Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2022, 07:49 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
T Mobile Just keeps getting better.

I made the switch from Verizon the first of the year. I couldn't be happier. I did not have one dropped call from over loaded Verizon towers all during Snowbird season this year.

Here comes a new one that is also going to leave Verizon in the dust for mobility, as they should be T-Mobile has just made their wireless unlimited home wifi units mobile. https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/t-m...now-supported/
Will connection be 100% in all areas, probably not, but from my experience with Verizon for many years, the past few year their towers have been over loaded to the point in Florida it was almost the lowest provider available, except at 4 AM.

I did some checking at the store the other-day, it has a 30 day free trial and no long term contract. Did more checking at home and a MIMO antenna can be added. More info from T Mobile here. https://www.t-mobile.com/home-internet
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2022, 08:38 AM   #2

Chuck

I don't think that you are doing a lot of traveling. Do you think that your opinion would be the same if you were traveling across the country rather than fighting for cell space in Florida?

I'm certainly not trying to defend Verizon.... they have been a surprising disappointment to me. Even at my sticks and bricks house which is urban and should have wall to wall 4 and 5 bar service, I get one or two bars. I appear to be in a tower "shadow". There shouldn't be any shadows. Sometimes I don't even get cell calls, but it is due to lousy signal strength, not overcrowding.

But any of the companies that are not "majors" leave a lot to be desired when on the road..... they talk a good game, but they don't deliver.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:57 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I agree with you Gary. Verizon has been pretty good for us. We also had poor reception at home, but after mutiple complaints, they improved the signal strength.

BTW, we are parked in front of you (Cornerstone to the left one row over) at Lakeview. Monthly visit to MDA. We'll say hello if we see you out and about.
dcphil_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:06 AM   #4

I have a work provided Verizon hotspot and a personal Calyx T-Mobile unlimited 5G hot spot. Both serve as source for my Peplink.
T-mobile does pretty darn good in smaller cities and rural areas. Verizon seems better in larger cities ( DC or in Los Angeles)

In fairness I have only done one 10K miler trip with the T-Mobile device but only had issues in those 2 large cities. As a note, I stream for TV as well.
Certainly T-Mobile, in the 12500 miles I have used it is very good and in smaller cities or travel days is much better then Verizon. Trips were from DC through home in Nashville to Los Angeles routing north one way and south on the return.
I do a lot of Zoom calls for work and that taxes the upload side of the bandwidth. There have been a few instances on both providers where the audio for my zoom has to be directed to my cell phone (ATT) thus splitting the feed.
In general I would be very happy to have a consistent 1MB down and 100kB up for both work zoom and streaming but at times the up and down inconsistencies of delivered bandwidth leaves a lot to be desired.
I have seriously been looking at StarLink for RV but I am trying to hold off until we get around to the coach upgrade as an effective install of StarLink would be wasted if I upgraded a few months after getting it.

I think the idea is that perception is the rule and it has historically been perceived Verizon was great and T-Mobile was bad. That is NOT the case for either. In fact I would agree that T-Mobile is better then Verizon these days.
jeff.herren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had decent coverage with Verizon where folks on T-Mobile and others have had issues on coverage. If you stay near major markets and highways, you may do OK.

The one time we were having slow data issues with Verizon, I called and complained. They checked the coverage in our area and found that we were working from an older 4G tower that was not getting any additional upgrades of added channels because it was scheduled for the 5G upgrade. After some complaining, they agreed to mark my account as priority data for a short time so we did not get bumped down. It did help. Last time we were there, the data was better so I guess they had the 5G upgrade completed.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:29 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
The T-Mobile home wireless shows as not available at either of my two addresses (MI and FL). It seems this is not available except in certain areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I made the switch from Verizon the first of the year. I couldn't be happier. I did not have one dropped call from over loaded Verizon towers all during Snowbird season this year.

Here comes a new one that is also going to leave Verizon in the dust for mobility, as they should be T-Mobile has just made their wireless unlimited home wifi units mobile. https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/t-m...now-supported/
Will connection be 100% in all areas, probably not, but from my experience with Verizon for many years, the past few year their towers have been over loaded to the point in Florida it was almost the lowest provider available, except at 4 AM.

I did some checking at the store the other-day, it has a 30 day free trial and no long term contract. Did more checking at home and a MIMO antenna can be added. More info from T Mobile here. https://www.t-mobile.com/home-internet
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:44 AM   #7

Yeah....we had Tmobile to begin our 17k mile trip in 17 and dumped them 3k miles in. Their coverage was horrbile unless you were in close proximity to a major suburban area. Switched to Verizon and had much better reception nationwide and into Alaska. We now run with a Winegard 4g Lte with 150G and two cell phones with 60G hotspot. Couldn't be happier. Waiting on the Starlink reviews to see if I switch out for it. Always looking for better ways to get that data!
tmandoug1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:55 AM   #8

I have t-mobile on my second phone (Tello prepaid)
It worked better than Verizon in Florida last winter.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:20 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
T-Mobile has just made their wireless unlimited home wifi units mobile. https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/t-m...now-supported/
[/URL]
I am researching an alternative to FMCA TechConnect now that T-Mobile is not going to be part of the plan in about 45 days. I just found out T-Mobile Home Internet is available at our winter location in Webster, FL. I am glad to see that T-Mobile can now be moved, however, it still says this in their full terms: For use only with T-Mobile Gateway for in-home use at location provided at activation.

I "chatted" with a T-Mobile rep online, and they have a promotion that if you have the Magenta Family plan the home internet is only $30 more per month with autopay. We have the MagentaŽ MAX 55+ plan and she said the discount applies to that plan as well.

I'm going to try it and I'll let you all know if it works out for me and if I get the discounted monthly rate.
SillyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:30 AM   #10

Did a recent test with T-Mobile home internet while traveling in our RV. No external antenna yet.

Generally seemed to perform pretty well. One issue is that we did get throttled to 2G speeds in one campground after streaming TV for about an hour at night. Our t-mobile phones were not throttled, just the home internet gateway. Restarting the gateway didn't help. Throttle was removed by the morning. No notifications from t-mobile about the throttling. Campground was relatively empty.
whybother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 12:17 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I passed along the AT&T Mobiley when it I first received the invite from On-Star backed up by Voltdoc and his close eye on tech publication. It was so successful, it was gone in 60 days. Those that didn't want to try the AT&T Mobiley are sure wishing they did now.
Those that want to stay with Verizon.....perfect, It will leave the airways free longer for those of us that have switched to T Mobile. I really do hope all of the FL snowbirds do stay on Verizon and AT&T

T Mobile home wifi is still in the expansion stage, but it free for 15 to 30 days trial period. Website says 15 days, store told me 30. No contract or cancellation fees. If like the phones, a small activation fee. For free it's worth a try as we fight the constant battle for wifi. One thing nice about this one, it can be your home wifi, then taken with you instead of multiple wifi suppliers.

Gary, you are correct I do not have any road experience. I am strictly going by the experts linked in the first post that do this for a living and one of the key sources for Voldoc, the real expert. I also did not have any road experience when I bought into the limited Mobiley, but it worked and later became updateable with Nighthawk router.
Old 06-11-2022, 12:33 PM   #12

Quote:

Is this post some kind of affiliate marketing spam? Sure comes off like spam.
It certainly doesn't reflect my experience, or the experience of my friends.
T-mobile bought out Sprint. I was a Sprint customer. The were great. Since T mobile took over, customer service has gone from excellent to mediocre. There are suddenly dead spot everywhere, that weren't there before. Might be the worst cell company out there.
Run. Run fast, and don't look back.
Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 01:15 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
I have t-mobile on my second phone (Tello prepaid)
It worked better than Verizon in Florida last winter.
I think the Alexander Graham Bell crank up telephone worked better than Verizon and AT&T in FL last year. At least the was my experience and why I switched.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:30 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I saw a reference to MIMO in this thread. I was not familiar with the term, so I googled it and found this link. https://www.waveform.com/a/b/guides/...teway-arcadyan

For those that are using external antennas, do you use one in your RV?

I wonder why they make it so hard to access the Gateway's internal ports?
SillyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote