Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2021, 08:48 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Super slide gearbox

Stuck at a campground, superslide won't come in. Power good, motor sounds strong, but it just loudly clicks and skips so the square bars do not turn. Entegra says replace motor and gearbox as one unit, ok but I remember reading a post a couple of years ago about either fixing a bolt in the gearbox or replacing the whole unit or both. I'll be searching for it shortly.

Looking for someone who has done this to make sure I do it right. No luck with campground contacts or GS contacts finding a mobile unit. Also looking at the possibility of manually bringing it in. Any help would be appreciated!
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2021, 09:02 AM   #2

Gary

Sorry, but I have got nothing for you on this one as I thankfully have never wrestled with that problem. I do remember the previous thread you are referring to.

There was also an owner who had devised a simple metal (square steel bar) which married somehow to a ratchet wrench which let him manually bring in his slide when his motor went bad. I'll try searching for that thread.... it was a about 2 years ago I believe.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:07 AM   #3

Gary

Actually, I guess that I searched for several threads on this same issue for someone else some time ago. Here is the link. Within the first link that I reference is the owner that rigged up an emergency slide movement tool (process) with the square steel bar that I remembered.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/man...es-483716.html

Where are you with this problem?

Gary
Old 10-15-2021, 09:11 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Yep, looking for it. Problem is the slide is out, if I can get it in we can move on. I have a couple of large 16 inch adjustable wrenches and I think that will work but need manpower to help. Once in, I should be able to reinstall the motor to keep the slide in place. But I remember something about a 2 by 4 to help secure it.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 10-15-2021, 09:20 AM   #5

The thing that the square bar stock does, as I remember, is that it lets the slide come in or out exactly square (in alignment) into the cut-out in the wall and does not get the slide out of "square". He says it is then a one man job with a single crescent wrench which seems ideal given the circumstances. Not sure if you are anywhere where you might find square bar stock but that fix looks like the real-deal.

I swore I was going to buy that exact piece of steel stock and put it in my spares box, but of course, never did, so now I have another chance to do this just in case for the first time !!

I think the 2x4" issue was to keep it firmly "in" after getting it in.

Gary
Old 10-15-2021, 10:45 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I think you're correct. I now have the motor out and Entegra said NOT to use Crescent wrenches but to push it in. Two of us cannot get it to budge and gently using a large Crescent does not budget it either. Waiting for more manpower or divine intervention...

This is the super slide, passenger side on my 44f that drops down at the end when extending. That may be the issue.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 10-15-2021, 11:00 AM   #7

Yes, that slide has to rise up about 2" before the rollers are rolling on the tile floor. Even the motor struggles to raise the slide to that level the first three or four inches of "horizontal" travel.

Gary
Old 10-15-2021, 11:47 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gary,
If you get 4 or so folks you should be able to push the big slide in. Make sure the doors/windows are open to let the air escape from inside the coach. Otherwise you are pushing against air pressure. Once in, take several 2x4s and wedge between the coach wall and the inside valance. More is better due to the weight of that slide. The only thing that keeps the slide in is the brake on the motor.
The rear slide on our previous 2016 Anthem popped out while driving through TX. The motor ( and therefore the brake) went bad. We used 2x4s to keep the slide in until I could replace the motor. Also, in 2016 we travelled through Canada with a group and their big slide (not an Entegra) went out. At each stop we manually pushed the slide in and out for them. Good luck.
Grower15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:50 AM   #9

here is a home depot sku for the metal needed to fill the void of the removed motor (if memory serves cut to 8.25in) and a 14 inch crescent wrench (or two) are supposed to provide the leverage needed although to complete this kit for myself I am getting a ratcheting box wrench (link) to compliment the crescent.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/67767046
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3124.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	730.3 KB
ID:	346136  
jeff.herren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:47 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Measure your drive bar, I believe thais 3/4” outside diameter. So you would need bar stock which is 3/4 “ inside diameter or larger

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals1212 View Post
Measure your drive bar, I believe thais 3/4” outside diameter. So you would need bar stock which is 3/4 “ inside diameter or larger

Herb

Thanks Herb, It is 3/4"od and I am pretty sure (was really sure until you typed this ) that is the correct measure but will double check before our next trip after we get it back from NIRVC.

Never the less Gary you can probably get bar stock and a long wrench hopefully someplace relatively local to get the slide in.

Based on the earlier convo it may even be a one person job (although a ratchet box wrench would be easier then a single crescent.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/a-m...ol-377395.html
jeff.herren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:32 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your responses. That bar will be on my list. I couldn't budge either one with a wrench and two people pushing. Called Entegra again and got Eric, he said I could swap out with the bedroom, even though it's a weaker motor and push while retracting. Had to put the bad motor in to keep the bedroom in. I do remember reading that a while back but we have a weak cell and no WiFi out here and couldn't follow the links.

Ran into an issue lining up the motor in the bedroom to get the pins in so I hooked up the wiring to spin it, then had to bring it in some once the pin was in and it worked! My guess is the bedroom is so light, and I had the jacks up so it wouldn't slide out when I removed the motor, whatever caused the issue with the super slide wasn't bad enough to effect the bedroom.

But I'm not going to temp fate and try to use either one of those slides, we're a week from getting home. Just to make my day more fun the campground we're in is closing for the season tomorrow and I was told the state license board did not allow you to stay in your RV after that! So the pressure was on, but thanks to this forum and Entegra we will make it out.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 10-15-2021, 08:46 PM   #13

Edit: apologies I see the same in the above response. Good luck!!

Why not take the motor out of your bedroom and use it to bring in the drivers slide? They are interchangeable and we did that when our motor failed. Just be sure to block with 2X4s or reinsert all the motors moved.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-16-2021, 12:21 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I carry a 18 inch ratchet wrench that fits my crossover bar. I a guessing i can lAy on my back and use my leg to ratchet in the super slide. Thankfully, I have not had to test this theory. I do want to give credit to the original poster of this idea.

I hope you get your issue resolved easily. The super slide and vanity slide have ways worried me about failure.

A Crown ToyL and seven up sounds like the perfect victor lap for this resolution.

Safe travels.

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide