Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #29

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcmike View Post
Thanks everyone,, I would get the portable one so that I can move it to the next trailer when I buy down the road.
That is what we did!
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited(his)
bamaspiveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #30

Surge Protector

I have the PI portable. 5 years, protected my rig from several issues on 2 rigs.
Never left it behind. Perhaps some leave camp in a hurry.
My only question is when the silly rivalry BATTLE between portable and hardwired will finally END.
Be happy, friends
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
My only question is when the silly rivalry BATTLE between portable and hardwired will finally END.
Be happy, friends
Each person will use what serves their needs the best. The important thing is to have and use one. There is no wrong choice.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:07 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Hey Gary,

I can answer that question. I have an unusual electrical setup. The sequence is as follows:
1. Power pedestal
2. Progressive SSP50X
3. Hughes Autoformer
3. Progressive EMS HW50C
4. Transfer switch

This set up occurred over several years. The Hughes was first due to the power system at a park we frequently use. The EMS HW50C was next. At some point I started to be concerned that the Hughes was first in line and a surge would take out its surge circuit. It's the highest value component so I added the portable SSP50X to protect the Hughes.
Steve, I'm learning so bear with me. Why didn't you re-wire your system to put the Progressive EMS HW50C before the Hughes Autoformer thereby eliminating the necessity of purchasing the Progressive SSP 50X? Don't they do the same thing?

Another question; Does anyone make an autoformer with a surge protector? I understand what an autoformer does, but is the problem of low voltage so prevalent that it's necessary?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:08 AM   #33

I had hardware unit on my last coach, it went out in NM while on a trip to Vegas, once I got back to NC I replaced it with plug in as so not to be without any more power when it happens again. I had progressive unit & threw it away did not know it had warranty after 3 yrs, plug in has worked great for the last 3 yrs.
raceday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:41 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Hi Richard
Just had the circuit board go out on my 12 year old Progressive hardwired. It has a lifetime guarantee as do all of their units. There is a bypass switch on the front of the monitor to bypass the unit and still have power. I called progressive, we troubleshot it over the phone and 2 days later I had a new board Priority mail. Just to let others know, Progressive units have a lifetime warranty....don't throw a Progressive away

I learned one thing from Hayman, a floor mount is much easier to change the circuit board on that a wall mounted unit. Mine is now floor mounted.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:45 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post

Steve, I'm learning so bear with me. Why didn't you re-wire your system to put the Progressive EMS HW50C before the Hughes Autoformer thereby eliminating the necessity of purchasing the Progressive SSP 50X? Don't they do the same thing?

Another question; Does anyone make an autoformer with a surge protector? I understand what an autoformer does, but is the problem of low voltage so prevalent that it's necessary?
Tim,

Not Steve but I can answer your questions.

If the EMS-HW-50C was wired BEFORE the autoformer you have now defeated the MAIN purpose for having the autoformer in the first place. The main purpose for the autoformer is to boost the voltage in low voltage situations that usually occurs at older campgrounds and RV Parks where the electrical service has not been updated or where lots of A/C's are being used all at the same time reducing the overall voltage.

Hughes Autoformer now sells a new version of their unit with surge protection if you would like to purchase one. Steve most likely has an older version which does not include any surge protection. That's why he uses the Progressive Industries SSP50X at the pedestal BEFORE the autoformer to protect his autoformer from any nominal surge.

50 Amp Hughes Autoformer

I purchased the 50 amp PowerMaster VC-50 back in 2010 which works similar to the Hughes Autoformer but includes 3580 Joules of surge protection. It will boost the voltage either 2.5% or 12% Max depending on how low it is to begin with.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:56 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post

Hi Richard
Just had the circuit board go out on my 12 year old Progressive hardwired. It has a lifetime guarantee as do all of their units. There is a bypass switch on the front of the monitor to bypass the unit and still have power. I called progressive, we troubleshot it over the phone and 2 days later I had a new board Priority mail. Just to let others know, Progressive units have a lifetime warranty....don't throw a Progressive away

I learned one thing from Hayman, a floor mount is much easier to change the circuit board on that a wall mounted unit. Mine is now floor mounted.
Great news, Chuck.

Just to let everyone know, the PI units have a lifetime warranty regardless of whether you were the original owner or not. Even if the RV you purchased had one installed it is still warranted for it's lifetime.

With a TRC unit, you have to send the entire unit in for inspection and if it can't be repaired you have to purchase a brand new unit.

The PI EMS hardwired units are modular so you only have to send the defective part back, NOT the entire unit.

BTW, I hate working on my back in the storage bays below. I mounted my HW-50C in a recessed area of my closet.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Great news, Chuck.

BTW, I hate working on my back in the storage bays below. I mounted my Hw-50C in a recessed area of my closet.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
It was a good excuse to clean the basement out Nice thing with the Entegra high basement I could lay on my side and still had plenty of room.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:41 AM   #38

Quote:
Tim,

Thanks Richard. The SS-50X as I understand it protects against electrical surges only and attaches to the CG power pole. The EMS HW-50C protects against over/under voltage, reverse polarity, and surge protection, so it would have to go after the autoformer, because in and under voltage condition if the HW-50C were before the autoformer, the current would never get to the autoformer.
So in order to protect the autoformer he had to get the SS-50X.

If this is right, I think I get it, Thanks
Both sold
Old 11-05-2016, 08:01 AM   #39

Quote:
Tim,

If the EMS-HW-50C was wired BEFORE the autoformer you have now defeated the MAIN purpose for having the autoformer in the first place. The main purpose for the autoformer is to boost the voltage in low voltage situations that usually occurs at older campgrounds and RV Parks where the electrical service has not been updated or where lots of A/C's are being used all at the same time reducing the overall voltage.

Hughes Autoformer now sells a new version of their unit with surge protection if you would like to purchase one. Steve most likely has an older version which does not include any surge protection. That's why he uses the Progressive Industries SSP50X at the pedestal BEFORE the autoformer to protect his autoformer from any nominal surge.

50 Amp Hughes Autoformer

I purchased the 50 amp PowerMaster VC-50 back in 2010 which works similar to the Hughes Autoformer but includes 3580 Joules of surge protection. It will boost the voltage either 2.5% or 12% Max depending on how low it is to begin with.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

I owned a Hughes transformer at one time for our last 5th wheel. We were sitting a summer in a west Texas park where it was common to see voltage swings from 105-123 volts depending on number of Ac s running throughout park.

It was a newer unit that had built in surge protection designed to protect only the transformer itself. Per the instructions and tech services at Hughes it must be plugged directly into pedestal ahead of any surge protection. I then came off that with a plug in surge protector to the coach.

I was amazed at how well the 12.5% boost improved my voltage. The rub came when temps cool and voltage at post goes up to 122-124. The 2.5% constant boost would kick it past 125 and my surge protector would cut power to the coach. Thus the reason why it must be ahead of any surge protection.

I contacted Tech service about this situation and their only solution was to remove the transformer when pedestal voltage gets that high. Since there was no way to disable the 2.5% boost, and I didn't want to continually plug/unplug the unit I returned it.

It would be a worthwhile investment if you are in a park that never sees voltage >120 or they come up with a transformer that limits boost nte 125.

PS, there are many parks that don't allow the use of these devices.

Mark
MxChief66-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks Richard. The SS-50X as I understand it protects against electrical surges only and attaches to the CG power pole. The EMS HW-50C protects against over/under voltage, reverse polarity, and surge protection, so it would have to go after the autoformer, because in and under voltage condition if the HW-50C were before the autoformer, the current would never get to the autoformer.

So in order to protect the autoformer he had to get the SS-50X.

If this is right, I think I get it, Thanks
Yes, you got it!

The SSP50X has good surge protection BUT only warns you of any incoming power problems. It will not disconnect the power when the incoming electrical parameters are out of tolerance.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #41

Quote:

Good questions Gary. The first one is easy.
1. If I wire the Pregressive EMS unit in first, then if it sees low voltage, it will cut power and the Hughes will not be able to do its primary task which is to boost low voltage to a safe level.
2. The Hughes does have a "surge" circuit built in. Many time a strong surge will fry the surge circuit in the Hughes which, in my Hughes, meant pulling it out & sending it back for a rebuild. I had to have mine rebuilt several years ago and it was about $200. Also it's heavy and the shipping cost is high. The newest Hughes models have a modular construction and the surge circuit is field replaceable. Since I had the old model, I elected to purchase a Progressive surge only unit to put first in line to protect the Hughes. That was less than half the total cost of a rebuild on the Hughes.
3. The Progressive EMS unit gives you protection from many conditions of bad power. The EMS surge unit only gives protection from a surge. It will indicate several bad power conditions but only by a pattern of indicator light.
4. Low voltage is the most common electrical power fault you will see.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:31 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxChief66-1 View Post
PS, there are many parks that don't allow the use of these devices.

Mark
That's good to know!
Both sold