Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2022, 03:02 AM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post

I’m not ready to switch to T-Mobile for our phones. Too many areas where we travel that I don’t see service for the hotspot so I’m assuming I wouldn’t have service for the phone either. I can live without internet coverage OR without cell phones but I won’t take the chance of being without both if I can avoid it. Been there, done that. We’re not getting any younger and the idea of not being able to reach out for help if needed was very uncomfortable.
Linda, I have thought of the same thing if I run into problems in our travels with T Mobile. I think I would purchase a Walmart Straight Talk, which is on Verizon towers if the AT&T Mobiley did not allow me to make wifi calls. I have had to use the Mobiley once when I didn't have Verizon service and it worked fine. With Verizon I had to use wifi calling at home, it is the only way it would work in the house.
I could have a reverse in service when we travel, so hopefully Walmart would solve that problem on a pay as you need basis. At least that is plan "B"
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2022, 06:03 AM   #30

I think I will give this a try. My home cell signal is non existent and OTR the T-mobile would give me a choice when the MR1100 (ATT) isn't able to pick up a cell tower. It would give me more flexibility for sure. Since the equipment is free and there is no long term sign up (month to month) it's worth a closer look for sure.

Thanks Chuck
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:18 AM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denie View Post
We'll have to look into other carriers once we start FT. Here in CA Verizon works for us when we go off road in the Sierras four wheeling. We've been with Verizon since 1997 but we're not married to them!
Verizon is still probably the #1 cell service in the nation. My problem was I live in an are where to many people winter with their #1 phone service where it had limited usage from Nov to April. For 2 years Verizon was "waiting" to switch to 5G. Then they were delayed because their equipment interfered with airport equipment. I live within 2 miles of page field, so no cell service improvement again for another season. I had to switch to a carrier that already had their improvements in place. The more that I have used T Mobile the happier I have been. The wireless home wifi they moved forward with for $50. is something the other carries have not done.

The home T Mobile wifi is just another tool for those looking for HotSpots now that FMCA is switching to AT&T. Many of us already have AT&T with the Mobiley that we were lucky enough to score for $23.45 years ago. The T-Mobile wireless home wifi, is wifi without having to change ones cell phone service. A wifi hotspot is going to be needed for traveling as most cell phone plans do not have the data for streaming, etc.
Old 06-12-2022, 07:04 AM   #32

I know lack of signal strength is not a function of service but it’s close and why phones have them on their screens.
Traveling from TX to now, NY, we noticed and commented on how few bars we’ve been experiencing.
Both Verizon and T-Mobile. Even on Interstates.
They’ve all sold the idea that everyone in your family including the dog, needs a phone. Well guess what…..
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:15 AM   #33

Yes, the ATT Mobley was the best plan to roll around since i have been traveling. It is my default. As I've already said, I blow through my 15 Gig "unlimited" high speed network traffic on Verizon (15 Gigs is a joke) with just the VegaTouch "talking" to its server, my temperature monitor system for remotely accessing the temps in the coach and the sticks and bricks, and very little real internet surfing. 15 Gigs just is minimal volume. I blow through the 15 gigs usually in 2 weeks (no streaming, No TV, nothing major) and I get the email from Verizon that I am down to 10% of service left before derating. The service that really has performed for me is ATT and that Mobley account just keeps working and passing data. Clearly the best move I made was getting in on that Mobley deal.

I have no love for Verizon and would drop them in an instant if there was something else truly better available out on the road. My 1 bar of Verizon signal at my S&B is tolerable except when it is too weak to ring my phone. But of course I have 200 Meg download cable service so I depend on the cell system for very little internet at home. Out on the road is where I need the connectivity the most and we spend a lot of time out in the SW and West and NW in what are often historically marginal conditions. There Verizon and ATT shine and there others historically fall short. But I am convinced that Verizon costs way more than they are worth, frankly, and their "deals" have not ever been as good as they sound.

If one of the other companies compete strongly out on the road, I'll jump to them in a second.

Great discussion of current conditions/status. Love the observations!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:39 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, one thing that might work for you when traveling. I have my phone on auto connect to the Mobily as soon as I walk in the coach. I also have wifi call turned on in my phone. I can toggle that if I am out of Verizon service, or leave it on and run off of AT&T and it will switch to Verizon cell if I am out of AT&T service.
I used that when we spent a couple of days in the Winter Park area to get Covid shots and it worked well for phone calls. The phone switch to T Mobile with AT&T being jammed up there during season.

Might try the lowest T Mobile package for one trip, you can cancel at anytime with no charge. If it works for you, transfer the Verizon number and upgrade the T Mobile package. Take the "free" phone and see if it works where you travel.
Old 06-12-2022, 08:53 AM   #35

Last time I checked Tmobile had a free 30 day test run called test drive. You sign up for multiple device, what you have now as primary and Tmobile as secondary. I did this in Florida and found Tmobile was better the my ATT Mr1100 and about on par with Verizon.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:20 AM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
Last time I checked Tmobile had a free 30 day test run called test drive. You sign up for multiple device, what you have now as primary and Tmobile as secondary. I did this in Florida and found Tmobile was better the my ATT Mr1100 and about on par with Verizon.
I checked yesterday and if you have either the Magenta Family or 55+ plan it's $30.00 per month with autopay.
SillyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:21 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
I think I will give this a try. My home cell signal is non existent and OTR the T-mobile would give me a choice when the MR1100 (ATT) isn't able to pick up a cell tower. It would give me more flexibility for sure. Since the equipment is free and there is no long term sign up (month to month) it's worth a closer look for sure.

Thanks Chuck
Bruce, let us know how it works. You and I fought the same problem last season with AT&T while you were down here. Enjoyed comparing notes that it was not just me. It will be informative how the T Mobile works in your area over AT&T. I know down here, all the difference in the world during season. Like you said, best part, it's "free" to try for 30 days. https://www.t-mobile.com/home-intern...AInternetDeals
Old 06-12-2022, 09:37 AM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyAnn View Post
I checked yesterday and if you have either the Magenta Family or 55+ plan it's $30.00 per month with autopay.
I saw that too, but I didn't want others thinking I was trying to sell T-Mobile phone switch. I've already been accused of that. Thanks for pointing that out. I have never seen the perks that work offered by any phone carrier I have been with since cell phones first came out. T-Mobile continues to come out with programs that are good deals and even better for subscribers.
Old 06-12-2022, 10:35 AM   #39

What amount of data is involved with those two plans (Magenta etc?)

Edit: Just Googled it. In the very small print down at the bottom, there are a lot of limitations if they invoke them....

Quote:

"Get more with Unlimited 55+ plans.
Save 50% with an Unlimited Essentials 55+ plan. That’s 2 unlimited lines on our Essentials 55+ plan for just $27.50/line with 5G access included—plus other great benefits and discounts. And thanks to Price Lock, we won’t raise the price of your rate plan.

During congestion, customers on this plan may notice speeds lower than other customers and further reduction if using >50GB/mo., due to data prioritization. Video typically streams on smartphone/tablet in SD quality. Tethering at max 3G speeds. Price lock guarantees regular mo. rate plan price of current on-network talk, text, & data for new accounts with qualifying service; certain exclusions apply. See full term"

Gary
Old 06-12-2022, 10:44 AM   #40

T Mobile 55+ Magenta plan is 40gigs hot spot each phone.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:53 AM   #41

The written plan says "50 Gigs" (see quote above)

Gary
Old 06-12-2022, 11:14 AM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
The written plan says "50 Gigs" (see quote above)

Gary
See link attached 5 GB for Magenta 55+ and 40 GB for Magenta Max.https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-...discount-plans
I run the Magenta while at home and update to the + when we travel. Only a $10 increase and can switch back.
Just like the Mobiley, it has all the disclosures, but so far I have not seen many where they have been throttled back. Snowbird Season in FL all bets are off for all services.