Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2018, 06:59 PM   #1

Surge guard

I have a 2017 Entegra Anthem 44DLQ. I have been thru 3 transfer switches and other electronics in one year. Do I need to add an aftermarket surge guard or does my anthem already have this protection built in?
cwr321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #2

Surge protection

Just took delivery of a 2019 Anthem. Asked a factory tech directly if I should add surge protection and answer was yes. I bought a unit for $300 and am installing in line. Not happy that this is suggested equipment but not included as standard equipment.
I knew up front from talking to people I would need it so can’t complain but it just doesn’t feel right.
Dippelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:17 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We all need a Progressive EMS. Some prefer the installed inside type and some prefer the external type that plugs into pedestal. I prefer the outside type to easily check pedestal before power goes to coach and if it gets hit by lightning or other catastrophic failure I will not lose capability to hook up to power.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:21 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
It has been discussed and suggested for years....yes with out a doubt. The best brand on the market is Progressive with it's lifetime warranty. I prefer the hardwired model, others prefer the portable model. As long as you have one is the important thing. http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50chttp://
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:33 PM   #5

Surge guard

Hope this helps. Lots of great info in these videos, the surge guard protection talk starts at 2:45. There is protection at the transfer switch, however, it’s “one and done”. The external protectors are resettable. Our old coach (not Entegra) was the same way. I will add, that my surge guard protected our coach twice in the five years we had it. Once was a faulty power pedestal at a large well known campground.

https://youtu.be/PZhbHQpE9xg
G6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #6

Definitely!!! Every coach needs a good EMS system in addition to their transfer switch. This is a standard recommendation from PJ who does the lectures for owners in Middlebury, and it is a strong one.

The Progressive Industries HW-50C is the one to buy. I prefer the hard wired interior EMS just because it is so easy to see the voltages on the LED read out a few seconds after you turn on the power. You also dont have to worry about it being stolen, or forgotten as you disconnect and hit the road.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #7

I bought the plug in one from camping world .. so far so good.. been almost 2 years.
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:06 PM   #8

I have had the plug-in type for the last 10 years and have never regretted purchasing one. It is terrific protection.
rljacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:22 PM   #9

Another benefit to the Progressive EMS units, is they will protect your coach from too low voltage, which, as I understand, can also be very harmful.

Last July, we were at a campground during a very hot/humid week, and our coach's pedestal power to the coach went dead. Sure enough, the voltage (as I remember) had dropped to the 108 range for a few hours, and the EMS shut things down.

2 trailer owners I later spoke with were gone during that time, and they both had A/C issues when they returned (no EMS protection).

When we bought our new Aspire in August, I had our selling dealer install a Progressive unit before we picked up the coach. Cheap protection and peace of mind. Thanks,

BG
BobG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
First - Absolutely you need an after market surge protector. The Surge Guard installed in the coach is a one use protector. Hit with a surge, it will protect the coach, but will be toast afterwards and so is power supply to the coach until it is replaced.

The Progressive Industries EMS not only provides surge protection, but also pedals wiring errors, under voltage, and over voltage. A nice price, but well worth it. I chose the pedestal type over the wired in type for many reasons. The 2 most significant is the ability to quickly replace if I do run into a problem and the ability to pair with a Hughes Autoformer when we run in to low voltage issues such as we did traveling in western Canada and Alaska.

I am not fond of having expensive hardware hanging on the RV Parks Pedestal. I disconnected the power reel cable from the Surge Guard and connected it to a 50 amp socket mounted to the wall inside the reel/Aqua Hot bay. That essentially turned the power reel into a 50 amp extension cord. I installed a short pigtail to the Surge Guard with a 50 amp plug on the end. That way I can plug the EMS surge protector in the socket secured in the bay and plug the RV’s Surge Guard into it. If I need the Autoformer, I plug it into the the 50 amp socket! Plug the EMS Surge Protector into it, and finally I plug the the RV’s Surge Guard in to the EMS surge protector.

No, this is not over kill. I have service in parks where low voltage is a problem, and the coach is protected from the most common power issues.
Tom78418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:24 PM   #11

Surge Protection is GREAT and Progressive Industries is top notch......even though the company was bought out and the 'life time' warranty is no longer as inclusive as it was!

WHY have you gone thru THREE (3) transfer switches and some 'other' electronics in ONE Year?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Surge Protection is GREAT and Progressive Industries is top notch......even though the company was bought out and the 'life time' warranty is no longer as inclusive as it was!

WHY have you gone thru THREE (3) transfer switches and some 'other' electronics in ONE Year?

X2

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:22 AM   #13

CWR

As others, if you are burning through 3 transfer switches in a year, there is something wrong with your power source, most likely power surges. If you are killing three transfer switches then your surging problem is a serious one and you really need to figure out what the problem is with your power source. I have had 2 coaches for 5 years now, and travel to other power sources in RV parks for half of that time and connected to the S&B 50A the other half of the time, and have never gone through a transfer switch and to my knowledge, never had the Progressive HW-50C go off line on me due to bad power.

In addition to buying a Progressive Industries unit, you need to get an electrician to figure out what the problem with your source/line is. JMHO

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
If Entegra has replaced 3 transfer switches under warranty, I would have thought something before would have been said before. It would be educational to hear the whole story of the electrical problems.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surge guard