Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2016, 08:29 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Tommy

There is no way you will get anyway near 23 miles out of a 39 dollar radio. Would be interested to know if you reliably get 5 miles when you use them.

Gary
Especially since they're pretty much line of sight. Maybe they'll work in the Entegra corral at Big Sky.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 01:14 PM   #44

Summerfest

We also will be at the Yellowstone Holiday RV campground, Hebgen Lake. Plan on spending two days then move up to Big Sky on the 16th. We look forward to seeing all of you there. Barbara and John
mccombsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Jenny and I will be leaving OKC on12 July working our way to West Yellowstone Mountainside KOA for 14-15 and continue to Big Sky morning of 16 July. Look forward to seeing all again.

We are currently in Jamaica Beach TX until 1 July and will be back in OKC on 4 July. Would be back sooner but DW needs a stopover for 1st Monday Trades day in Canton TX.
Jerry0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:46 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
The DW and I are making our first Entegra rally to Big Sky and coming in from Texas. Has anyone made that trip in from the east and if so, got any advise. We plan to leave on the 9th and head that way and would like to take in some sites on the way, any help would be appreciated.
We can't make Summerfest this year but I suggest you spend at least two or three days in Ouray, CO (the Switerland of America). Rent a Jeep or Razor and go see views most people will never see in their lifetime. Go across Last Dollar Road (for miles you are on the Double R Ranch, Ralph Loren's little place) or if you are comfortable in a Jeep try Imogene Pass over to Telluride then back via Ophir Pass. We are hooked really bad. First trip was in a pop-up in 1987. Only missed one year since when the kids wanted to go to Disney World. We hated it and have gone back to the San Juans ever year since. The drive from Ouray to Durango is a little fun but I have driven it in an RV at least twice every year we have gone (so at least 56 times) so it's certainly doable. Now that the kids are grown and gone we no longer go in July but rather Sept. or Oct. I can promise you will love it.

Doug
AspireDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:26 PM   #47

Doug

You take CO-550?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsour View Post
My experience with portable radios is out of sight= out of range. Sometimes on open water I've gotten a couple miles range from them.
I did a bunch of research on hand helds and looked like the best bang for the buck were the Retevis H-777. They don't b.s. with miracle claims, they claim "up to 3 miles" but from reviews I've read on multiple sites, about 1 to 1.5 miles is reasonable to expect in trees.

Of course if there's a rock outcropping separating you...might as well light the signal fire and practice the yodel-of-death because radio ain't going to be useful...

BTW folks wandering to BigSky should check out Quake Lake since it's not that far off the highway. Interesting bit of relatively recent history.

Also be aware that Highway 191 is the most dangerous road in Montana. Tons of trucks use it as a shorter route than going over to I-15S out of Butte. Mid-summer is not a big deal but in spring and fall there can often be ice in the shadows even when the rest of the road is bare and dry. Not unusual to have moose plodding around.

I live just north of the mouth of Gallatin Canyon where 191 comes up into Four Corners. Amazing area.

If anyone needs their quota of tight curvy roads filled, Hyalite Canyon south of Bozeman is a hoot on a motorcycle. I'm guessing an RV wouldn't have a problem as there is a paved parking lot at the reservoir (Blackmore Picnic Area) that's plenty big to get turned around.

There are a couple of nice looking campgrounds in that vicinity (never stayed at them, just spent time exploring on motorcycles)

It has been hot and dry and the long-term forecast is for more of the same, mid to high 80's. Allergies are kind of a booger this year, but it's gorgeous.

If it were winter, I'd recommend the Lone Mountain Ranch sleigh ride dinner. Killer food and the experience is well worth the price of admission.
dphaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #49

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you for your insights on the Big Sky area and the roads. We do appreciate it 😃
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Doug

You take CO-550?

Gary
Yes sir at least two times per trip. One year we were a day ahead of our reservations and got to Ouray with every campground full. I drove back to Silverton. No openings there either so I drove back to Ironton Park (site of an old mining Ghost Town with a huge tailing pile) and we just drove off 550 into the trees and camped. This is where you exit the highway to get on the Jeep road called Corkscrew.

Doug
AspireDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:36 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

If anyone coming in from the north is looking for a place to meet up and form up a caravan you might consider the Flying J at Belgrade, just west of Bozeman. I was just there and they have a huge gravel parking area off to the west where you could easily form up a caravan. Check it out on Google Maps.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We are leaving Thursday for Creede, CO and leaving there on 7/11 with interim stop at Grizzly in West Yellowstone and heading up towards Big Sky on 7/15. Sounds like this should be a good turnout! Heading west towards Glacier and on west from there.
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:58 AM   #53

Forest River Owners Club
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireDoug View Post
We can't make Summerfest this year but I suggest you spend at least two or three days in Ouray, CO (the Switerland of America). Rent a Jeep or Razor and go see views most people will never see in their lifetime. Go across Last Dollar Road (for miles you are on the Double R Ranch, Ralph Loren's little place) or if you are comfortable in a Jeep try Imogene Pass over to Telluride then back via Ophir Pass. We are hooked really bad. First trip was in a pop-up in 1987. Only missed one year since when the kids wanted to go to Disney World. We hated it and have gone back to the San Juans ever year since. The drive from Ouray to Durango is a little fun but I have driven it in an RV at least twice every year we have gone (so at least 56 times) so it's certainly doable. Now that the kids are grown and gone we no longer go in July but rather Sept. or Oct. I can promise you will love it.

Doug
Our home is just a few miles north of Ouray, in Montrose. It's a beautiful area and wonderful places to visit. We usually stay there for the summer, as we love the San Juans, but this year we are going to Summerfest, then up,to Glacier for a week.
JoyceJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #54

Summerfest

We will be attending the balloon festival in New Mexico in October. The leader for the area we will be parking at sent out the following information. I plan to try this at Big Sky. “Keeping in mind that this is rally parking (close proximity) and dry camping (no shore power), the two coupled can provide an unpleasant experience for you and your neighbor. Almost all gensets have the exhaust on the road side of the coach. That happens to be on your neighbor’s patio and entry door side of their coach. There are commercial exhaust stacks available that attach to your genset exhaust pipe and directs the exhaust to the top of the coach. Cummins Onan does not recommend these extensions as they add weight to the exhaust pipe and can cause a manifold crack, an expensive repair. The exhaust stacks are also expensive. A very economical solution which does not add weight is to obtain a 3” dia. aluminum (not vinyl or foil) dryer vent that collapses to less than two feet and extends to eight feet. It can be extended, bent at a right angle, slipped over the exhaust and directed to the front of the coach vs. the side. This is not a requirement, but a courtesy to your neighbor.”
Old 06-30-2016, 04:51 PM   #55

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks. Looks like you can get those at Lowes or Home Depot for around $10.00. I think that might be a good solution. How do you attach it to the exhaust pipe?
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:41 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Thanks. Looks like you can get those at Lowes or Home Depot for around $10.00. I think that might be a good solution. How do you attach it to the exhaust pipe?
If it is not a snug fit, most likely will attach with a small clamp.