Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #15

I am interested in the source of the problem too.

The reason Entegra does not include the surge protector as an OEM part is that the warranty wouldn't transfer. Buying from Progressive, the surge protector is warranted to the purchaser, you. That lifetime warranty has tremendous value, no reason for it to be warranted to Entegra!
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #16

John

I don't doubt you at all, but if you are right, that has got to be the dumbest reason that I have ever heard ...... That change to bypass the coach manufacturer and warrant to the original purchaser of that coach would require changing of a few words in the warranty document.

If you owned Progressive and you could change a couple of words in the warranty document and then sell your unit to be installed in all Entegra, all Tiffin, all Newmar, all Winnebago coaches and half of all the 5ers that are sold in the country every year so they were installed at the factory before delivery and sale, or keep the warranty wording and sell units to maybe 20% of the new owners of the same units..... which of those would you as CEO of whoever owns Progressive choose?

Wow !! I know what decision I would make!! I am pretty sure I know what decision you would make too

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post
I am interested in the source of the problem too.

The reason Entegra does not include the surge protector as an OEM part is that the warranty wouldn't transfer. Buying from Progressive, the surge protector is warranted to the purchaser, you. That lifetime warranty has tremendous value, no reason for it to be warranted to Entegra!
The warranty would probably transfer but not the cascading failures that would happen as a result of a hit. As an example, If you are hit by lightning and all your electronics are destroyed along with the surge protector. The only thing Progressive covers is the surge guard. You would expect Entegra to cover everything but Entegra is unwilling and rightfully so to commit to any cascading failures. And probably why they do not include a surge guard in the original purchase.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #18

Hello All
I have seen a lot of problems with power pedestals thru the years of my travel. I am currently a NRVIA RV Inspector and repair technician and I have recently stumbled over this Pedestal tester and planning to build one my self. It is worth looking at so I am enclosing the link to the PDF.
http://hhrvresource.com/sites/defaul...tal_Tester.pdf

Thomas
RVinFoNow FB
ThomasBachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #19

Gary

That is a very interesting perspective, and I would not be a bit surprised you are right....

But wouldnt Progressive have the responsibility? which might be the reason that they dont do it. (But then, I'll bet that they had their attorney write up wording that says they are not responsible for any down stream side problems, only repair of their unit. That would be wording that would be well worth the expenditure...

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #20

Don't expect progressive to repair or replace your surge protector following a lightening strike. It is excluded in the warranty. Don't ask me how I know. Still worth having.
Mwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwillis View Post
Don't expect progressive to repair or replace your surge protector following a lightening strike. It is excluded in the warranty. Don't ask me how I know. Still worth having.

Probably with 2 more pages of other reasons they won’t replace it... not surprised...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes you need a Surge Guard. I like the Progressive industires HW-30/50C (hardwired) or PT 30/50c (Portable) 30/50 use a 30 if your RV is 30 amp. 50 if your rv is 50 amp. Do not worry about using the other size park outlet they work find.

THIS IS NOT. however your problem.

When switching from Generator to Shore power .. Turn off MAIN breaker, then stop generator, wait 3 minutes, turn main breaker back on

When goign the other way (Shore to generator) turn off MAIN, wait 3 mintues, Start Generator and wait for CLUNK turn back on.

THis i9s the safest way to do it though I usually turn my breaker back on before starting..

The idea is you do not want the transfer to happen UNDER LOAD.. Connecting under load is OK but not transferring, that can weld contacts. (it is the "Break" before the make that does it.)
Old 04-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
John made a good point about taking the load off of the transfer switch before changing power sources. I have talked to other that "just switch" and did not know there is proper procedure. It is explained in the Onan Manual. I don't use the main circuit breaker, just turn off the AC units, let the generator run for at least two minute before shutting off, reverse before putting a load on the generator. I also unplug from shore power before running the generator, not both at the same time. I know the transfer switch is suppose to switch over, but they are the weak link.
Good point wa8yxm, I think a lot of new owners are not aware of this procedure, not followed it can get expensive. If the stators in the generator get damaged, that is real expensive.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
By the way if it makes you feel any better I will tell you how I learned to SWITCH OFF before Transferring loads (And yes. the Air Conditioenrs and a residential or other compressor refrigerator are the primary culprits if you do not want to turn EVERYTHING off)

Same as you... Fried a Transfer Switch..

We learn by mistake... That is if you have someone to explain the mistake as I did.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Surge Protection is GREAT and Progressive Industries is top notch......even though the company was bought out and the 'life time' warranty is no longer as inclusive as it was!

WHY have you gone thru THREE (3) transfer switches and some 'other' electronics in ONE Year?

I guess it’s because I didn’t bother to buy the surge protector earlier. I have now ordered the Progressive 50 amp EMS which will be Delivered tomorrow Thanks to all for the replies and guidance. Chuck
cwr321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #26

Correct model to purchase

I am refreshing this post since I want to purchase one.
By the looks of PI's site, I want the EMS-PT50X Surge Protector (want the portable version).
Has anyone also purchased the RV 30R-50P Adapter? Or are you using your dog bone?
Tom
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
Has anyone also purchased the RV 30R-50P Adapter? Or are you using your dog bone?
Tom
I’m using a “dog bone” with mine as I write this. It works well, but the surge suppressor is kind of sitting on the ground now.

After looking up this adapter you’ve mentioned, I’m going to get one. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2019, 12:28 AM   #28

Last trip out (Florida Super Show) I kept having intermittent shut downs for "low voltage". Was found to be a loose connection in the pedestal. Running the coach at max amps including a 1500 watt heater would have been damaging to stuff running at the 90 volts being indicated at shut down.

Tags
surge guard