the bat by ordering a Newmar, which does cost more, but they will make those changes for you. Granted, they cost more due to their customizing abilities but if I have to do that all on a new Entegra anyway, it would probably be close. Newmar's use similar construction and are very close to Entegra in that aspect, aside from the fact that they don't use Spartan chassis and are now in bed with Freightliner. But they also don't run up into the $1M bracket. They are still a class A, not a Prevost conversion or Newell.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
I don't see this topic as going into a whining stage at all. The reason for this topic was to tell Entegra what they need to do to improve and sell more coaches. Regardless of whether anyone else doesn't agree with their reasons, they are valid reasons and those reasons are why they aren't buying at this time. That's important for Entegra to know. When most people spend this kind of money they want things right and it's those details that make a difference. At the end of he day, the best construction and insulation in the world doesn't make for an enjoyable time if you can't get the airflow you want or comfortable seating or a floor plan that suits your tastes. You can get them in other brands but not with Entegra's superior construction. If Entegra could put all of that together they would be unstoppable.

As much as I love Entegra's quality construction, if I had to replace all the windows, add fans, and deal with furniture upgrades I could do that all right off the bat by ordering a Newmar, which does cost more, but they will make those changes for you. Granted, they cost more due to their customizing abilities but if I have to do that all on a new Entegra anyway, it would probably be close. Newmar's use similar construction and are very close to Entegra in that aspect, aside from the fact that they don't use Spartan chassis and are now in bed with Freightliner. But they also don't run up into the $1M bracket. They are still a class A, not a Prevost conversion or Newell.
Agree Mark,
I don't see this thread as bashing Entegra, but a thread that might catch Entegra's eye where each individual's comments are considered constructive to continue to develop the Entegra line to become the best Class A available.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #77

From Cruzer: " I strongly feel that Entegra has the best platform and basic structural construction in the class A range (omitting Newell and the Prevost conversions of course). They have the best potential for longevity and I feel that they would be the best choice that would give me the best coach in the long run. "

I've seen many of your posts and it's clear that you are an RV expert. When you make the statements in the above quote, I'm wondering exactly what do you see that places Entegra over the others? I mean nuts and bolts differences?!! How is the K3 in the Cornerstone different/better than in the King Aire, Sidewall construction? roofing? Nuts and bolts!! How are the Anthem and Aspire better than their competition. If Entegra has a better "platform" I would want to know what's different and why because if it's that much better, I'll save a bunch of money and make my next coach an Entegra!!

I'm guessing that you don't like ForeTravel!!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #78

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
I'm guessing that you don't like ForeTravel!!

Two Cornerstones or three Anthems for the price of one ForeTravel. Like comparing a Honda Civic to a Lexus LS 460.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F392298, NRA Benefactor, Newmar KK Lone Stars South
Dutch Star David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:44 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

I've noticed that Newmar owners frequently jump in here when Entegra quality is mentioned. But I think they are taking things out of context and maybe feeling that Entegra owners are slighting Newmar, which is not the case. Newmar is a great coach. It's just that they are different in a number of ways. I don't want to veer this topic off course but I will answer your question rather than leave you hang, but that's it. Not going to go into a Newmar versus Entegra debate.

Entegra's business plan is to make these coaches fairly cookie cutter. There are only a handful of floorplans and most features are standard with little room for options and no customization of any sort. The end result is a good product being offered at a very attractive price without affecting quality.

Newmar builds them one at a time. They allow the customer to specify certain changes in the coach that you won't get in an Entegra, as long as it doesn't radically alter the basic design of the floorplan. One example is the aluminum stud framing. Unlike most others they do not use jigs. Instead they lay them out by hand according to plans. This gives them the flexibility to relocate windows or add additional backing for custom cabinetry, etc. They also buy their interior components on an as needed basis. That lets them substitute tile flooring, wallpaper or even appliances according to a customer's specifications. This is an attractive benefit for those who want something specific in their coach. The downside is that it adds additional cost. But that's the business model that Newmar has chosen and it appeals to some folks while the less expensive, take it as it is Entegra approach appeals to others. No right or wrong here. Just different approaches.

As to the construction differences, there are some and Entegra has the edge. Again, that's not to say that Newmar doesn't cut it. You'll notice that I previously stated that Newmar uses similar construction and is close to Entegra. I didnt' say that Newmar wasn't good enough. In fact, Newmar's construction is excellent. It's just that Entegra kicks it up a notch. Your King Aire versus Cornerstone is not apples to apples. Both use the outstanding K3 chassis, which is the best in the industry. The K3 doesn't "need" anything, although to be honest I will admit that I have not driven a King Aire. The King Aire goes upscale in a number of amenitites which places it in a different bracket than the Cornerstone. But there is a significant price jump as well. If I had the money to afford a King Aire and the Cornerstone floor plans and interior things were not to our choosing I wouldn't hesitate to custom order a King Aire.

A better comparison would be the Mountain Aire to an Anthem. The level of features is similar, with the exception of Freightliner versus Spartan, and I'm not going to go there in this topic either. You may recall the Mountain Aire road test and review in last year's FMCA magazine that I wrote. I found that the Mountain Aire/Freightliner rode as nice as my Allegro Bus/Spartan although my Spartan had a slight edge in crisper handling and the Newmar was much quieter than my Tiffin. But when comparing it to the Anthem, the Anthem stood out. Entegra adds the cross bracing to the frame rails. The have the same wooden floor as Newmar but it's thicker. Entegra goes as far as filling the ends of the steel sub-structural tubing with foam to kill any resonating. This and a number of other small improvements allow for an increase in insulation, reduce sound and road vibrations, and make the chassis less prone to flex which keeps the box more stress free and makes the suspension do more work. The end result was a quieter ride and the best handling I've experienced, other than in a Newell. I was able to throw the Anthem into tight corners at speeds I wouldn't try in others. Minimal lean, crisp handling and a comfortable ride. Again, it's not that other brands are sub-standard. It's just that those little extras that Entegra pays attention to go above and beyond. For most people those aren't a deal breaker, but floorplans are.

To quote the immortal words of Forest Gump, "and that's all I have to say about that".
Old 04-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
I've noticed that Newmar owners frequently jump in here when Entegra quality is mentioned. But I think they are taking things out of context and maybe feeling that Entegra owners are slighting Newmar, which is not the case. Newmar is a great coach. It's just that they are different in a number of ways. I don't want to veer this topic off course but I will answer your question rather than leave you hang, but that's it. Not going to go into a Newmar versus Entegra debate.

Entegra's business plan is to make these coaches fairly cookie cutter. There are only a handful of floorplans and most features are standard with little room for options and no customization of any sort. The end result is a good product being offered at a very attractive price without affecting quality.

Newmar builds them one at a time. They allow the customer to specify certain changes in the coach that you won't get in an Entegra, as long as it doesn't radically alter the basic design of the floorplan. One example is the aluminum stud framing. Unlike most others they do not use jigs. Instead they lay them out by hand according to plans. This gives them the flexibility to relocate windows or add additional backing for custom cabinetry, etc. They also buy their interior components on an as needed basis. That lets them substitute tile flooring, wallpaper or even appliances according to a customer's specifications. This is an attractive benefit for those who want something specific in their coach. The downside is that it adds additional cost. But that's the business model that Newmar has chosen and it appeals to some folks while the less expensive, take it as it is Entegra approach appeals to others. No right or wrong here. Just different approaches.

As to the construction differences, there are some and Entegra has the edge. Again, that's not to say that Newmar doesn't cut it. You'll notice that I previously stated that Newmar uses similar construction and is close to Entegra. I didnt' say that Newmar wasn't good enough. In fact, Newmar's construction is excellent. It's just that Entegra kicks it up a notch. Your King Aire versus Cornerstone is not apples to apples. Both use the outstanding K3 chassis, which is the best in the industry. The K3 doesn't "need" anything, although to be honest I will admit that I have not driven a King Aire. The King Aire goes upscale in a number of amenitites which places it in a different bracket than the Cornerstone. But there is a significant price jump as well. If I had the money to afford a King Aire and the Cornerstone floor plans and interior things were not to our choosing I wouldn't hesitate to custom order a King Aire.

A better comparison would be the Mountain Aire to an Anthem. The level of features is similar, with the exception of Freightliner versus Spartan, and I'm not going to go there in this topic either. You may recall the Mountain Aire road test and review in last year's FMCA magazine that I wrote. I found that the Mountain Aire/Freightliner rode as nice as my Allegro Bus/Spartan although my Spartan had a slight edge in crisper handling and the Newmar was much quieter than my Tiffin. But when comparing it to the Anthem, the Anthem stood out. Entegra adds the cross bracing to the frame rails. The have the same wooden floor as Newmar but it's thicker. Entegra goes as far as filling the ends of the steel sub-structural tubing with foam to kill any resonating. This and a number of other small improvements allow for an increase in insulation, reduce sound and road vibrations, and make the chassis less prone to flex which keeps the box more stress free and makes the suspension do more work. The end result was a quieter ride and the best handling I've experienced, other than in a Newell. I was able to throw the Anthem into tight corners at speeds I wouldn't try in others. Minimal lean, crisp handling and a comfortable ride. Again, it's not that other brands are sub-standard. It's just that those little extras that Entegra pays attention to go above and beyond. For most people those aren't a deal breaker, but floorplans are.

To quote the immortal words of Forest Gump, "and that's all I have to say about that".
Thanks Mark!!
I was looking for an objective comparison and you did an excellent job of providing exactly that!!
Old 04-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #81

Entegra Owners Club
I agree with the posting. We seriously looked at Newmar but some of the features didn't sit with us, including price. That doesn't mean we don't like Newmars or think less of their buyers. As Cruzer said I wish the owners of other types wouldn't jump on the Entegra folks simply because they prefer the brand they bought.
hogdriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #82

Excellent post Mark!

You're a wealth of information ... scary
Old 04-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #83

K3 with 200 Gallon Fuel Tank

Cornerstone K3 chassis with 200 gallon fuel tank instead of 150
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
Cornerstone K3 chassis with 200 gallon fuel tank instead of 150
I's like that as well. When at Spartan they were building K3s on the line. The Newmar King Aire had 200 gal tanks while the Cornerstone only had 150. I'm always a big fan of getting more cruising range to make it easier to pick your fuel stops.